Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2021, 09:40 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is where you’re going to see the success divide between business hotels and leisure hotels. Connecticut has a lot of the former since the latter is mostly bed and breakfast types (which should be fine because people are starting to vacation again). Too bad.

In some ways, the People's news is more alarming, as those in Bridgeport were well-paying jobs. The only way the affected maintain their income is search for employment at other bank hqs, and most likely that means relocating.

I am pleased at one bit of news. Someone I know who was not affected said all the laid off to come have been told already. That is better than making people guess. 79% of Bridgeport staff will keep their jobs.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:41 PM

On the bright side, Milford is not listed in towns with layoffs in the People's Bank WARN Act notice.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:51 PM

Can't post this People's Bank news link, as it is Insider Premium, but I did not realize pre covid, the hq had just 1,350 staff. 200 man it now due to covid wfh, but downtown restaurants were hoping to get back close to the 1,350 level before merger talk. The 661 cuts are all hq, so hq will be cut just about in half. I would bet many of the group left will be perm wfh.

I knew once they got bought, a big layoff would occur, but was hoping the hq kept more than half the staff.

If anyone has Premium, it is available via the Post.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
WFH is definitely impacting downtown Hartford. I am there nearly everyday. It is a shadow of what it was preCovid. The restaurants I frequent are definitely feeling it. I walked into a deli I go to often two weeks ago at lunch time and there was no one there. There used to be a line with as many as 10 people on any given day. I have talked to the owner a few times since May. He said there has been no substantial difference since CT reopened for business for him. There is also a shift in who is renting downtown with executives who formerly worked downtown moving out now that they can work from home and those who must work downtown moving in. Due to these factors downtown Hartford is not seeing the increases in rents for housing that the rest of the country is experiencing. With rising costs this makes it difficult for landlords who rent condominium units to cover their costs since many of those moving out typically had higher salaries than those moving in.

The effects of Covid, coupled with additional costs being added due to changes in policies at both the state and federal level, are hitting some areas, such as Hartford, harder than others. I've always had great hope for Hartford, but sadly it seems the current situation has likely set it back at least a decade. Cities like Hartford won't be able to climb out of this alone. Without a strong economic driver it will require external assistance since you can't squeeze any more from the residential property owner or those providing housing.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
WFH is definitely impacting downtown Hartford. I am there nearly everyday. It is a shadow of what it was preCovid. The restaurants I frequent are definitely feeling it. I walked into a deli I go to often two weeks ago at lunch time and there was no one there. There used to be a line with as many as 10 people on any given day. I have talked to the owner a few times since May. He said there has been no substantial difference since CT reopened for business for him. There is also a shift in who is renting downtown with executives who formerly worked downtown moving out now that they can work from home and those who must work downtown moving in.
Great summary. I have seen the same thing at my favorite Milford delis. I started wfh March 2020, and at the beginning of my period home, they were far busier Monday-Friday than today. I know of a few corp offices that one told me closed (perm wfh instead), which he had a ton of business with, so its a good chunk of his hit, but I am still seeing far fewer walk in individuals like yourself at lunch, also. It is NOT just Ct. Went to NYC one day last week, saw the same thing as did my boss going in one day this week.

I knew going into a lockdown economically some things would simply never bounce back. A healthy chunk of business lunchtime volume may simply be a permanent causality, without a solution.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:19 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
WFH is definitely impacting downtown Hartford. I am there nearly everyday. It is a shadow of what it was preCovid. The restaurants I frequent are definitely feeling it. I walked into a deli I go to often two weeks ago at lunch time and there was no one there. There used to be a line with as many as 10 people on any given day. I have talked to the owner a few times since May. He said there has been no substantial difference since CT reopened for business for him. There is also a shift in who is renting downtown with executives who formerly worked downtown moving out now that they can work from home and those who must work downtown moving in. Due to these factors downtown Hartford is not seeing the increases in rents for housing that the rest of the country is experiencing. With rising costs this makes it difficult for landlords who rent condominium units to cover their costs since many of those moving out typically had higher salaries than those moving in.

The effects of Covid, coupled with additional costs being added due to changes in policies at both the state and federal level, are hitting some areas, such as Hartford, harder than others. I've always had great hope for Hartford, but sadly it seems the current situation has likely set it back at least a decade. Cities like Hartford won't be able to climb out of this alone. Without a strong economic driver it will require external assistance since you can't squeeze any more from the residential property owner or those providing housing.
The polar opposite is in Stamford and area. It's brimming with activity. Streets are jammed. Lunch and dinner dining is crowded. Rush hour volumes on the freeway and Merritt are back with a vengeance. Maybe even worse since summers usually have lower volumes. Don't even think about getting on one of them Thursday-Sunday.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:54 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Of course on the inverse is that we'd also see more local restaurants get jammed. A decent suburban restaurant is probably sitting pretty right now. There's one near me where they actually had to hire someone to manage the parking. Pickup is still big, portions still big but wait times are up there and it's a main road. Hardware store has started to emphasize online ordering and pickup. Heck I got a joblot email now that they'll start shipping direct or to a local store. I drove though Hartford the other day. Plenty of car traffic, one guy on a motor scooter but hardly any pedestrians.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:56 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Sad news for CT's economic climate:

https://www.journalinquirer.com/conn...80928d681.html

The hotel/motel industry "is in serious trouble", & has lost 7,400 jobs.

Only Hawaii, New York, Massachusetts, & Illinois have fared worse than CT in lost hotel/motel jobs.

Business travel is down. Maybe Summer tourism will help. I opted for an airbnb instead when visiting CT next month...better value, & less exposure to others that might carry a Covid variant.

CT's population is the slowest growing in the NE, & the 4th slowing nationally, & that's bad for the economic climate, & hotels. Less people = less commerce:

https://ctmirror.org/2021/04/27/ct-s...census-report/

Fairfield County is the only county of 8 in CT, that has had any population growth since 2010, & the rest are losing population:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/states/ct

Fairfield County benefits from its proximity to NYC, but NYC isn't faring well either.

CT's spending more on advertising aimed at tourism, so perhaps that will help.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:06 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Sad news for CT's economic climate:

https://www.journalinquirer.com/conn...80928d681.html

The hotel/motel industry "is in serious trouble", & has lost 7,400 jobs.

Only Hawaii, New York, Massachusetts, & Illinois have fared worse than CT in lost hotel/motel jobs.

Business travel is down. Maybe Summer tourism will help. I opted for an airbnb instead when visiting CT next month...better value, & less exposure to others that might carry a Covid variant.

CT's population is the slowest growing in the NE, & the 4th slowing nationally, & that's bad for the economic climate, & hotels. Less people = less commerce:

https://ctmirror.org/2021/04/27/ct-s...census-report/

Fairfield County is the only county of 8 in CT, that has had any population growth since 2010, & the rest are losing population:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/states/ct

Fairfield County benefits from its proximity to NYC, but NYC isn't faring well either.

CT's spending more on advertising aimed at tourism, so perhaps that will help.
CT is already overcrowded it not much land for growth especially coastline.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
This article is dated July 27, 2021.

States Whose Economies Are Failing vs. States Whose Economies Are Thriving
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...120027082.html

CT IS IN THE TOP 15 THAT HAS A THRIVING ECONOMY!

Well, well well.......hmmmm, where's Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, TEXAS etc.?

15 Kansas
14 Connecticut
13 Delaware
12 Virginia
11 Iowa
10 Maryland
9 Minnesota
8 District of Columbia
7 Idaho
6 Massachusetts Always good to have your neighbor doing well too.
5 Washington
4 Nebraska
3 New Hampshire
2 South Dakota
1 Utah

I bet the people who did this list understand what PER CAPITA means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut