Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM

34,009 posts, read 17,041,831 times

Advertisements

The Shock Of Change: Insurance Connection To Hartford Unraveling - Hartford Courant

Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 AM

453 posts, read 530,648 times
The Hartford's office building and adjoining property in Simsbury has found a buyer:

The Silverman Group Announces It Will Acquire The Hartford Property In Simsbury - Hartford Courant

Prediction: Upscale apartments/condos, retail, medical in a new urbanist type of development. There is already a similar development being built further up route 10 in Simsbury called Dorset Crossing. I don't see the building being rehabbed for a corporate tenant and will probably face the same fate as Aetna in Middletown.

The location is spectacular with views of Talcott Mountain and the Hueblein Tower, and right on the Farmington River.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM

I don't want to make this a Columbus versus CT thread, but since the other NEP threads have been getting closed, I thought this was funny:

Amazon.com now planning 2,000 jobs in Ohio - Columbus - Columbus Business First

Amazon brings 500 jobs to CT and we leap for joy. Amazon is bringing upwards of 2,000 jobs to the Columbus area and it's just a drop in the bucket. The development thread there is nothing but positive news. I realize Ohio has Cleveland (slowly recovering) and Toledo (not so much), but Columbus is doing exceedingly well. Its success, however, is also driving home prices there past the 2006 peak.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
I don't want to make this a Columbus versus CT thread, but since the other NEP threads have been getting closed, I thought this was funny:

Amazon brings 500 jobs to CT and we leap for joy. Amazon is bringing upwards of 2,000 jobs to the Columbus area and it's just a drop in the bucket. The development thread there is nothing but positive news. I realize Ohio has Cleveland (slowly recovering) and Toledo (not so much), but Columbus is doing exceedingly well. Its success, however, is also driving home prices there past the 2006 peak.
Ohio is in much, much better economic shape than CT. Ohio is attracting people and businesses. CT is pushing out people and businesses.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Ohio is in much, much better economic shape than CT. Ohio is attracting people and businesses. CT is pushing out people and businesses.
Ehh, I would limit the success to the Columbus metro, which benefits from Ohio State (one of the biggest universities in the country) and being the capital. Ohio still has Toledo, Youngstown, Akron, Dayton, etc. which are on par with CT's cities. Cleveland is starting to attract attention though.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:

If you read the article you will see they are "leaping for joy" also (as they should). And the only one who seems to be making a big deal about Amazon here in Connecticut is one poster who seems to feel the jobs are meaningless because they are not high-paying positions. And yes, this is off topic to this forum but I will let it ride since this was discussed before. Jay

Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Ehh, I would limit the success to the Columbus metro, which benefits from Ohio State (one of the biggest universities in the country) and being the capital. Ohio still has Toledo, Youngstown, Akron, Dayton, etc. which are on par with CT's cities. Cleveland is starting to attract attention though.
Cleveland and Cincinnati are also going through renaissance as we speak. There are plenty of jobs there, too. It's not just Columbus, but Columbus happens to be the best performer in OH.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
I guess it depends who you are...

Ohio Poverty Rate: 16%
Connecticut Poverty Rate: 10%

Ohio Median Household Income: 47K
Connecticut Median Household Income: 68K

Difference from National Average Tax Rate (Total Taxation)
Ohio +21%
Connecticut +26%

And *Surprise* Population Growth Rate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate
Ohio + 0.5%
CT + 0.63%

Facts matter.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I guess it depends who you are...

Ohio Poverty Rate: 16%
Connecticut Poverty Rate: 10%

Ohio Median Household Income: 47K
Connecticut Median Household Income: 68K

Difference from National Average Tax Rate (Total Taxation)
Ohio +21%
Connecticut +26%

And *Surprise* Population Growth Rate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate
Ohio + 0.5%
CT + 0.63%

Facts matter.
Ohio has a $2 billion surplus, CT has a multi-hundred million deficit. Ohio has a lower unemployment rate, much more jobs, and a much better cost of living to income ratio. I don't have the exact numbers, but I know you know how to use Google. The population growth rate in Columbus trumps anything in CT.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Ohio has a $2 billion surplus, CT has a multi-hundred million deficit.
How much of that will you get to spend? If you divide that by the population of Ohio its $84 bucks a person. Will that be coming to you in a refund check? If so will you go out for one expensive meal, or a few cheap meals?

Quote:
Ohio has a lower unemployment rate, much more jobs, and a much better cost of living to income ratio. I don't have the exact numbers, but I know you know how to use Google. The population growth rate in Columbus trumps anything in CT.
CT population is growing faster than Ohio. See the statistics I just posted.

Neither growth rate is anything to jump up and down about.

I am happy you made a move that is good for you. No need to come back here in a veiled attempt to trash Connecticut. Go out, live and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut