Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I left Connecticut when I graduated high school in 1992 and when my business obligations conclude in the middle of next year (2009... I'm being optimistic by 2 days) I will be moving back to Connecticut. In retrospect I never should have left, and am finally seeing the opportunity to correct that. I am a single, gay male and will be relocating near my brother in the Hartford area.

In any case, since I can (almost) say next year I'm moving back to Connecicut, I was hoping you guys can help excite me about Connecticut as a place to live and start a new business. I know the basics since I lived in Trumbull and Westport from 4 - 18, but I want to know what I might have missed as a child that I will know appreciate as an adult living in and operating a business (internet business-- I can live anywhere) in Connecticut!

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:01 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
I'd tell you to pick Stamford--or somewhere in Fairfield County. Stamford is the best though, since you have several huge banking headquarters either located here or under construction here. Numerous Fortune 500 "bigwig" companies, a very wealthy resident base, educated consumers, 45 mins by train to Manhattan, and the prestige of being a Fairfield County business.

As for what you missed out on--I have lived here for 2 years, can't really assist you with that point. However, I can tell you that Stamford is growing really quickly, and many new luxury condos/towers and big companies are locating here. Good place to live.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:25 AM

I don't think I'll be able to afford any where in Fairfield County. I am looking at Hartford County and Tolland because its close to my family and I can get a decent condo for 150K. Has downtown Stamford improved much? Was kind of a hole except for the mall as far as I remember.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times
In Tolland County you will be able to find a very nice Townhouse from 150-180K

Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Condo in Tolland

That's what I have seen by looking at the listings online. Vernon seems to come up quite a bit... and conveniently, I LOVE Rein's Deli.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times
Reins is a great place -some nice condo's and townhouses are here from 140-180K.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't think I'll be able to afford any where in Fairfield County. I am looking at Hartford County and Tolland because its close to my family and I can get a decent condo for 150K. Has downtown Stamford improved much? Was kind of a hole except for the mall as far as I remember.
Stamford's come a long way. Speaking to my partner and others who are Stamford and Fairfield County "longtimers," downtown was a place you'd rather avoid 20-30 years ago.
Now, however, downtown is a destination. Like many other cities' downtowns of the '70s and '80s, Stamfords' downtown had some corporations and seedy areas--not much else. Today, though, it is another world entirely. The mall has a brand new outdoor plaza addition, with a Barnes and Noble, California Pizza Kitchen, H&M clothing, and many upscale restaurants. The Royal Bank of Scotland is building its North American Headquarters downtown, Donald Trump is building a 35 story Trump Tower condo residences, The Highgrove is another luxury tower at 18 stories going up. Prices there start at $1.2 million!! Downtown's south end has the planned live/work/play massive development proposed to begin in 2008/2009, and Ritz-Carlton has 2 planned 40 story towers going in across from Stamford's Theatre. In the future, an extension of light rail/trolley system has been discussed to go from downtown up to Bull's Head & High Ridge Road areas. The Lord & Taylor department store in the Bull's Head neighborhood area (my neighborhood) is getting a Whole Food's store and several other boutique shops. Everywhere you look in Stamford, there is something going up.
Stamford's not cheap, but you are paying for the location of course. Being 44 mins by train to the city, and being in Fairfield County does come with a slighter higher pricetag. Prices here have slipped somewhat since 2005/2006, though. A condo for $150k will most likely get you a 1 bedroom/studio here, but it may not be a building with many amenities and it will probably be somewhat older.
From what I've been told, Hartford is pretty much the place to avoid! No offense to Hartford. I do hear it's downtown has also undergone a big change. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:19 PM
hfd

47 posts, read 246,962 times
The previous poster obviously hasn't been to Hartford anytime recently. Plus, this may interest you:
http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/press/TheClosetDoorsOpen.html (broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd View Post
The previous poster obviously hasn't been to Hartford anytime recently. Plus, this may interest you:
press (http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/press/TheClosetDoorsOpen.html - broken link)
Granted, I have not been to Hartford recently. I've just been twice, entirely. That was about 5 years ago. I should head up and check out the progress.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM

14 posts, read 49,384 times
Can't help you. I lived in CT for 20 years, and found it was very hard to get out of. It never really recovered from the mass layoffs of the early 90s (GE, IBM, GTE, defense, others). Consequently there was a generation of middle managers falling all over one another to clerk at Home Depot for the health insurance. The entire state, for me, assumed a grey pall. You will see the difference, wherever you are moving from: where erstwhile professionals are scraping for every dime, there's not a lot of energy left over for tolerance. Plus, do the leftover middle agers' gigs for too long and you are cooked forever. The people reflect this reality. Of the places you mentioned, you'd have a shot at a life in Stamford. PS - I did get out, to an area with growth in good jobs and a different energy. In a place where there is enough to go around, a different civility reigns - having a good conversation once more becomes a valued lifestyle choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut