Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys. I have over 40 lights in the home. You gotta have a bulb loose to spend double or triple the amount for each bulb. Like I said.. I prefer the dark and still have bulbs working from over 5yrs ago that cost me a couple bucks. I'll pass.

I know they are phasing out of the incandescent stuff (figures) so I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
My daylights are 5000K. But I love the sun and they have worked better for me for graphical work.

Cam, I agree on the price, it's nuts. I stocked up on 100w incandescents for the basement. I only have 2 on to do the laundry but when I'm working down there I turn the rest on as needed. It has to throw a decent amount of light. I only keep lights on where I am (anywhere in the house) but dammit they have to be bright. I spent a week in a hotel once that had 40w bulbs. I went out that night and bought brighter ones. Gives me the creeps if I can't see the corners especially in a hotel lol

I just counted and I have 13 lights plus the basement. That includes the pantry and back bathroom that never gets used. 40 is a lot!!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Arrow I like incadescents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks guys. I have over 40 lights in the home. You gotta have a bulb loose to spend double or triple the amount for each bulb. Like I said.. I prefer the dark and still have bulbs working from over 5yrs ago that cost me a couple bucks. I'll pass.

I know they are phasing out of the incandescent stuff (figures) so I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Lol
I knew they were being phased out so bought multiple packs. Then saw a clearance sale at Home Depot and bought more. Then a deep discount store near me (Xpect) put some in their clearance aisle and I bought more. I only have 5 lights and think I am "set for life" with bulbs. I did buy a little lamp last year that recommended the low-wattage twisty bulb and I found it too dim for me. Too bad they are phasing them out. They should just have both and let the consumer decide. Or are we too dumb to know what works better for us?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Now I am sitting here counting my lights in the home, fixtures not bulbs. So the total is 44 not counting outdoor floods. The ones on the backyard are still 500W halogen but my side and driveway sensors are LED. When we moved here the prior owner had an old fixture with a CFL and a broken PAR bulb. They were quickly replaced and I love the LED. The only other thing I would do someday is replace the back halogen floods with a nice HID style flood.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 AM

Just got a letter.. as we know CL&P(Now Eversource) increased their rate by 26%. North American Power has a fixed rate through end of this year at 10.5 cents.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:03 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just got a letter.. as we know CL&P(Now Eversource) increased their rate by 26%. North American Power has a fixed rate through end of this year at 10.5 cents.
I received the same letter and North American Power charges a cancellation fee. $10 for every month remaining on your contract up to a max of $50. Also, if you don't renew with them or cancel they will automatically put you into their "variable rate plan." This caught a lot of people off guard in the past (myself included)

Last year I was with a company called "Town Square energy" and they put me in their variable rate plan. The rate jumped to about .14 cents vs CL&P's .09 cents. They insisted they gave me notice, but I don't remember getting any notice. I wouldn't do business with them again even if they had the lowest rates.

These companies know what they are doing and are doing it on purpose IMO. This is how they make money hoping people won't notice the jump in prices or at the very least they will get one month at high prices before people switch.

FWIW, I've had good experiences with Dominion and ConEdison.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:19 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I received the same letter and North American Power charges a cancellation fee. $10 for every month remaining on your contract up to a max of $50. Also, if you don't renew with them or cancel they will automatically put you into their "variable rate plan." This caught a lot of people off guard in the past (myself included)

Last year I was with a company called "Town Square energy" and they put me in their variable rate plan. The rate jumped to about .14 cents vs CL&P's .09 cents. They insisted they gave me notice, but I don't remember getting any notice. I wouldn't do business with them again even if they had the lowest rates.

These companies know what they are doing and are doing it on purpose IMO. This is how they make money hoping people won't notice the jump in prices or at the very least they will get one month at high prices before people switch.

FWIW, I've had good experiences with Dominion and ConEdison.
But if you stay up on it and just do the switches at the right time you will come out ahead of the game. Just note the month your contract is up and switch to a new plan. Right?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But if you stay up on it and just do the switches at the right time you will come out ahead of the game. Just note the month your contract is up and switch to a new plan. Right?
That's what I thought. Why would you have to cancel it by the time the year is up?

Unless they want you to sign a 2 yr contract and the rate lock is just for 9 months, then yeah, that sucks after the low rate end date. Your stuck. Good heads up MrGompers

Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Sounds good, but the onus shouldn't be on the consumer. After the contract expires if you don't renew you should revert back to CL&P automatically. The CT legislature was debating this last year, but I don't think it went any where. If the companies have the ability to switch your plan, they also have the ability to switch it back to CL&P. BTW, there is a one month lag when switching.

When I got caught in this variable rate plan BS last year I called CL&P to get switched back to them. The woman on the phone told me that about 90% of the calls she was getting was due to this variable rate plan BS. You would think CL&P would want the change too, since their staff is spending so much time on the issue.

I bet that if the automatic switching to variable rate plans was outlawed, half of these companies would disappear.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:58 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
Surprised rates are going down quite a bit. Almost 20 percent.

NEW BRITAIN – PURA approved lower standard service rates for Eversource and United Illuminating customers Friday, that would drop rates for that part of their bill almost 20 percent.

The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority met Friday and voted on the reduction. Effective July 1, 2015, Eversource’s residential generation rate will decrease from 12.629 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh) to 8.228 cents/kWh. UI’s residential generation rate will decrease from 13.3108 cents/kWh to 9.1241 cents/kWh.
Eversource said in a statement, “The average supply rate for Standard Service customers will decrease from the current 12.42 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh) to 8.25 cents, a savings of almost 20 percent.

This means an average residential customer using 700 kWh monthly will see a reduction of almost $31.00 in their monthly bill. The new rates would be in effect from July 1st through December 31.”

PURA approves reduction in electricity supply rates for Eversource, UI customers | FOX CT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut