Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

[quote=mlassoff;41302640]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post

I have no idea what you're talking about. I watch SC at least once a day. It is a great round up of everything sports and sports related in a well produced, entertaining broadcast.

Should we abandon sports entirely because some athletes are *******s?
I agree. I know a lot of people who watch this obsessively for sports news. I think they may now switch over to other options which would not be good for ESPN. JMHO, Jay

Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Not sure what the point is here, without taking into account the geography of income. Nep was "poor" in FFC with $ 90k salary (and with chef cafeteria to boot), while he is the richest man in OH with $ 60k, although now he dines in Fast-Food row.
The point is to compare how the different states' income tax structure affects your paycheck (not your QOL), if at all. For example, someone pointed out CA's 13% tax rate.... well, very, very few people are hitting that tax bracket so it's a little misleading. If you were a yougin' making $40k for example, your paycheck looks exactly the same between CA and CT even though CA overall is a more heavily taxed state. Obviously this is simple and doesn't consider the deductions or whatnot a person might take.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
The point is to compare how the different states' income tax structure affects your paycheck (not your QOL), if at all. For example, someone pointed out CA's 13% tax rate.... well, very, very few people are hitting that tax bracket so it's a little misleading. If you were a yougin' making $40k for example, your paycheck looks exactly the same between CA and CT even though CA overall is a more heavily taxed state. Obviously this is simple and doesn't consider the deductions or whatnot a person might take.
The other thing people don't think about is that the high salary/higher tax environment is more suitable for building personal wealth. With a mostly tax-deductable investment structure, and enough to invest you can do pretty well up here and bring a boatload of cash with you if you sell your CT home and retire to Florida in a home 1/3rd the price...

Of course if you did that you would have to live in Florida....

Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, nep321 thought he was poor with a $90k salary in Fairfield County. According to his posts however he was able to save $65,000 in just 2 years. You can't do that if you are poor. He could have bought a modest home or condo here in Connecticut but he put ridiculous limits on what the home could be (newer, no-work needed, nicer town, near his office, etc.) and where it could be located. Note that he has been complaining already over on the Columbus forum that he can't afford as nice of a home as he thought he could out there. That is all mute now anyway since he has lost his new job already. Seems his performance was not what was expected (taking time off without notice to supervisor, adjusting work hours, coming in late, etc.). You can find out more if interested over on the Work and Employment forum. He is fine but now re-evaluating what he is going to do. He may go back to school to change majors since he now hates accounting. Jay
and some on here now are probably grinning ear to ear

Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
and some on here now are probably grinning ear to ear
I doubt it. I feel bad for him but over the years many tried to warn him that he needed to change his attitude. Some people though must learn things the hard way and nep321 is one of them. I hope he figures out what he is going to do and finds some happiness. Jay

Old 09-23-2015, 01:27 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Wow, terrible about nep321. To have made such a move and then lose it. But..... if he's truly saved up 65k then he should be OK for the time being in Columbus with that low COL. The savings he was able to put away in his job in Norwalk may just be his salvation!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:39 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
No, nep321 thought he was poor with a $90k salary in Fairfield County. According to his posts however he was able to save $65,000 in just 2 years. You can't do that if you are poor. He could have bought a modest home or condo here in Connecticut but he put ridiculous limits on what the home could be (newer, no-work needed, nicer town, near his office, etc.) and where it could be located. Note that he has been complaining already over on the Columbus forum that he can't afford as nice of a home as he thought he could out there. That is all mute now anyway since he has lost his new job already. Seems his performance was not what was expected (taking time off without notice to supervisor, adjusting work hours, coming in late, etc.). You can find out more if interested over on the Work and Employment forum. He is fine but now re-evaluating what he is going to do. He may go back to school to change majors since he now hates accounting. Jay
Jay: my comment was sarcastic as many are. The point is that many can have a larger Net Pay in CT, which has a State Income Tax than in Florida for example that doesn't have State Income Tax. I don't feel bad for Nep. Having a "restless soul" carries a big sticker price.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:13 PM

I thought this was an interesting article on the possibility of Malloy asking the President to intercede in GE's decision on where to move its corporate headquarters. Not sure the President would do anything if asked but I do wonder if he would. We will see. Jay

Will Malloy turn to Obama to save GE? - Connecticut Post

Old 09-23-2015, 03:00 PM

684 posts, read 812,556 times
Quote:
I thought this was an interesting article on the possibility of Malloy asking the President to intercede in GE's decision on where to move its corporate headquarters. Not sure the President would do anything if asked but I do wonder if he would. We will see. Jay

Will Malloy turn to Obama to save GE? - Connecticut Post
You have to be a pretty sad individual to turn to a president to try and save a company from leaving your state. Just shows how our politicians have no understanding of business ethics and how to operate the state as a business.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:12 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post

There are awesome tools to see what equalized incomes are ..adjusted for COL differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut