Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 02:05 PM

730 posts, read 1,303,537 times

Advertisements

I'm in the midst of a 'discussion' ;-) with someone re: weather in parts of CT, specifically summer heat/humidity and winter snowfall levels.

We've been talking about which parts of CT are likely to have cooler temps and lower humidity in summer, and also which parts tend to have the lowest snowfall totals in winter.

We both agree that the lowest snowfall levels are in the coastal CT towns. The difference of opinion is occurring about the summer weather.

He claims that the coastal areas should also be cooler in summer, because of the wind coming off the Sound. My logic says that the higher elevations (north and northwest?) in CT are probably LESS humid than the low-lying coastal areas and/or the areas along the rivers, simply because of lack of proximity to a lot of water.

So... any facts and/or opinions from CT residents on the optimal area(s) for (a) the least amt of winter snow, and (b) lower levels of summer humidity/heat? And are those two weather scenarios essentially impossible to find in the same part(s) of CT? (I say not possible, he says yes possible along coast)

Thanks in advance! :-)

(p.s. The subject of power outage likelihood came up too, but we are assuming - perhaps wrongly? - that the more snow = more snowstorms = more power outages, and thus the coastal areas probably don't have a major issue with that. We currently live on LI and other than the occasional rare bad storm or nor'easter, outages aren't a problem.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,422 times
I'm not in agreeement about the snowfall...when Nemo hit last year, the shoreline had the MOST snowfall in the state. Shoreline has been getting hit, the last few years. Perhaps, historically, your argument was true...but not sure about going forward.

I live on the coast, my boyfriend lives up in Middlebury. I get more breezes in the summer, but I've found the humidity, heat, sucks all around.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,905 times
The eastern half of the state coastal areas are cooler in the summer than the inland areas.

The coastal parts closest to NY (western) are about the same as average low-lying inland temps.

Northwest CT (higher elevations) has colder winters and cooler summers than either of the above.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,571 times
This is empirically verifiable. It's not a matter of opinion.

Consult the Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut