Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure if this should go in the Rock Cats thread or here, but I figured it had to do more with development of a neighborhood which is economic.

Looks like the City of Hartford received 4 bids for the "stadium proposal". I quote the words "stadium proposal" because I'm not sure that it was JUST the stadium. From the news article it read as if they received 4 bids to build new facilities around that area i.e. Hooker's bid to build a brewery (which would be awesome).

Hartford Gets Four Proposals On Stadium Development Plan - Courant.com

Apparently the Rock Cats havent paid the tax bill yet so unless they pony up some dough, they (rock cats) will no longer have a place to play in 2015. This whole "deal" makes me really skeptical.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Wasn't sure if this should go in the Rock Cats thread or here, but I figured it had to do more with development of a neighborhood which is economic.

Looks like the City of Hartford received 4 bids for the "stadium proposal". I quote the words "stadium proposal" because I'm not sure that it was JUST the stadium. From the news article it read as if they received 4 bids to build new facilities around that area i.e. Hooker's bid to build a brewery (which would be awesome).

Hartford Gets Four Proposals On Stadium Development Plan - Courant.com

Apparently the Rock Cats havent paid the tax bill yet so unless they pony up some dough, they (rock cats) will no longer have a place to play in 2015. This whole "deal" makes me really skeptical.

don't forget 2,000 units is underway in Downtown Hartford plus a supermarket

Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Another survey to state the obvious. Connecticut businesses confidence has stalled. Couple key points:

-More expect economic conditions in CT to worse. A rise of 7 points in just 8 months!
-34% of businesses say their outlook has positive a drop of 4 points.
-24% see expanding workforce and 15% see decrease

So, overall is not good, but not bad either. I think a lot of people are in a holding pattern right now. November will be a possible game changer. If someone else gets elected..good (possible, who actually knows, but we are hopeful). If current administration stays...bad.

Survey: Connecticut Business Confidence Stalled

Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Say goodbye to 130 well paid positions AND a company headquarters. Smith Detections in Danbury will move all 130 jobs to new headquarters in Maryland. Reason you may ask?.. TO STAY COMPETITIVE!!

Defense Manufacturer To Move HQ Out Of Connecticut - Courant.com

This sounds like a growing company in an every changing field. This is the type of company jobs we want to keep in CT. Big loss for CT.

Connecticut needs to overall it's "business" climate i.e. taxes, fees and also try to reduce energy cost. With the new increase in electric costs CT manufacturers are going to see a big jump in costs.

Last edited by Mr_250; 08-16-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 12:18 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
Defense contracting was never a stable career path to begin with which is why I never pursued it after my military service.

Strategic moves by relocating closer to DC makes sense since this is a defense based company but even at that with budget cuts defense jobs have dwindled a bit. As a current resident of Virginia I read and hear about it all the time.

Still I have to agree that by reducing operating costs the northeast can change it's economic climate and attract better jobs for either the college educated or technically skilled. Engineers, mechanics, builders, fabricators, welders, designers, programmers, project managers, these are all skilled decent paying jobs that can be saved by a change in government and direction.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:40 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Say goodbye to 130 well paid positions AND a company headquarters. Smith Detections in Danbury will move all 130 jobs to new headquarters in Maryland. Reason you may ask?.. TO STAY COMPETITIVE!!

Defense Manufacturer To Move HQ Out Of Connecticut - Courant.com

This sounds like a growing company in an every changing field. This is the type of company jobs we want to keep in CT. Big loss for CT.

Connecticut needs to overall it's "business" climate i.e. taxes, fees and also try to reduce energy cost. With the new increase in electric costs CT manufacturers are going to see a big jump in costs.
Odd since MD is a high tax state that's not unlike CT. Have to imagine MD is subsidizing them with tax breaks.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Danbury doing good as Stamford

Belimo prepares to move into new facility - NewsTimes

Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
Well that article sounds encouraging.

As far as the defense company relocating that is very common place. Most of them are project contracts and relocating to Maryland to be closer to DC, DoD, and the Pentagon from a strategic stand point makes more sense. Of course one could argue that Connecticut has Naval bases so perhaps maybe the company should stay.

Being somewhat close to DC and a veteran myself the defense contractors aren't doing as good as they were with sequester and budget cuts.

I served overseas during a conflict, not bragging, I had a security clearance, but in the civilian sector pursuing defense contractor jobs is probably one of the most unstable things you could do.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
The relative weakness of the CT job market shows up in this analysis.

Report: The Geography of Jobs

Graphic: job growth/loss from 2007-2014, so it covers the big recession and slow recovery. AZ and NV clearly show the huge housing bubbles in Phoenix and Las Vegas. (These are percentages, so the figure for small population states like ND is not a huge absolute number of jobs.)

An interesting question: how did Massachusetts grow when most of the rest of New England (including CT) is clustered near the bottom?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM

I have been wondering about this for some time now. I drive I91 everyday and I see them working on the Marlin Firearms building (Marlin Firearms left CT in 2011 or so).

So I found two funny articles. The first describes that C.Cowles is leaving New Haven to "consolidate" operations. In May 2014 the President of the company states the following
Moon said. “We won’t be saving a lot of money with the move, but it will allow us to operate more efficiently and effectively.” C. Cowles & Co. leaving Elm City for North Haven

So, cool CT company is expanding. Plus Made in America I'm all for it.

Today is comes out that the State is giving them a loan of $1.7m ($880,000 forgivable) State Loans $1.8 Million For Business To Move To North Haven - Courant.com to make the move. Just more corporate welfare from Malloy. I do not blame Cowles at all. If you can find a way to take advantage of the system go for it, but don't stand there (as the CEO) and say we are doing this move to benefit our business, we'll loss money, but we are staying in CT.

I'm all for American Made Products and I'm happy they are staying in CT, but when we have to bribe a company with an 176 year old history to move down the street 5 miles, we have some screws loss at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut