Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Who cares about growth?
Many like I do. Growth is about the future one builds, not the old wealth one may have acquired.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We are not even on short lists for new teams or teams needing to relocate. It's safe to assume the Whalers will be our only pro team ever, and that is acceptable even for this sports fan.
That's right Blaine Stoughton and Ron Francis are long gone. CT has a dozen major 4s at an arm's length distance. The leagues won't let any more in. You can throw from Milford to Citi Field, it's right there. Boston is right around the corner from eastern CT fanbase. It's so infallible they even have PED steroid addicted cheaters getting in the HOF on the first ballot.

Quote:
Many like I do. Growth is about the future one builds, not the old wealth one may have acquired.
How's NJ's growth? You love the Boss. I'm a huge Ted Nugent fan from way back. Now that's a real rocker.
If someone is willing to build up housing in Tolland to grow CT I'm all for it. Around here in THE County we don't have any room like they do in SC. We're bursting at the seams.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

How's NJ's growth? .
Its lousy also. From Maryland up, only Massachusetts has consistently performed well. Great leadership there under Baker who I was lucky enough to have met.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
. Around here in THE County we don't have any room like they do in SC. We're bursting at the seams.
We have 7 other counties, 5 with plenty of room, but few takers to fully utilize it.

5 counties have less than 500 residents/square mile. Hartford has 1,222. NHC & FFC even more.

Those 5 are NOT utilized well, at all.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:51 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Here we go yet again.

Who cares about growth? That is just a measure of change and means little when you are already at the top economically. Connecticut is No. 5 for per capita Gross Domestic Product and No. 1 in Household Income, Family
Income and Disposable Income. That affluence likely has meant that people here don’t need to work, thus we have sluggish job recovery and a severe labor shortage. If anything that is admirable.

I'd like to see some stats of how people like me, who moved to CT full-time from NYC have boosted income and spending. Just like me, for most people this move is temporary. Either move back to NYC, or for greener and warmer pastures

About people having more disposable income -- this is also temporary. When Covid is over people will go back to their spending ways. Just right now, many people are scared. Just look at the highways in green today in FFC. Many people are staying home.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:51 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
We can't. We consistently under-perform not just the nation, but New England. The pattern is long-term.
But there has to be some options for CT. Boston succeeds because of its great urbanity, proximity to elite universities and its unparalleled quality of living. There are congestion concerns and underfunding of its extensive transportation network. However, the stick of intellectual property is high.

Well, CT also has this too. CT has an ivy, a few elite universities and some great state universities. CT is located in close proximity to BOS, and NYC. Another fast(ish) growing MSA. What is missing in CT? Ct Has the universities, there are a few great cities with the opportunity of nice urbanity. Not to mention, CT is attractive. CT is very attractive.

My suggestions for CT
-Fix Mill Rates. Absolutely absurd. Worst part about CT imho.
-Add tolls on 95
-Incentivize developers in less than desirable areas, New London, Hartford, etc.

I think where JayCt might be mislead, as someone who works for the most dense county in NJ as a planner, growth doesnt always mean population growth. Economic growth is great too. Rehabing our cities, which can be done.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-26-2022 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-26-2022, 10:15 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Quote:
We have 7 other counties, 5 with plenty of room, but few takers to fully utilize it.

5 counties have less than 500 residents/square mile. Hartford has 1,222. NHC & FFC even more.

Those 5 are NOT utilized well, at all.
As usual this is only your opinion. You want to destroy our state to meet some made up criteria that only states that grow can succeed. Connecticut has been proving you wrong for decades now.

The true measures of economic success proves our state is economically successful. Since you keep stubbornly refusing to acknowledge the facts, I will once again repeat them. Connecticut is in the Top 5 for per capita Real Gross Domestic Product and No. 1 for Family and Household income. That proves success and despite your consistent negative view means we do not need growth.

I will also say your opinion that five counties “have room” for growth shows a very narrow view and knowledge of our state. You assume that because these counties have not been overrun with very dense development it means land is not “used well”. What you fail to understand is that the vast majority of the state does not want that type of development AT ALL. You forget that dense development means losing valuable agricultural land and open space. Our state has already lost too many farms and too much wetlands and woodlands which is why the state and many towns are VERY actively working to preserve what’s left. In addition to this, towns in our state have set strong planning and zoning guidelines to preserve and protect our states unique charm and character. Without this our state would be another New Jersey, California or even worse Florida. Jay

Old 01-26-2022, 10:28 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
As usual this is only your opinion. You want to destroy our state to meet some made up criteria that only states that grow can succeed. Connecticut has been proving you wrong for decades now.

The true measures of economic success proves our state is economically successful. Since you keep stubbornly refusing to acknowledge the facts, I will once again repeat them. Connecticut is in the Top 5 for per capita Real Gross Domestic Product and No. 1 for Family and Household income. That proves success and despite your consistent negative view means we do not need growth.

I will also say your opinion that five counties “have room” for growth shows a very narrow view and knowledge of our state. You assume that because these counties have not been overrun with very dense development it means land is not “used well”. What you fail to understand is that the vast majority of the state does not want that type of development AT ALL. You forget that dense development means losing valuable agricultural land and open space. Our state has already lost too many farms and too much wetlands and woodlands which is why the state and many towns are VERY actively working to preserve what’s left. In addition to this, towns in our state have set strong planning and zoning guidelines to preserve and protect our states unique charm and character. Without this our state would be another New Jersey, California or even worse Florida. Jay
Its high, but its also starkly inequitable. Hartford, Bridgeport and Waterbury are some of the poorest POC cities in the country that border some of the richest, whitest towns in the country. There are room for improvement in the cities that are doing so poorly. Obviously, if you live ina Glastonbury, Newington, WeHa, Simsbury, Greenwich, etc you wont see this. You may think differently. But we have lots of room to improve and grow (economically) where we can.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
As usual this is only your opinion.
Yes, it is. Forums tend to bring out multiple points of view.

Mine mirrors what many economists have said for a long time in Ct, btw.

I'd like to see towns other than Stamford or Norwalk getting new office complexes, not just Amazon DCs.

Perhaps if Bridgeport adds a new office of substance, that town can even keep one respectable hotel open.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its high, but its also starkly inequitable. Hartford, Bridgeport and Waterbury are some of the poorest POC cities in the country that border some of the richest, whitest towns in the country. There are room for improvement in the cities that are doing so poorly. Obviously, if you live ina Glastonbury, Newington, WeHa, Simsbury, Greenwich, etc you wont see this. You may think differently. But we have lots of room to improve and grow (economically) where we can.

My first office job was in the Naugatuck Valley, and a relative placed tons of men in quality jobs there a few decades back, when industry thrived. It saddens me to see the state that region is in now. There is no hope for men with those backgrounds in that region now. Weicker's 2 Connecticuts is an even harsher reality than it was when he talked of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut