Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:46 PM

14 posts, read 15,618 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the misspelled word yes I meant in-expensive... Well my Husband works in NYC and I am next in line for a really good job. Two hours away from the city is my limit any further away wouldn't be ideal. I heard Hartford has a horrible school system this is why I said no Hartford. We want to live in CT but continue to work in the city unless I could find a decent job close to the place we will be living in CT. Greenwich is very expensive so that's out of our league. I was going to settle with New Haven but I heard it's really bad there. I was looking into Milford but it seems a bit far from the city.

Does anyone know about Nagautuck CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 03:49 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,236,197 times
Danbury to NYC is a hard commute. Best case, and I truly mean absolute best case, is 1.5 hours each way. You need to look a lot further down the train line and be willing to have more than a modest budget for it to be doable...

Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,213,916 times
Since you mention good schools, I am assuming kids. If so, 2 hours commute for both parents makes little to no sense.

Forget about CT. Look in Jersey.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Danbury area, Milford, North Haven, Branford, Wallingford, Shelton
Easy NYC commute?? No.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derese View Post
Sorry for the misspelled word yes I meant in-expensive... Well my Husband works in NYC and I am next in line for a really good job. Two hours away from the city is my limit any further away wouldn't be ideal. I heard Hartford has a horrible school system this is why I said no Hartford. We want to live in CT but continue to work in the city unless I could find a decent job close to the place we will be living in CT. Greenwich is very expensive so that's out of our league. I was going to settle with New Haven but I heard it's really bad there. I was looking into Milford but it seems a bit far from the city.

Does anyone know about Nagautuck CT?
Milford is a 90 minute train ride. Naugatuck is well over 2 hours and marginal schools

Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 PM

14 posts, read 15,618 times
Wow Milford seems close. I think I'll look into that. I know that one of us have to work in CT to be closer to our children who will be attending school there. Eventually one of us will have to work in CT. If this job doesn't work out for me then it will be me. I hope Milford has plenty of fun things to do so my Husband wont be bored to death lol. He loves the noise of NYC but we need a more calmer setting for the childrens sake. He will hopefully get used to it. Thanks for the help that you guys were able to give me. Milford doesn't seem expensive..

Old 09-07-2014, 04:56 PM

14,062 posts, read 13,970,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derese View Post
Wow Milford seems close. I think I'll look into that. I know that one of us have to work in CT to be closer to our children who will be attending school there. Eventually one of us will have to work in CT. If this job doesn't work out for me then it will be me. I hope Milford has plenty of fun things to do so my Husband wont be bored to death lol. He loves the noise of NYC but we need a more calmer setting for the childrens sake. He will hopefully get used to it. Thanks for the help that you guys were able to give me. Milford doesn't seem expensive..
Places that not is too far Milford you can vist with your kids.

Downtown New Haven has some of best pizza, bars, Yale University Art Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, Museums, Frank pepe pizzeria is one of the best pizza places, Downtown New Haven is kinda virbant but not NYC or Boston

Stamford is 30 mins from Milford also Stamford is close to NYC it will remind you of White Plains, New Rochelle in Westchester County, NY nearby

Milford has a nice beach, small walkable downtown, alot of retail places to shop on the Boston Post Road, Milford Mall, good places to eat.

Downtown Fairfield is recommend too

Discovery Museum Adventure Park in Bridgeport good for kids age 6-12 there zip line there, Beardsley Zoo a small zoo for kids also.

It about 40 mins from Milford Quassy Amusement Park

Old 09-07-2014, 05:00 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,236,197 times
Milford is not close. It's a 90 minute train ride to GCS. You still need to add to the 90 minutes travel time, your commute to the station, and then a few minutes more of wait time at the platform. Not easy at all. But yes a fun town, esp if you don't work in Ny and are actually near the town to enjoy all it offers!

Old 09-07-2014, 05:02 PM

There a train station in Milford the train take you to Grand Central in Manhattan, NYC traffic wise on I-95 can be bad from 6:40-9:30 AM starting in the Stratford area and evening hours too. New Haven Union Station has a Amtrak stop to Penn Station and elsewhere.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Milford is not close. It's a 90 minute train ride to GCS. You still need to add to the 90 minutes travel time, your commute to the station, and then a few minutes more of wait time at the platform. Not easy at all. But yes a fun town, esp if you don't work in Ny and are actually near the town to enjoy all it offers!

Milford can work the OP want to go into NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut