Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times

Advertisements

I will be going to a surprise party in Milford next month, so I'm trying to figure out the most reliable route to get there so that I'm not late. I mapquested directions and it seems that the trip should take about 50 minutes, and that I can take either 34 or 25 to get there (I'm coming from New Fairfield). 34 appears to be faster by 3 minutes (49 minutes vs. 52 minutes via rte 25), so it looks like it's really 6 of 1.

I'm wondering though if there's anything I should be aware of, like road construction or typical traffic patterns that I may not be aware of, that would make one of the two routes the better option. The party is on a Saturday, early afternoon. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
When I lived in Milford and took trips out towards Danbury (your neck of the woods), the route that made the most sense was 34. It's a quiet fairly easy ride along the valley, however if you get stuck behind a tractor trailer or slow poke it may take a little longer. I was able to make the trip in about 40-45 minutes, best was around 30 (slight speeding, no traffic). I would take it up to 84 then jump 84 to Danbury, coming home I would get off exit 10 and take 34 back.

Depending on where you are going in Milford is going to determine where you want to turn off of 34 to get to your destination. Driving down through Orange can get a little confusing if you don't know the backroads too well so it is best to stick to the main drags.

I would say from 34 turn right onto 121 Grassy Hill Road and just follow it all the way down to Route 1 Post Road. The turn for 121 is the main intersection after the Walmart shopping plaza on your left on 34. Route 1 you will know when you get there.

That will put you pretty much in the center of Milford so if you go straight across 1 you will be in the center, turn right your going into Devon, turn left and you will head towards the Mall. There is no road construction on that route that I know of, for sure nothing from Monroe down as I was just up that way for a wedding last month. I would just give yourself about an hour of travel time and enjoy the scenery along 34 on your way.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
When I lived in Milford and took trips out towards Danbury (your neck of the woods), the route that made the most sense was 34. It's a quiet fairly easy ride along the valley, however if you get stuck behind a tractor trailer or slow poke it may take a little longer. I was able to make the trip in about 40-45 minutes, best was around 30 (slight speeding, no traffic). I would take it up to 84 then jump 84 to Danbury, coming home I would get off exit 10 and take 34 back.

Depending on where you are going in Milford is going to determine where you want to turn off of 34 to get to your destination. Driving down through Orange can get a little confusing if you don't know the backroads too well so it is best to stick to the main drags.

I would say from 34 turn right onto 121 Grassy Hill Road and just follow it all the way down to Route 1 Post Road. The turn for 121 is the main intersection after the Walmart shopping plaza on your left on 34. Route 1 you will know when you get there.

That will put you pretty much in the center of Milford so if you go straight across 1 you will be in the center, turn right your going into Devon, turn left and you will head towards the Mall. There is no road construction on that route that I know of, for sure nothing from Monroe down as I was just up that way for a wedding last month. I would just give yourself about an hour of travel time and enjoy the scenery along 34 on your way.
Thanks for the info! The party is at a golf course, on Coram Lane if that makes a difference? Thx again : )

Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Great River? That's a gorgeous place with very good food. Nice views out back of the Housatonic River looking into the Valley.

I would definitely take 84 to exit 11, and take route 34 from Newtown down to Derby. It's a nice country drive through Newtown, Monroe, Oxford and Seymour, then it turns into a two lane divided highway in Derby.

If you're going to Coram Lane, you'll want to take a right from RT 34 onto Derby-Milford Road (just past a very large cemetery) and another right onto Wheelers Farms Road to go toward the golf course.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-06-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Great River? That's a gorgeous place with very good food. Nice views out back of the Housatonic River looking into the Valley.

I would definitely take 84 to exit 11, and take route 34 from Newtown down to New Haven. It's a nice country drive through Newtown, Monroe, Oxford and Seymour, then it turns into a two lane divided highway in Derby.

If you're going to Coram Lane, you'll want to take a right from RT 34 onto Derby-Milford Road (just past a very large cemetery) and another right onto Wheelers Farms Road to go toward the golf course.
Yes, Great River! So 34 it is. Thanks everyone

Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I visit my parents in the Danbury area very often, and always do Merritt/15 to 25.

I only take 34 if I want the scenic drive. 25 has always been faster.

The only exception is when they're doing paving on the Merritt or something. When I need to get into Danbury quickly, I'll hop on 84 from exit 10.

If you have a smartphone, I'd recommend getting the free Waze app. It dynamically shows you the quickest route. It takes me up 25 every time, unless there's construction.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It dynamically shows you the quickest route. It takes me up 25 every time, unless there's construction.
New Fairfield to Coram Ln is actually shorter in mileage and distance by taking 34. 25/Merritt is an okay option, but 25 through Monroe and Newtown can be stop and go with traffic, plus lights. It's awful. At least 34 is a winding country road through most of it, and you're only in the city portion for a few miles before you turn off into Orange.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
It's definitelt 6/1, but since you are heading eastbound and getting off of 34 before the bulk of the traffic lights, I would take that route - the trip will move a little more quickly than it would if you took 25.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
New Fairfield to Coram Ln is actually shorter in mileage and distance by taking 34. 25/Merritt is an okay option, but 25 through Monroe and Newtown can be stop and go with traffic, plus lights. It's awful. At least 34 is a winding country road through most of it, and you're only in the city portion for a few miles before you turn off into Orange.
25 isn't that bad, but yeah - 34 is more pleasant. I've measured it many times and 25 is definitely a good 10 minutes faster. If a relaxing country drive is a priority, 34 is definitely a nicer drive. I do tend to get stuck behind slow drivers more often than not, but at least you can pass them.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:

I would definitely take 84 to exit 11, and take route 34 from Newtown down to Derby. It's a nice country drive through Newtown, Monroe, Oxford and Seymour, then it turns into a two lane divided highway in Derby.

I was going to suggest this way too. I love the ride on 34 through Newtown, Monroe, Oxford and Seymour myself. Very scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut