Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 06:28 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
wealthy towns... because it would be offset by raising property taxes, affecting people who are financially secure enough to own a home.
Wouldn’t it even out since most homeowners own a car? It might even benefit those with more expensive cars?

I always thought the car tax was a way to get more out of cities with largely renters.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:45 AM

223 posts, read 172,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Bit of an oversimplified view don't you think?

Waterbury and Meriden are in NHC.

Some of the most affluent towns in CT are in Litchfield County.

Tolland really isn't a bad place to live at all.
I agree- there are exceptions and I am speaking in generalities. In general, I think there might be something to it, all the way down to looking at population growth trends. There really isn't one city in northern CT that matches Stamford, Norwalk, New Haven, or even Middletown in terms of cultural amenities and access to transportation. Tolland is certainly a nice place, just with a pop of 15,000 I wouldn't classify it as a major CT city.

Last edited by wetnewspaper; 10-20-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 07:17 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Yup. They'll just roll it into the property taxes.

Since they aren't willing to cut taxes, I don't understand why they don't raise the sales tax while lowering the income tax. Much easier to tax transactions in the state than people who can spend six months and a year in Florida. Plus the whole "tax friendly" tag is tied to income taxes.
CT is broke

Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Wouldn’t it even out since most homeowners own a car? It might even benefit those with more expensive cars?

I always thought the car tax was a way to get more out of cities with largely renters.
The car tax is a way to get users to pay for the roads they drive on. That would mean renters as well as homeowners. Jay

Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,325 times
I thought the auto tax is assessed by each town, meaning the state & governor doesn't decide the tax rate?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I thought the auto tax is assessed by each town, meaning the state & governor doesn't decide the tax rate?
Yes, but it is state law that established it. They plan to repeal or modify the law to eliminate or change it. Jay

Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The car tax is a way to get users to pay for the roads they drive on. That would mean renters as well as homeowners. Jay

The gas tax is also for the road we drive on. yet somehow we need new taxes for special bus lanes, and still need to consider tolls. amazing how politicians screw up the government, yet still get elected.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
The gas tax is also for the road we drive on. yet somehow we need new taxes for special bus lanes, and still need to consider tolls. amazing how politicians screw up the government, yet still get elected.
The car tax goes to municipalities for maintenance and improvement of local roads. The gas tax goes to the state for maintenance and improvements to state roads and highways.

What is happening with the gas tax is that between inflation and gas efficiency of modern automobiles, the amount of money being generated and what can be done with it has dropped significantly. That $0.25 per gallon that the state collects is less now and buys less than when it was implement more than a decade ago. This is a problem that just about every state is facing. Many have raised their gas tax to correct the problem. Like it or not, the state is going to need more money to maintain and improve its roads and bridges. How to do that is up for debate. Jay

Old 10-20-2017, 10:13 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The car tax goes to municipalities for maintenance and improvement of local roads. The gas tax goes to the state for maintenance and improvements to state roads and highways.

What is happening with the gas tax is that between inflation and gas efficiency of modern automobiles, the amount of money being generated and what can be done with it has dropped significantly. That $0.25 per gallon that the state collects is less now and buys less than when it was implement more than a decade ago. This is a problem that just about every state is facing. Many have raised their gas tax to correct the problem. Like it or not, the state is going to need more money to maintain and improve its roads and bridges. How to do that is up for debate. Jay
If CT place tolls state will collect 400-500 million yearly

Old 10-20-2017, 10:36 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
If CT place tolls state will collect 400-500 million yearly
Get rid of car taxes and add tolls... some people it will help out and others they will be paying more for tolls than they do in car taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut