Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have not experienced that on Saturdays, just pretty minor slowdowns approaching the New Haven border in West Haven to the Q Bridge.
What?? Sorry but that is not true at all. EVERY Saturday afternoon from May through September, 95N is backed up from about 11 am - 2 pm between Milford and Guilford. I drove south today to do shopping in Milford and I took some photos of northbound traffic for you so you can see for yourself. I'll post them tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
I think people who come to Westport looking for a stuck up attitude, find it. They more or less set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think you would find that if you gave Westport a fair shot, there are certainly people who are stuck up, but the majority of people are down to Earth, pleasant and considerate.

Is there social pressure here? Sure. There's also social pressure in Madison, Trumbull and West Hartford.

Regarding serenity: I'll be walking on Compo Beach tomorrow at first light. I guarantee that will be pretty serene.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You might be right on the difficulty of the drive, but this is patently false. Westport DOES NOT have the serenity and feel of Madison in any way, shape, or form. Or the natural coastal beauty. The people are completely different as well, and the town itself is much more congested. Westport is a GREAT town with a lot of good qualities, but they are not similar.

On top of that, it's far fetched to say the schools are "better". So they score 5% better in standardized tests? So what. I've heard nothing but rave things about Madison schools.
These are two affluent shoreline towns with excellent schools. They are more similar than not, especially the people. In terms of aesthetics, that is totally subjective. I find watching people scull on the Saugatuck in the early morning hours to be pretty serene.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 AM

109 posts, read 161,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It seems as if you're letting people decide where is best for you to live. Madison may very well be it - but it would be in your best interest to check out the communities yourself. After all, you did say you were open to the idea of other communities initially - now you're saying you're only considering the Madison area. So if that's the case, why did you post here asking for our opinions? What changed in one day?

FWIW, I have lived in both areas and the "attitudes" in Madison and Westport are not much different.
I got a lot done in one day
Definitely not letting other people decide where I should live......just collecting as much info as I can to help with me decision. I stumbled upon Madison of my own accord.....but want to make sure I check out all options so I know its the right choice for me instead of rushing headlong into it. I am definitely going to be checking out these other towns very soon, I have some time in June.
And I truly value all the time people have taken to reply, thank-you

Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Correct Madison and Westport are not much different. Westport feels more connected to NY. I don't know what that means for you. I do I-95 almost every Friday, and have for many years, plus some. Although is a lot less than 6-7 hours for you, whatever it will be, it'll get old fast. I also understand that your main reason shouldn't be proximity to your ex. I would check Fairfield, and Guilford. Schools are also great there, although may not be statistically up with Westport, Madison.

As parent of a 14, almost 15-year old, who takes subways and trains thruout the tristate area on her own, I would also look into train schedules. My daughter has taken MetroNorth and Shoreline for 2 years now, and her (girl)friends from Madison take the train also to NYC on their own.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
I've been talking to people who know me and have experience of some of the towns that have been suggested. They all agree I would HATE being in Westport or Darien, its just not me and they think some of the attitudes would drive me crazy. Although I am able to look at affluent towns I'm also pretty down to earth too. My gut feel was that I would feel too trapped there and I think they are right.
Personally, i don't care for the overall "attitude" of Westport or Darien. Even if i had the resources to live in either one, i don't believe that i would be interested in them.

However, the "attitudes" of those communities aren't all that dissimilar to the "attitudes" that you will find in the inland towns that surround those 2 towns. The inland towns are generally perceived as being "friendlier", but that's more a byproduct of the lower density("rural") nature of the towns. The "attitudes" aren't as in your face as they would be in more densely populated coastal town. But, the "attitudes" definitely exist.

I would take Madison in a heartbeat over Westport and Darien, but i just wanted to point out that your perceptions may be clouded a bit by the fact that you currently live in a "rural" suburb.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Jay, pay attention to what I wrote. I did not say AmTrak stops in Norwich- AmTrak stops in Stamford- re-read my post. Dad can make the effort to get himself to Stamford to get his daughter - it's not far.

It's much faster that way than taking Shoreline east to New Haven , then having to wait for a Metro North connection. Also, AmTrak is just one stop ( in New Haven) before going down to Stamford unlike Shoreline East which is going to poke along from Madison to Guilford to Branford to two stops in New Haven. Shoreline East also has limited weekend and later in the weekend evening service.

Those of us and family who actually use these eastern ends of the rail line have long since figured out how make best use of the rail service. What I presented is a perfectly viable alternative to not having to drive to New Haven in summer traffic.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Jay, pay attention to what I wrote. I did not say AmTrak stops in Norwich- AmTrak stops in Stamford- re-read my post. Dad can make the effort to get himself to Stamford to get his daughter - it's not far.

It's much faster that way than taking Shoreline east to New Haven , then having to wait for a Metro North connection. Also, AmTrak is just one stop ( in New Haven) before going down to Stamford unlike Shoreline East which is going to poke along from Madison to Guilford to Branford to two stops in New Haven. Shoreline East also has limited weekend and later in the weekend evening service.

Those of us and family who actually use these eastern ends of the rail line have long since figured out how make best use of the rail service. What I presented is a perfectly viable alternative to not having to drive to New Haven in summer traffic.
Amtrak is a good alternative. However, it is not as frequent either for stops at OSB for points South, especially on weekends too. Guilford would be a short trip to NH for MetroNorth, and avoiding most traffic. Plus on weekends Guilford has more Shoreline trains than Madison. And they're all connecting to MetroNorth. Some shoreline trains also run thru to Norwalk/Stamford.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Maybe it's just me- but there is a certain bit of attitude projected everytime Madison "is not like Westport or shoreline towns in FFC." That's the very mentality that pushed Westport and Darien to their current stereotypes. Madison's natural beauty is not superior either- particularly from perspective on the water. Darien has a lot of undeveloped lots in the tokeneke area on the water- complete with cliffs, bluffs and beautiful coastline. It may not be a state park, but it is pristine and undisturbed.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What?? Sorry but that is not true at all. EVERY Saturday afternoon from May through September, 95N is backed up from about 11 am - 2 pm between Milford and Guilford. I drove south today to do shopping in Milford and I took some photos of northbound traffic for you so you can see for yourself. I'll post them tomorrow.
I don't doubt you. I'll have to pay closer attention. Though I just shot over the Q bridge minutes ago and it was super clear. But it's also Sunday.

The completion of the new bridge in 2-3 years will make a massive difference.

Btw, Google Maps average traffic for Saturday 1:30PM attached. However, that's averaged for the whole year.
Attached Thumbnails
Possibly moving to Madison CT-screen-shot-2013-05-12-12.31.25  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut