Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

I would have to say Bridgepit all the way. It's kind of a lost city between New Haven and Stamford.

Hartford IMO is more of what one would consider a "traditional" city with the skyscraper core, corporations, arts, culture etc ringed by suburbs and rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM

141 posts, read 228,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
As moderator my mission here is to give fair, and unbiased answers that try and reflect the current geographic realities of both cities. I feel my background in geography, urban planning, urban geography and sociology allow me a more broad and 'liberal view'

I feel I did answer the question- and it was not a 'stock' or generic response as you say. As a moderator I try and give responses that are in fact 'moderate'.

Hartford has yes come along further in eliminating many of its problems- That is something we can all agree on. However Hartford and Bridgeport are still vexed with crime, low income, high taxes, and rampant drugs. (as is New Haven)

Bridgeport has been bedeviled by inept corrupt politico's, low self esteem, and has become the 'stepchild' to the current renaissance going on in Hartford and New Haven. But hope springs eternal- and Bridgeport's enormous potential may be born out in the new 'Steel Point' project being conceived which could be a great new beginning to utilize the cities wonderful waterfront.

And as far as comparing Connecticut cities with elsewhere- I feel that comparisons are helpful to others. There are in fact many myths about this state, and its urban centers that need to be exposed.

The OP asked, "which city do you think is worse off currently bridgeport or hartford?" CURRENTLY, not in the future. Not as compared to NYC or whatever.

Unfortunately this happens frequently on this forum. People say what the want to say without regard for the original poster's question. It is just par for the course, I guess.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonewman View Post
As far as I can tell there is no good part of Bridgeport.
Cosmonewman - You are SOOOOO wrong. There are MANY very nice parts of Bridgeport. What you see from I-95 as you whiz thru is not the entire city. Check out Black Rock, the North End, Beardsley Park or Brooklawn. These areas cover about 2/3 of the city and they are very nice areas to live and work. Just because everyting is not bright and shiney new doesn't mean it is bad. Jay

Old 11-09-2007, 04:14 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
cosmonewman

are you the new moderator?

Last edited by skytrekker; 11-09-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 PM

67 posts, read 319,691 times
Hartford.

Bridgeport has many things working against it. Bridgeport does not get the level of state funding for projects that Hartford does because it is not the state capital of Connecticut. This is not just a CT problem though. Boston receives most of the states financing while Springfield and Worcester get ripped off.

Bridgeport is also in a great location but for some reason cannot or will not take advantages of its location near NYC. City after city has seen change for the better thanks to NYC. Newark, Jersey City, Hoboken, White Plains, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Stamford and New Haven have all taken advantage of their location and as a result have seen major reinvestment in their cities.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 PM

51 posts, read 222,816 times
Hartford is the capital of Connecticut--thusly attracting more residents...offices..corporations and the like since its beginning. There are still many areas where the science and math scores are LOW !!

Bridgeport has been a stopping point NOT A STAYING point for eons---as the people treked from New York to Boston !

In Hartford the several colleges and such offer educations and then jobs for all sorts of interests.......and in Bridgeport..this is the place to come if you are a nurse...a Docter...a college student........there are gret communities in Bridgeport..as well as places to avoid.....the earlier poster stating about MURDER...probably is on the east side--which offers cheap rents for business.........but the surrounding areas are just NOT the best...this is what helps skewer the thoughts on which is better..If you coming here to work from a suburban town to one of the more run down areas--yet MUST because thats where YOU found work...your ideas about this town will not be great.I do not travel much to the east side of the city !.But I CAN STILL TELL YOU ABOUT--- BRIDGEPORT HOSPITAL...on the East Side...Frankies Diner...well kown for its Sunday Church crowd....meatloaf dinners..short rib dinners...yet also an occasional rowdy after bar crowd late night on the weekends..... off of Stratford Ave---LOBSTER COVE..twin Lobsters--$20.00....right at the waters edge...several manufacturing companys..and a deep water harbor where a new fast boat builder arrived a few years back. This east side was also home to several extremely large marinas...that brought in boaters fromall over !

Hartford will always be an important City...because of it being the Capital. Bridgeport dosen't have that luxury...and must offer things on its own.........2 Hospitals......Corporate Office for three banks........Playhouses......Parks.......Universit ys....Capt. Cove ( the landing place for many boats owned by people from ALL OF THE OTHER TOWNS--that obviously are NOT AFRAID OF BRIDGEPORT !!! ).and foods from all over the world.

We offer more than Hartford.....but not a capital...in that case Hartford has us beat...but we are on the Long Island Sound....and closer to New York which brings its own flavor and problems..than a land locked Hartford !

Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 AM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
Quote:
We offer more than Hartford.....but not a capital...in that case Hartford has us beat...but we are on the Long Island Sound....and closer to New York which brings its own flavor and problems..than a land locked Hartford !

Land locked Hartford? Last time I checked Hartford was on the banks of the Connecticut river.

Bridgeport has more to offer than Hartford? Come on dude, have you been to Hartford?

Old 11-17-2007, 02:00 PM

333 posts, read 467,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonewman View Post
Unfortunately this happens frequently on this forum. People say what the want to say without regard for the original poster's question. It is just par for the course, I guess.
It's called elaboration. I'm guilty of it sometimes, too.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM

141 posts, read 228,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
cosmonewman

are you the new moderator?
No, just anal retentive, but you already knew that...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
they're pretty damn close. but i'll go with bridgeport.

hartford has the whole capital city and civic center going for it.

but, bridgeport does have the jai-alai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut