Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I am sorry but these people do not know what they are talking about, and it's just hearsay that you feel comfortable believing. This was the reaction of towns in northern Fairfield County until kids started dropping like flies. People need to wake up.
And what facts do you or laulob base your claims on? I do not think that it could be characterized as "dropping like flies". And again I am not saying it is not a problem but I just am not hearing that it is to the extent that is claimed. Drinking and pot use is different. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
I am not as far removed from the high school years as some of the other posters here and can say with certainty that prescription pills are a HUGE problem. Whether it is using Adderall to help the overachieving student's academic performance or it is stealing mommy's Xanax out of the medicine cabinet. The prescription drug abuse is rampant all over the country in high school and continues into college and most parents are completely out of the loop. Many don't even realize they are some of the suppliers.

The prescription drug problem is way bigger than heroin or any other illegal drug at most schools, especially because "good kids" don't see them as dangerous as heroin, cocaine, etc. Parents would be surprised by which kids abuse prescriptions...and it isn't just the ones you've likely pegged as the bad seeds.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 AM

137 posts, read 177,240 times
Time for me to add my two cents re: Glastonbury High. I agree with Mels prescription pills is HUGE. The way my ex police officer explained it to me was that there are parties where all the kids bring pills from home, put them in a hat, shake them up and everyone takes a handful. These are the "popular" kids. This summer a very popular student died in a car accident and it was alcohol related....someone was arrested for having an underage party with drinking that contributed to her death. Honestly the school and community should have risen to the occasion and started a massive campaign against drinking/drugs/heroin. Her death was mourned as it should have been but nothing else. I don't get it.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 AM

137 posts, read 177,240 times
Police: More Than 100 Teens At Glastonbury House Party With Alcohol « CBS Connecticut

Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmom2011 View Post
Time for me to add my two cents re: Glastonbury High. I agree with Mels prescription pills is HUGE. The way my ex police officer explained it to me was that there are parties where all the kids bring pills from home, put them in a hat, shake them up and everyone takes a handful. These are the "popular" kids. This summer a very popular student died in a car accident and it was alcohol related....someone was arrested for having an underage party with drinking that contributed to her death. Honestly the school and community should have risen to the occasion and started a massive campaign against drinking/drugs/heroin. Her death was mourned as it should have been but nothing else. I don't get it.
They have. The town has a very extensive program at the high and middle schools on the dangers of drinking and drugs. Short of locking the kids in their rooms everynight, what more is the town and school going to do. This has been going on ALL OVER THE COUNTRY for longer than I have been alive and it is impossible to stop completely. The media just likes to tout it when it happens in Glastonbury. Jay

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
A. Drugs and alcohol have always been many a teens' escape. Always and period

B. Drug use is newsworthy when I happens someplace where you least expect. Always and period.

I'm sure Glastonbury's drug problem is no bigger than any run of the mill upper middle class town's is. And I don't think it's fair to single out this one particular town. Northern fairfield county certainly has loads of its towns affected also. Many lower ffld county towns deal with it too. It's a problem I I think we should all deal with collectively instead of trying to isolate it to particular geographical area and deny its in our backyard too. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut