Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,330 times

Advertisements

Hello. Just moved to Trumbull from San Diego area and in search of good TexMex food! Visited Mezcal in New Haven and while good, not great. Really looking for a great spot to enjoy drinks and good, fresh food. I know TexMex isn't CT's specialty, but I thought I would post here and ask anyway! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Mezcal is not Texmex, it's just plain Mexican. Maybe El Coyote in Monroe will be more your speed.

Geronimo's in Fairfield and New Haven and Oaxaca Kitchen in New Haven are another good options, doing a gourmet American spin on Mexican.

Sloppy Jose's in Milford is pure Texmex. Joey C's is another.

Baja's in Orange claims it's authentic California style Mexican but I personally find it bland. Puerto Vallarta is in Orange and also Americanized Mexican

Old 08-02-2014, 08:34 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Nothing here comes close to the little Mexican food stands in SD.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
CT offers pretty decent bbq -- but Texas has it down better I'll agree. You're in the world of Italian foods and Seafood :-)

Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
I would visit Geronimo but you have to keep in mind that Mexican and TexMex here is NOTHING like they have out west. Our best Mexican here (mezcal) would be considered average at best in southern California.

If you really crave Mexican/TexMex, go to La Esquina in Manhattan. It's a haul just for dinner but it's better than anything we have in CT. It's a taco stand at street level, a small sit-down restaurant just inside, but their most amazing part is the "speakeasy" style underground restaurant. The food, drinks, service and decor is amazing.

Stylo, here is another one recommended for you. Call well ahead to get reservations for their underground restaurant.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,330 times
Thanks guys!! I know I'm not going to get my TexMex fix here which is why I'm trying to learn to cook my own!! I'll try Geronimo and kidyankee, I looked up La Esquina and it looks so cool! I'm definitely going to try it.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,823 times
I was born and raised in TX, and my mom is mexican. The best tex-mex i have found up hereu is Baja's in orange. Get their Carnitas plate and you will be believer too! Sloppy Jose's is white peoples mexican food. Puerto Vallarta in orange was very mediocre.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I was born and raised in TX, and my mom is mexican. The best tex-mex i have found up hereu is Baja's in orange. Get their Carnitas plate and you will be believer too! Sloppy Jose's is white peoples mexican food. Puerto Vallarta in orange was very mediocre.
I found Baja's to be really bland. I don't disagree with you on the others.

Mezcal is really good but some items on the menu are underwhelming. Especially more popular American items. The Mole Poblano is fantastic.

The Long Wharf pizza trucks are decent for a quickie.

There's some good Mexican carts around New Haven too.

La Carretta is decent. Tortilleria la Michoacana has awesome carnitas tacos. C.O. Jones has some ok food too.

I also dig Milford Mexican and Pizza. It's a hole in the wall, but I love their tacos.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 PM

I forgot: Los Molcajetes in Norwalk. Another fave.

Anyone been to Guadalupe La Poblanita?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Not sure it's still there- used to be a place near Fairfield line called Taco Loco? Used to be good.
Up here in Seymour, we have Hot Tamales on Rt67
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut