Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 05:17 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
It's all good news to me!

I for one look forward to the colder temps as well as smelling the fireplaces.

Less bugs, "cleaner air" and lesser dew points.

I wonder with this pattern would mean a Thanksgiving snow?
From my experience when the Polar Vortex splits off from the North Pole, where ever it goes is where the brutal cold temps go for the next 1-2 months at least. It sets the overall pattern in place.

We saw this last year when it happened mid December and U.S saw some crazy departures in January. Not to get too technical but the Vortex does not move fast so in this case next week its dropping down into Southern Canada. This will send very cold air into the Eastern half of U.S.

Add moisture or an active Sun Tropical jet and chances increases for storms and snows north of the Polar Jet Stream.

I think we'll see many complaints coming up after next week.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 AM

FYI... It might not be an in and out thing next week. We might get a day or 2 to be warm but the below normal temps may last 2 week. Looking like a below normal November.

And some days within these next 2 weeks will feel like mid Winter.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
FYI... It might not be an in and out thing next week. We might get a day or 2 to be warm but the below normal temps may last 2 week. Looking like a below normal November.

I'm in the Twin Cities on business this week, and they're talking 20s for highs, teens for lows next week (about 15 degrees below normal)

Old 11-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm in the Twin Cities on business this week, and they're talking 20s for highs, teens for lows next week (about 15 degrees below normal)
Yeah, you're in a good spot to see some impressive departures. Maybe single digits not far from there.

Radar and Temps.

Nice Lake streamers going on.

Last year November 23rd we had Lake effect squalls in CT and to the coast, even NYC.

My sister getting snow today right where it says 32 near Olean top of first white arrow.. (2nd time this year!)

Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Nothing unusual but the first snowflakes are on the forecasts. Shoreline as well. Yes, that says max temps in the 30s.

Remember our NorEaster Snowstorm 2 yrs ago today a week after Sandy.

Final Snowfall Summary: Nov. 7-8 | Connecticut's Extreme Weather News | WXedge.com

New Connecticut Weather Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:56 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Quote:
Nothing unusual but the first snowflakes are on the forecasts. Shoreline as well. Yes, that says max temps in the 30s.

Remember our NorEaster Snowstorm 2 yrs ago today a week after Sandy.

Final Snowfall Summary: Nov. 7-8 | Connecticut's Extreme Weather News | WXedge.com

New Connecticut Weather Thread

I will never forget that snowstorm......... Left work at 5:00 pm , hit the Merritt NB and was a dead stop from Exit 28. I remember it took 1 full hour to go from Exit 28 to Exit 29. Parkway was covered, no plows in sight, cars barely able to move, trees falling onto the parkway, branches hanging very low. Was awful. We finally made it home.......at.....ready?.........10:30 pm. WORST snow ride in 30 years of driving for me. 5 1/2 hours to go 56 miles. No lie, but that commute actually scarred me for driving in big snowstorms. So when you read my snow hate posts from last winter , this is where it all stemmed from. This is why I hate driving in snow so much.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:14 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
From my experience when the Polar Vortex splits off from the North Pole, where ever it goes is where the brutal cold temps go for the next 1-2 months at least. It sets the overall pattern in place.

We saw this last year when it happened mid December and U.S saw some crazy departures in January. Not to get too technical but the Vortex does not move fast so in this case next week its dropping down into Southern Canada. This will send very cold air into the Eastern half of U.S.

Add moisture or an active Sun Tropical jet and chances increases for storms and snows north of the Polar Jet Stream.

I think we'll see many complaints coming up after next week.
Quote:

Well it looks like I might very soon get to break in my purchased in Sept. 2014 new LL Bean Baxter coat.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:57 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,511,491 times
Wonder if the Litchfield Hills see some flakes this evening. Lake effect streamers making it all the way to CT. I got caught under one once and it dropped a good half inch real fast. Was interesting to think how it was moisture all the way from the great lakes.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Wonder if the Litchfield Hills see some flakes this evening. Lake effect streamers making it all the way to CT. I got caught under one once and it dropped a good half inch real fast. Was interesting to think how it was moisture all the way from the great lakes.
Ha, just posted the same radar here. Someone on Long Island was about to get the rain. Impressive indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I will never forget that snowstorm......... Left work at 5:00 pm , hit the Merritt NB and was a dead stop from Exit 28. I remember it took 1 full hour to go from Exit 28 to Exit 29. Parkway was covered, no plows in sight, cars barely able to move, trees falling onto the parkway, branches hanging very low. Was awful. We finally made it home.......at.....ready?.........10:30 pm. WORST snow ride in 30 years of driving for me. 5 1/2 hours to go 56 miles. No lie, but that commute actually scarred me for driving in big snowstorms. So when you read my snow hate posts from last winter , this is where it all stemmed from. This is why I hate driving in snow so much.
Ouch.. yeah everyone was kinda caught off guard with that one thinking "its just November" and ignored it OR the hype wasn't spread enough. I bet you if it was December more would of stayed home or worked from home or left at various hours and it wouldn't of been "as" bad. But because it was still November and "tropical" hurricane was still fresh nobody thought twice about it so volume on the road was normal which got enhanced from the snows. I wonder how 684 looked at that point.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Quote:
Ha, just posted the same radar here. I wonder how 684 looked at that point.

My boss lives in Poughkeepsie and he went 684.......left at same time as me......and got home at 10:00 pm. He said it was horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut