Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM

137 posts, read 177,178 times

Advertisements

original Poster,

We moved to CT about a year and half ago and I agree with all the posters. No one cares or talks about social/religious views here. The only time I have had a conversation that even remotely revolved around religion was where to buy a Christmas tree...

A different way to look would be to find an ultra conservative church first that you could join and then find a place near it to live. I think this will be the only way you will find people with your same beliefs.

conservative politics DO NOT equal conservative social beliefs in CT.

Let us know what you find!

Last edited by marylandmom2011; 02-11-2014 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM

468 posts, read 708,829 times
OP might even be confused by CT churches. For example, Baptist churches in the South are typically very conservative, but New England/Connecticut Baptist churches are closer to other somewhat liberal mainline Protestant churches.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
OP might even be confused by CT churches. For example, Baptist churches in the South are typically very conservative, but New England/Connecticut Baptist churches are closer to other somewhat liberal mainline Protestant churches.
I'm not sure OP would find a town that conforms to such a way of life in any major job/city area. Even in the South. All the places with high paying jobs are not like this--Atlanta,Nashville,Austin, Dallas etc. OP is going to have a lot of trouble trying to find a nice place to live that has such an old school way of life.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The topic of this thread is Socially Conservative Towns within Commuting Distance of New York. No one should be questioning the OP's beliefs or criticizing them. There are other forums where this can be argued. All posts must be respectful. Infractions will be issued if this is not followed. Jay CT, Moderator

Old 02-11-2014, 02:31 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The topic of this thread is Socially Conservative Towns within Commuting Distance of New York.
By the OP's definition of social conservatism there aren't any.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfamilyman View Post
but I don't feel like being surrounded by a bunch of RINOs, who call themselves conservatives and then support homosexual marriage and abortion...
Welcome to the Northeast. You will be very unhappy here.

I can't think of any towns that fit your criteria. Most republicans here are what you describe as RINO. And most people, conservative or liberal, really don't talk about their personal politics outside of the internet. Good luck though.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM

74 posts, read 735,701 times
I agree, OP won't fit in here. The most you can find is fiscally conservative town with other criteria you are looking for just not socially conservative.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfamilyman View Post
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my post, as that is not my intention. I have my beliefs and feelings and only wished to find a place where I'm most likely to find others who share such beliefs and feelings. As you can see by many of the responses here, such views tend to make you the enemy, so I think it's quite clear why I'd want to be around like-minded people.
It isn't about making "enemies". We're just being as candid as you are, regarding the viewpoint of the people that you would be living amongst. Perhaps, *perhaps* there may be one or two small towns on the other side of the state where you would find like-minded people. However, it wouldn't be a practical commute, and the socio-economics would be quite different from the areas that you're currently considering.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
I agree with the suggestion on finding a conservative church. I used to work for a guy that was very conservative politically and he would occasionally mention how well attended his church was.

I think the OP could find a place where he & his family are happy, but it would take some work. I had another co-worker at another job that loved CT, but was also very conservative. Anything that Rush Limbaugh said, he'd repeat as gospel to his co-workers, and any rumor about Obama was taken as fact. Most people kind of nodded their heads & went back to their work.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I agree with the suggestion on finding a conservative church.
St. A's in NC isn't regarded as being ultra conservative. St. John's in Darien has had plenty of scandals over the years, so that's out too. Slim pickings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut