Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hartford's Aetna Viaduct is among the top ten urban highways that deserve to be torn down, according to a new study by Congress for the New Urbanism. The yearly report, "Freeways without Futures" lists the elevated stretch of I-84 (in no particular order of futureless-ness) with such highways as I-10 in New Orleans, I-81 in Syracuse, and I-70 in St. Louis.
Quote:
The highway, which reached the end of its projected 40-year life span in 2005, is the most heavily trafficked in the state at 175,000 vehicles a day. The DOT says that's more than three times its originally intended capacity. (Ack!)
Quote:
Some possibilities include lowering the highway, rebuilding city structures, and re-aligning the railroad. Changes could cost "maybe $3 billion," Redeker said, but could also save up to $1 billion.
Source of image and cited text: Why Hartford's I-84 Viaduct Is a Futureless Freeway | WNPR News

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:53 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
84 through downtown harford out to exit 41 is a complete mess and as cited completely overcapacity.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,679 times
I think its time for the state to revisit the I-291/rt-9 beltway around the city. They started it with the rt-9 stack in Farmington but it got blocked.

Getting traffic around the city would to wonders for traffic.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
I think its time for the state to revisit the I-291/rt-9 beltway around the city. They started it with the rt-9 stack in Farmington but it got blocked.

Yes especially with the boom in population in avon/farmington area over the past 30 years.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:39 AM

468 posts, read 708,829 times
My ideal solution for Hartford would be: blow it up and start again.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post

It will never happen. When Ella Grasso gave into the special interests back in the 70's, it almost permanently set the future for traffic in the Hartford area forever. To complete the circle the state would have to fight towns like Farmington, West Hartford, Bloomfield and Windsor, none of whom would want a highway going through their nice quiet town. Jay

Old 02-21-2014, 02:05 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I do not know why they are calling I-84 a highway without a future. It has a future and that is to continue to be the busiest highway in the state. The section of I-84 by the Aetna is has the highest daily volume of traffic of any highway in Connecticut. That will not change. It is way too important to say it has no future. What it should say is what that future would be. It is clear that something has to be done and it will take years to determine what that is and how we are going to pay for it. The Capitol Region Council of Goverments and CTDOT have a plan to change the highway to eliminate the viaduct and make it fit better into the area but it will likely cost billions. We will see if we can figure it out how to pay for it. Jay

Old 02-21-2014, 02:31 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
Uhhh....perhaps I'm missing something, Jay...but all of these towns have highways running through them (WH and Windsor both have more than one). Moreover, Windsor and Bloomfield hardly constitute a 'nice quiet town'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It will never happen. When Ella Grasso gave into the special interests back in the 70's, it almost permanently set the future for traffic in the Hartford area forever. To complete the circle the state would have to fight towns like Farmington, West Hartford, Bloomfield and Windsor, none of whom would want a highway going through their nice quiet town. Jay

Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
The I-84/I-91 tunnel is really an awesome construction. I love this design as it is a work of modern art.

You then get off Exit 48 for a non-congested route into downtown Hartford. The way the highway exit runs straight into park space and neighborhood sidewalks is symbolic of how Connecticut has contrast of rural and urban and it's all oneness of a people of a state.

My favorite is how you have magical layers

Union station rail overpassing Asylum street (tunnel walkway)

I84 ducking under Asylum. Replaced by a park with housing surrounding IT

And then Ford street has this magical 5th street option that goes under an Arch like something out of a royal 16th century English castle.

And to the west, the union of Farmington and Asylum...with the beautiful Mark Twain House

Here's the best part. You can just walk under this gorgeous tunnel and catch a Greyhound Bus to wherever you want to go to get out if you had enough Connecticut, but you will miss it quickly.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
Now....if downtown Hartford were the only thing there was and the next place of civilization were 600 miles away? Ickkkkk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut