Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 AM

18 posts, read 24,978 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for any and all information you're willing to provide.

Here's the scenario...

Husband might be taking a job at UCONN (virtual office - wherever the students are).
We would be moving up mid-summer.
We are a large young family (more than 3 children) and they're all elementary aged or younger. Also have a very large dog.
We need a 4b/2+ home, preferably with and acre of land. We're finding lots of homes on Zillow that fit the criteria but are LOST when it comes to the towns ($200-350K)....(omgosh the taxes are unreal up there!)

My husband is from CT originally (Fairfield County).

We've been told by a friend (from Colchester) to stay away from Hartford and Willimantic due to crime.

We will be heavily involved in church (non Catholic) and community, so it's important to us to have COMMUNITY!

Hubby would prefer 20 miles or less from UCONN.

Schools are #1. Currently our children are in a public Montessori school and it's absolutely fantastic, but the public system in Florida could never compare to up north. I'm not interested in test scores. I'm interested in quality teachers and not a one size fits all mentality.

Community is #2. We like the quintessential new England town. We lived in Ridgefield for a while (hubby raised there) and although we know this is nothing like that side of town, we'd love a "small town" feel but with lots of community events that we will need to be involved in (especially because of hubby's possible position).

Obviously low crime is a must & I'd like to be near a great hospital with great options for birth (I'm a natural birth advocate) and great choices for pediatricians that don't just push meds but are interested in a holistic approach. (I understand that's hard to find... but hey, it can't hurt to ask!)

Nearby: Young families around! Moms' groups. Farmer's Market. A drug store and Target no more than 20 minutes away!

Goodness that's long. Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
You've been advised correctly to avoid Hartford and Willimantic.

I don't really know the towns up there very well, but I know that Coventry, Marlborough, Hebron, Tolland and Columbia are all nice towns with good schools. I just don't know how much you will get for your budget. I'm sure other members here can help you better.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Welcome to CT and It usually the any way around I am from Ct moving to Florida etc

Last edited by BPt111; 02-23-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
This is a tough one as the area around UCONN tends to be sparse.

I have friends who live in Mansfield itself and enjoy it quite a bit. Tolland which is between Mansfield and Vernon might also fit the bill. I don't think they have any public Montessori's in the area, but the area around Mansfield feeds off of UCONN and the diversity that creates.

It's really going to be different then Ridgefield or anywhere any Fairfield county because the area is a great deal sparser and more detached from a major city. I might steer you away from Vernon-- schools aren't great. If you're willing to push the 20 minute limit you might also consider South Windsor and Glastonbury. Glastonbury is a GREAT town with lots of shopping, community / family activities and diversity of housing. The schools have a good reputation as well.

I think the advice to stay away from Willimantic is sound. I don't think surrounding areas like Windham are crime-ridden, but from what I understand the schools aren't as good as some others.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Welcome to CT and It usually any way other I am from Ct moving to Florida
What part?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
I recommed Greater Hartford suburbs they about 35 mins from the UConn area

Glastonbury, West Hartford, Berlin, Southingon, Marlbro, Burlington they have good schools and low crime etc

Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This is a tough one as the area around UCONN tends to be sparse.

I have friends who live in Mansfield itself and enjoy it quite a bit. Tolland which is between Mansfield and Vernon might also fit the bill. I don't think they have any public Montessori's in the area, but the area around Mansfield feeds off of UCONN and the diversity that creates.

It's really going to be different then Ridgefield or anywhere any Fairfield county because the area is a great deal sparser and more detached from a major city. I might steer you away from Vernon-- schools aren't great. If you're willing to push the 20 minute limit you might also consider South Windsor and Glastonbury. Glastonbury is a GREAT town with lots of shopping, community / family activities and diversity of housing. The schools have a good reputation as well.

I think the advice to stay away from Willimantic is sound. I don't think surrounding areas like Windham are crime-ridden, but from what I understand the schools aren't as good as some others.
Thank you I've heard that Glastonbury is a wanna-be Greenwich, lol. Certainly the prop taxes there are MUCH higher from what I can see. Seem like the higher the taxes, the better the school?

We certainly do not expect it to be ANYTHING like Fairfield County. We know better. I'm looking forward to a more sparse area

Is Mansfield the same as Storrs/Mansfield? And yes, there are not any public montessori schools except with the magnet program in Hartford and we're not interested in that.

I like what I'm seeing in S. Windsor this morning...

Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoCT FAMILYOFSIX View Post
Thank you I've heard that Glastonbury is a wanna-be Greenwich, lol. Certainly the prop taxes there are MUCH higher from what I can see. Seem like the higher the taxes, the better the school?

We certainly do not expect it to be ANYTHING like Fairfield County. We know better. I'm looking forward to a more sparse area

Is Mansfield the same as Storrs/Mansfield? And yes, there are not any public montessori schools except with the magnet program in Hartford and we're not interested in that.

I like what I'm seeing in S. Windsor this morning...
Glastonbury is an upper middle class town and has an upscale feel. Greenwich is one of the wealthiest towns in the country/world so they are completely different.

If you can find homes in your price range in South Windsor, Glastonbury or Marlborough, I would jump on them. All three are very nice towns.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I recommed Greater Hartford suburbs they about 35 mins from the UConn area

Glastonbury, West Hartford, Berlin, Southingon, Marlbro, Burlington they have good schools and low crime etc
Would I be correct in assuming that it would be a reverse commute?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Glastonbury is an upper middle class town and has an upscale feel. Greenwich is one of the wealthiest towns in the country/world so they are completely different.

If you can find homes in your price range in South Windsor, Glastonbury or Marlborough, I would jump on them. All three are very nice towns.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut