Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 04:11 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
How do you advertise job openings now a days?

When I search for jobs in my industry its all temp jobs and or headhunter sponsored jobs. Really no direct hiring as far as I can tell. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong websites.
I forgot, what's your field?

We have cultivated relationships with the local schools which supplies us with a pretty stead stream of candidates. For support positions, we use Craigslist. We got our office manager and one our technical writers through Craigslist and they've been with us years.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:04 PM

370 posts, read 608,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I think Connecticut is growing at a healthy rate. The negative news calmed down and now we are getting reports like the ones above about smaller companies starting to grow.

Perhaps the health of the economy is improving significantly, plus with this growth and Hartford County home prices down this could equal a very nice leap.
The negative news is real and well justified. Not good news in Danbury, I heard there are plenty of former GE Capital employees leaving the state and I'm sure there will be plenty more...

Praxair Buys Danbury Office Building For $20M For New World HQ | The Danbury Daily Voice

Old 08-12-2015, 05:34 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,831,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I forgot, what's your field?

We have cultivated relationships with the local schools which supplies us with a pretty stead stream of candidates. For support positions, we use Craigslist. We got our office manager and one our technical writers through Craigslist and they've been with us years.
My field is accounting. Even checking craigslist I only see temp or head hunter sponsored jobs. They are not always easy to identify though.

It's good to know someone has actually had success with craigslist's employment forum.

The only success I've had on craigslist is selling and buying stuff.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,341 times
Quote:
My field is accounting. Even checking craigslist I only see temp or head hunter sponsored jobs. They are not always easy to identify though.

It's good to know someone has actually had success with craigslist's employment forum.

I was actually surprised by the quality of jobs offered by placement firms like McIntyre Group and ExecuSearch. I used both to put out feelers when I was looking for accounting jobs in FFC. I didn't end up taking a position from them but I'd try them again if I needed to... they had a decent selection from entry-level to director roles at all sizes of companies.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:17 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:

I'm always looking for small bookkeeping jobs.

I have found jobs in CL, but it's hard to weed through the spam. I report a lot of them.

Sometimes I place my own ads. Note to self.....

Old 08-13-2015, 07:00 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
The negative news is real and well justified. Not good news in Danbury, I heard there are plenty of former GE Capital employees leaving the state and I'm sure there will be plenty more...

Praxair Buys Danbury Office Building For $20M For New World HQ | The Danbury Daily Voice
Why is this bad news? A major company is buying a building for their headquarters which means they will be keeping jobs here. It is not as good as their original plan to build a new building but still it is hardly bad news either. Jay

Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,408 times
REALLY?

3 New Haven-area companies propose 145 layoffs

Quest (which we knew about), a financial company and healthcare company closing it's Wallingford office by Sept 30. Wallingford seems to be a hot spot for business activity, good and bad.

No one (I think) mentioned this BLYTHE is moving it's HQ out of Greenwich to Mass next month. http://www.ctpost.com/business/artic...of-6440677.php citing cost reduction and reconstruction. Also, they plan to merge businesses.

Still, in the end CT still is gaining jobs as pointed out in previous posts.

Last edited by Mr_250; 08-13-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 02:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Today I hired two people for our Vernon office. Two more jobs. ��
Too bad you didn't post the openings here. I would LOVE to work for you. Do nothing, watch TV, get drunk, all the while you would support and pay me It's for the children.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Too bad you didn't post the openings here. I would LOVE to work for you. Do nothing, watch TV, get drunk, all the while you would support and pay me It's for the children.
Absurd. But you would love to work for me. Generally people do, because we treat them fairly, have room for advancement and make the environment fun-- without minimizing the serious of getting work done. We continue to grow, so I am doing something right.

We're not a social service agency. We're a for profit business. I'm a capitalist, my friend. That doesn't mean I have to step on those less lucky and fortunate.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:42 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
REALLY?

3 New Haven-area companies propose 145 layoffs

Quest (which we knew about), a financial company and healthcare company closing it's Wallingford office by Sept 30. Wallingford seems to be a hot spot for business activity, good and bad.

No one (I think) mentioned this BLYTHE is moving it's HQ out of Greenwich to Mass next month. Blyth earnings down again pending move out of Connecticut - Connecticut Post citing cost reduction and reconstruction. Also, they plan to merge businesses.

Hopefully, Blythe will let employees move with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut