Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Q4 was bang up for CT. GDP growth of 2.4. Very nice and on par with everyone else.

The Annual 2017 GDP growth of -0.2 is not great. Not sure what qualifies as "is not that bad" but that GDP number of -0.2 puts us along side Kansas and Louisiana, two states that we CT folks make fun of all the time because they are "not as good as CT."

So yes we are not the worst state but when Alabama and Mississippi beat out good ole yankee state such as CT its kind of funny.

Just for some back story, CT GDP has contracted in 3 out of 4 past years and our GDP, counting inflation is smaller than it was in 2008. https://www.postbulletin.com/news/bu...d05f5724c.html

Yes, we aren't that bad. I mean we are having a windfall of tax receipts this year so maybe that is a si to come or.... It just means two tax changes collided at the same time and it is a one time deal. We'll be back next year and check it out.
I think CT should fix up it cities to become economic engine

Massachusetts got Boston
Pennsylvania got Philly and Pittsburgh
North Carolina got Charlotte and Raleigh

Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM

845 posts, read 680,429 times
The only advantage Connecticut cities have are cheap suburbs outside of the city itself. With the rebirth of cities now being the "in thing" for probably another 20ish years I find it hard to believe Hartford can compete with the economic juggernaut of Boston or New York.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Had Htfd gone Bk they would have had a chance. City doesnt have enough funds to run as it is.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
The only advantage Connecticut cities have are cheap suburbs outside of the city itself. With the rebirth of cities now being the "in thing" for probably another 20ish years I find it hard to believe Hartford can compete with the economic juggernaut of Boston or New York.
How about Jersey City, Providence, Fort Lauderdale etc ? Even The Bronx is coming back slowly

Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Jersey city, the Bronx are much cheaper than the other boroughs. Ez commute to NYC.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Jersey city, the Bronx are much cheaper than the other boroughs. Ez commute to NYC.
You mean easier commute to Manhattan

Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
That should be CT's new logo, put it on all our license plates: "CT is not that bad really. At least we are not the worst state!"
lol

I know where we should put it. You know the sign on the parkway coming into CT. The new sign should read:

Governor Malloy welcomes you.
CT is not that bad really.
At least we are not the worst state.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I find Cities to CT to be interesting.

Norwalk and Stamford have a strong balance of various socioeconomic neighborhoods.

Bridgeport and New Haven a socioeconomic gap starts to become more noticeable. Out side of the Cities home property cost is expensive.

Then Waterbury high property taxes. Centrally located City that acts more as a Commuter City, but has some attractions.

Then Hartford improving. It's the Capital has amenities that a Capital has. Variety of neighborhoods and history. Though town's outside of Hartford are very expensive.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
lol

I know where we should put it. You know the sign on the parkway coming into CT. The new sign should read:

Governor Malloy welcomes you.
CT is not that bad really.
At least we are not the worst state.
Thats like the Welcome "rest stop" on I84.. I always feel like it should say "Welcome to CT, but only when we say so!" because of the sign that says we are only open so and so hours.. most of which are not useful.

I have driven a lot.. and the states we like to poke fun of up here like MS for example, have gorgeous welcome centers.. they even give free coffee! If a state that poor can afford to have great facilities, how the heck can we not afford it here?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:55 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
That should be CT's new logo, put it on all our license plates: "CT is not that bad really. At least we are not the worst state!"
Come on now. People seem to forget what a great state Connecticut really is. Despite all the overblown doom and gloom that some people here like to throw around, Connecticut is still one of the most affluent states in the country and as has been shown here numerous times, it is only getting wealthier. Affluent people would not be moving here if is was so bad.

Also note that Connecticut has one of the most stable economies in the country. During recessions you do not see the wide swings that you commonly see in the celebrated boom and bust states. We have one of the highest GDP's per capita in the country (fourth according to the link below). And we ALWAYS rate high in quality of life, education and health.

We are within a 2 hour drive of two of the greatest cities in the world. We have a stunning coastline, beautiful hills and some of the most charming towns in the country. We are very protective of our state's character so we have some of the strongest zoning laws in the country. You don't see a lot of the ugly sprawl you find in other states. In a short drive you can be in the mountains, the seashore, the city or the country. If that is not great, I do not know what is. Jay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itories_by_GDP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut