Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay well either way, it's about time I get in on a nice place to live. I mean, other people (like that Stephny girl on here or whatever her name is) are about my age and enjoying a higher standard of living. This chick is living just 2,000 feet away from me, but the income inequality is stark. I just don't get it, in this country. Sheesh.

Also, my manager earns more money than me, too.

Anyway, for the next two days, I am visiting Richmond, VA to check it out and see if I like it better than FFC.
That "Stephny girl" lives in a more affordable area and is willing to commute a distance to live there. You are not. As has been recommended to you MANY times on this forum, move further away from your job so you can afford a better home. Not hard to understand. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I think reading comprehension may be an issue here. No property value cram downs or caps to speak of with this plan. More requirements around having affordable units in new construction. Which stamford and norwalk (and all of CT) already incorporate for multifamily units. You outearn the qualification limit in nyc as well as CT. SOL once again. You would also describe (and have) the inhabitants as "third world". Despite this collosial injustice of FFC housing affordability, this county is seeing the largest growth in population while hartford bleeds.
You are right. He obviously does not understand what is being done in New York. It has LONG been a policy there to provide a certain number of affordable housing units in any large scale housing project. The same thing is required or encouraged here in Connecticut. As you noted though nep123 does not qualify for these type of units. I am not sure he would even want them since they are usually the more striped down units in a less desirable location in the complex (i.e. overlooking the garbage dumpsters or a busy noisy road). Nep is not the most tolerant of individuals so I can't imagine him even considering one of them. Jay

Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That "Stephny girl" lives in a more affordable area and is willing to commute a distance to live there. You are not. As has been recommended to you MANY times on this forum, move further away from your job so you can afford a better home. Not hard to understand. Jay
It already takes 40 minutes to drive home from Stamford to Norwalk. Why would any sane person commute from say, Stratford or Danbury? Not me, sorry. Personal choice. I don't care what has been recommended to me. Besides, I can't even afford Stratford even.

People in this forum are encouraging me to have a 1-hour commute each way and encouraging me to work at least 50 hours a week. That leaves 14 hours per day will be spent commuting, working or doing activities such as getting ready for work, cooking/eating, showering, etc. That least no more than 2 hours per day of personal time (aka not having a life), if I am to get 8 hours of sleep. Sorry, but I need at least 7 hrs of sleep each night. Anything less is consequential for me. And encouraging me to study for the CPA exam on top of that, and go to the gym. There simply aren't enough hours in the day to do this. Sorry.

I don't expect anyone to belabor this point or respond. I just wanted to provide a rebuttal to Jay's comment.

Last edited by nep321; 12-30-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
You are right. He obviously does not understand what is being done in New York. It has LONG been a policy there to provide a certain number of affordable housing units in any large scale housing project. The same thing is required or encouraged here in Connecticut. As you noted though nep123 does not qualify for these type of units. I am not sure he would even want them since they are usually the more striped down units in a less desirable location in the complex (i.e. overlooking the garbage dumpsters or a busy noisy road). Nep is not the most tolerant of individuals so I can't imagine him even considering one of them. Jay
Living on a very busy road (like I do now) is NOT a pleasant living experience. Why don't you try it and then get back to me.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It already takes 40 minutes to drive home from Stamford to Norwalk. Why would any sane person commute from say, Stratford or Danbury? Not me, sorry. Personal choice. I don't care what has been recommended to me. Besides, I can't even afford Stratford even.

People in this forum are encouraging me to have a 1-hour commute each way and encouraging me to work at least 50 hours a week. That leaves 14 hours per day will be spent commuting, working or doing activities such as getting ready for work, cooking/eating, showering, etc. That least no more than 2 hours per day of personal time (aka not having a life), if I am to get 8 hours of sleep. Sorry, but I need at least 7 hrs of sleep each night. Anything less is consequential for me. And encouraging me to study for the CPA exam on top of that, and go to the gym. There simply aren't enough hours in the day to do this. Sorry.

I don't expect anyone to belabor this point or respond. I just wanted to provide a rebuttal to Jay's comment.
Welcome to the real world. I am not sure what you do that is so important that you need so much personal time but again that is your choice. A lot of people commute over an hour or just accept that they have to live in more modest surroundings. That is life. As the saying goes "You reap what you sow". Jay

Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Living on a very busy road (like I do now) is NOT a pleasant living experience. Why don't you try it and then get back to me.
How do you know I don't live on a busy road? So you know I have (several places) and I survived. I worked my butt off to be able to live in a home I like. No one gave it to me or "reduced or capped" the price. I worked for it and worked hard. That meant sacrificing things like personal time to earn more and move up in my job. Was it fun? No, but it was satisfying and I can now sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor. You are at the beginning of your career which is when you should be doing this. If you don't you are going to be stuck in the same place for the rest of your life and that is ONLY if you are lucky. Jay

Old 12-30-2014, 03:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayct View Post
how do you know i don't live on a busy road? So you know i have (several places) and i survived. I worked my butt off to be able to live in a home i like. No one gave it to me or "reduced or capped" the price. I worked for it and worked hard. That meant sacrificing things like personal time to earn more and move up in my job. Was it fun? No, but it was satisfying and i can now sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor. You are at the beginning of your career which is when you should be doing this. If you don't you are going to be stuck in the same place for the rest of your life and that is only if you are lucky. Jay

x 1000.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the real world. I am not sure what you do that is so important that you need so much personal time but again that is your choice. A lot of people commute over an hour or just accept that they have to live in more modest surroundings. That is life. As the saying goes "You reap what you sow". Jay
I have personal interests and sometimes just want to relax at home, like any normal person would want. I don't understand why that's such an arcane concept on here. My first job was anything from 40 to 70 hour weeks. It was horrific and made me depressed, burnt out and stressed. I vowed to never subject myself to that again. I'm okay with 40 to 45 hrs though. I had a really bad experience and hope it never happens again.

Last edited by nep321; 12-30-2014 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 04:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Besides, I can't even afford Stratford even.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 PM

^^^ Your image doesn't show up. It's just a small X....but I wanna see what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut