Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:55 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

There were questions raised by some here on the value of the addition of Jackson Labs at UConn's Medical Center in Farmington that only opened last fall. According to this article, 25 start up companies have come to the area on the heels of Jackson Labs opening. Just what the state wanted. It is still early but I think this is a decent number. Jay

UConn incubator adds three startups | HartfordBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:26 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There were questions raised by some here on the value of the addition of Jackson Labs at UConn's Medical Center in Farmington that only opened last fall. According to this article, 25 start up companies have come to the area on the heels of Jackson Labs opening. Just what the state wanted. It is still early but I think this is a decent number. Jay

UConn incubator adds three startups | HartfordBusiness.com

Most of these are spin-off labs from research being conducted at UCONN, the Health Center and in a few cases JAX-GM. Monetizing research labs with commercial applications is basically a new trendy thing schools are doing because of access to VC that didn't exist 2 decades ago (and owning the patents certainly helps motivate them too).

These start ups are based on research that's been going on here for a long time. It has little to do with Jackson Laboratories and everything to do with the fact that Bioteh, as an industry, has finally reached profitability and now venture firms are trying to get their piece of the pie.

This IS good news regardless. Silicon Valley made it's start with similar routes (Hewlett-Packard through collaboration with Stanford University and subsequent spin-offs) and essentially has the same model today but massively parallel. The idea that CT will become the next biotech hub is highly unlikely, however. This type of model is being replicated all over the country and it will be years to a decade, if ever before these companies will produce enough jobs to compensate for even one of these large employers leaving the state.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Seems like Lazy reporting..quantity of startups is not the ROI basis..quantity of NEW jobs created and sustained is. I didn't spot that in the article.

If 300 Jackson jobs are sustained, cost was $1 mill per job.

If its say 1,000 with suppliers, cost is 300k/job (300mill/1,000).

Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Looks like Pratt & Whitney's good fortune will be spreading to a number of companies based here in Connecticut. Good news for everyone. Jay

Pratt inks $1.22B in deals with Greater Hartford firms | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 06-26-2017, 03:27 AM

302 posts, read 220,363 times
To me CT is like Northern California in the 90's. There is a ton of activity involving health and wellness, children's enrichment, art and tech start-ups, foodie groups, like craft breweries, farm to table eating, and independents.

The amenities for families are fantastic and real estate here is SO much more affordable than the Golden State.

Also, there is an outdoorsy vibe, nature, hikes, parks, trails and the like that one can do with families in tow, that makes CT so great.

I predict that West Coasters will discover Connecticut as our state school system, UC CONN and State School and JC's get more and more press.

Already, you see a ton of internationals going to our high schools and colleges.

As states like California become more fringe and less safe, folks will find Connecticut and feel so pleased.

Also, families will continue to find CT from New York, Rockland, Long Island, New Jersey, Bergen County, Westchester County, the Bronx and Queens.

When you move here from these places, CT is paradise.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstermomdanbury View Post
To me CT is like Northern California in the 90's. There is a ton of activity involving health and wellness, children's enrichment, art and tech start-ups, foodie groups, like craft breweries, farm to table eating, and independents.

The amenities for families are fantastic and real estate here is SO much more affordable than the Golden State.

Also, there is an outdoorsy vibe, nature, hikes, parks, trails and the like that one can do with families in tow, that makes CT so great.

I predict that West Coasters will discover Connecticut as our state school system, UC CONN and State School and JC's get more and more press.

Already, you see a ton of internationals going to our high schools and colleges.

As states like California become more fringe and less safe, folks will find Connecticut and feel so pleased.

Also, families will continue to find CT from New York, Rockland, Long Island, New Jersey, Bergen County, Westchester County, the Bronx and Queens.

CT is nothing like early tech scene days of Cali. Additionally, there is no underlying driving force, such as the internet boom of the 90's to create the level of demand necessary to attract investors at such scale needed to recreate such a history. Lastly, if removing CT from that description it describes dozens of metros all over the country, and CT lags behind every one of them in tech and has the least sustainable policies to support the explosive growth, if and when the time is right.

With that said, west coasters are not moving to CT, they are moving to Colorado, Utah and Texas. So stick with NY.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:45 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:

The numbers don't reflect what you're saying.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The numbers don't reflect what you're saying.
Agreed with Stylo. The foundation to some of those mini-sectors is growing -- but they're growing elsewhere, too. Craft breweries and farm-to-table eating are New England trends. They're also not powerhouse industries that can shift the state's dire economic situation.

Our "big 3" are Aerospace Manufacturing, Healthcare, and Higher Education; two of those three industries are unmovable. i.e. you can't "relocate" Yale University, the Yale New Haven Hospital & Hartford Hospital systems that stretches across the state. As Jay pointed out, Pratt & Whitney is investing in local companies, so it's stable for now.

One tech-related industry that's often underappreciated is battery development. Duracell's domestic headquarters is in Bethel, but last year, they explored moving it to Chicago. While they're not as sexy as Tesla and they don't employ as many CT residents, it would still be another PR-hit to Connecticut if they were to move. Other than them, Datto Inc. (the data security company in Norwalk) and Priceline.com, our tech industry is a joke compared to Route 128 in Boston.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:

Thank You Hipstermom. It's nice to see the above from someone who is from out of state. You are near Candlewood Lake and it is so nice up there. A lot of people who were born here in CT are getting so down on our state but I am trying to keep a positive outlook. I am telling everyone my husband and I want to stay in CT for retirement and they think we are crazy. BTW, I am an old hipster.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:12 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Thank You Hipstermom. It's nice to see the above from someone who is from out of state. You are near Candlewood Lake and it is so nice up there. A lot of people who were born here in CT are getting so down on our state but I am trying to keep a positive outlook. I am telling everyone my husband and I want to stay in CT for retirement and they think we are crazy. BTW, I am an old hipster.
Expensive cost of living aside, CT offers a great lifestyle for retirement if you're willing to bear the winters.

The dire economic situation has more impact, IMO, to those who aren't nearing retirement... where companies and jobs are exiting the state leading to lesser opportunities (both in quantity of jobs available and in wages).

I love CT but I often internally debate on whether the quality of life is worth it once taxes and wacky economic outlook are taken into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut