Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
That is nothing like and has nothing to do with section 8. You're "sounds like" is also 100% wrong. You're great at mocking the poor it seems. Not so good at reading the law though.
I am admittedly a very cynical person, but mocking the poor? No. Mocking a hypothetical system that allows business owners/landlords to be forced to accept tenants against their will for very valid reasons. Yes.

Anyway, already said I'm not the expert here and posted the link for those who are. Although I don't see what your saying in the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 AM

720 posts, read 919,936 times
Connecticut Real Estate Law: Updated and Revisited
Discrimination based on source of income is forbidden.
Generally, no, a landlord is not allowed to refuse to rent to a Section 8 tenant. Section 8 is a legal source of income, and landlords cannot discriminate against tenants based on their legal source of income.
The law's prohibitions on housing discrimination based on a protected class do not apply if the owner maintains a residence in the building and is renting either:

A room or rooms in a single-family home or

A unit in a two-family home.

NOTE: This exception also applies to other protected classes, but it does not apply to racial discrimination, because racial discrimination has no exceptions under the federal Civil Rights Act of 1866.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
http:/http://www.clrp.org/legal-issues-we-handle/housing/what-you-should-know-about-housing-discrimination/www.clrp.org/legal-issues-we-handle/housing/what-you-should-know-about-housing-discrimination/QUOTE=mlassoff;33202885]Good grief.

LANDLORD PARTICIPATION IN THE SECTION 8 RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

We never had a qualified section 8 tenant apply, so, it hasn't been an issue.[/quote]

Umm yeah. Again, if youre gonna be a LL you prob want to know the CURRENT laws and not the 12 year old ones as to how they apply to your business. Ever since the Bridgeport LL lost the lawsuit in 2008 Ct has been one of the 4 states you dont want to mess with in regards to rejecting tenants on basis of lawful income.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM

468 posts, read 708,829 times
Unfortunately, in CT you can't discriminate against Section 8 tenants. CT has added discrimination based on the source of income, which includes Section 8, to its fair housing laws. That means you can't not rent to someone because they get Section 8. There's an exemption in CT for 2-unit owner-occupied buildings, but that's it.

Some people find that they actually prefer renting to Section 8 people, because they can generally charge much more than market rent since it's the government that's paying it. I did some work with Section 8 tenants in New Haven, and was shocked that their "rent" was $1,000 or more to live in some of the worst parts of the city in pretty shabby apartments--a price they'd never get on the open market. Moreover, there's pretty strict rules regarding criminal activity, having additional parties living at the residence, etc.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Most often section 8 tenants are single parents with children. Most are working but can't afford market rents.

I never see people demanding to live in $20 million dollar mansions with Section 8 assistance. You only demean yourself with this type of post.
Your absolutely right. But many lose my sympathy after the 4th kid while they're using EBT cards to buy booze and lobster tail. Sorry, but I think your view of it might be somewhat... Utopian. When you drive through New Haven and see every beer distributing, cigarette selling convenience store with "accepts EBT" i become wary.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Fiddy cnetz? At least Tree fiddy.
damn Lock ness monster....

Good reference. Off topic warning point in 3...2...1...

Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
Unfortunately, in CT you can't discriminate against Section 8 tenants. CT has added discrimination based on the source of income, which includes Section 8, to its fair housing laws. That means you can't not rent to someone because they get Section 8. There's an exemption in CT for 2-unit owner-occupied buildings, but that's it.

Some people find that they actually prefer renting to Section 8 people, because they can generally charge much more than market rent since it's the government that's paying it. I did some work with Section 8 tenants in New Haven, and was shocked that their "rent" was $1,000 or more to live in some of the worst parts of the city in pretty shabby apartments--a price they'd never get on the open market. Moreover, there's pretty strict rules regarding criminal activity, having additional parties living at the residence, etc.

Back on topic. This ^^^^ as I stated earlier, if youre gonna be in the LL business, esp in Ct you better be up on the CURRENT laws. They are easily found in the first page of a google search. Be careful admiting breaking the law as a LL before KNOWING the law. I hope other practicing real estate people speak up. Just for disclosure I carry a CT RE salesperson license, but rarely practice.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Connecticut Real Estate Law: Updated and Revisited
Discrimination based on source of income is forbidden.
Generally, no, a landlord is not allowed to refuse to rent to a Section 8 tenant. Section 8 is a legal source of income, and landlords cannot discriminate against tenants based on their legal source of income.
The law's prohibitions on housing discrimination based on a protected class do not apply if the owner maintains a residence in the building and is renting either:

A room or rooms in a single-family home or

A unit in a two-family home.

NOTE: This exception also applies to other protected classes, but it does not apply to racial discrimination, because racial discrimination has no exceptions under the federal Civil Rights Act of 1866.

DISCLAIMER - I am not a landlord, renter or lawyer. I'm just curious

Is the above text the current law in CT?

Can you refuse to rent to someone with kids? Pets? I don't think you can refuse someone with a service animal.

What if the house has not been inspected for Section 8? Can the propective tenant report you to <whoever the entity is> and force an inspection? Or can you simply say that your rental has not been approved for Section 8? I'm guessing you can't put in your ad "No Section 8".

I was a renter in the 1980s and these were very common themes in rental ads back then (I was always looking in 2-3 family houses rather than an apartment building). I had landlords at the time actually ask if I had a steady boyfriend, and lost out on an adorable 4 room house in Manchester due to the answer I gave her.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Your absolutely right. But many lose my sympathy after the 4th kid while they're using EBT cards to buy booze and lobster tail. Sorry, but I think your view of it might be somewhat... Utopian. When you drive through New Haven and see every beer distributing, cigarette selling convenience store with "accepts EBT" i become wary.
Yes, many people are irresponsible.

However, I have trouble not putting roofs over the heads of children no matter the stupidity of their parents.

They also sell cigarettes and beer at Stop and Shop. Should they not accept EBT?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM

What You Should Know About Housing Discrimination | Connecticut (CT) Legal Rights Project

That should help. Short answer, cannot discriminate against service animals, or kids. Number of occupants, yes, because of obvious overcrowding concerns, but not by age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut