Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,028,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiZZ View Post
Me and my friend are in the process of moving into an apartment in Hartford together. We plan to apply for every available assistance program, considering we are young college students with a small household income and a hefty private school tuition (University of Hartford). We are both lifelong residents of the area however, and we know that even WITH 100% legit documentation, it will be a long process securing these benefits.

Aren't you the least bit ashamed to get welfare for school?? There are grants for that purpose and student loans that you can PAY BACK!

Welfare is a short-term safety net, not a hammock and not a long-term solution. It is not supposed to be to put you through school or support you while you start a business (I know someone doing that right now).

Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM

142 posts, read 661,216 times
How many of us here in CT and New England have really, truly taken a good, hard look at the impact illegal immigration has had on the states in the southwest, such as California, Arizona and Texas? Do we still live and think in isolation, since we're far away from the mind-boggling problems and issues affecting the citizens in those states? I've spent my entire life here in New England, but to me it is truly shocking the widespread impact this issue of illegal immigration has had on the lives of the citizens who live in areas of those states. I for one only gave the issue casual interest in the past, based on the scant coverage given in the media around these parts, much of which did not probe deeply enough in my opinion. I would just suggest to my fellow posters to set aside your political beliefs, use this tool called the Internet to do more research and look closely at all the issues around illegal immigration, and draw your own conclusions.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 PM

333 posts, read 468,359 times
The problems going on in Danbury are just as mind-boggling. Illegal immigration has completely changed the way of life in that small city. Visit Main and White Streets and you'll see what I mean regarding the abundance of them. That said, if you lived in town just five years ago the changes are staggering. I see more foreign flags flying around Danbury than American flags (but thats a whole other thread!)

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 AM

394 posts, read 2,004,184 times
Quote:

Me and my friend are in the process of moving into an apartment in Hartford together. We plan to apply for every available assistance program, considering we are young college students with a small household income and a hefty private school tuition (University of Hartford). We are both lifelong residents of the area however, and we know that even WITH 100% legit documentation, it will be a long process securing these benefits.
I am not sure what kind of "assistance" you are applying for, (I hope you mean grants/scholarships/loans) but we have a friend whose daughter attended UH and she said the college was very good about finding scholarships for her, better than most colleges. My son is applying to colleges right now, and wants to attend the University of New Haven. Tuition costs for UNH and UH are similar, I know what you are facing. Tuition is $35,000.00-$40,000.00 a year, including room and board. We haven't been able to find much in the way of any kind of assistance so far, though. My son has a C+ average, doesn't play sports, is white, and we are a middle-class family. The questions on the many scholarship forms we have been filling out have actually amused me in some cases, questions like, "do you live in a trailer park?", "are you over 6'", "do you believe in the death penalty", etc. etc., and of course they want to know his nationality, color, and financial info. In general, I find the average middle-class student to be least likely to receive grants and scholarships, it's very frustrating. I don't think the process is entirely fair.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 AM

271 posts, read 1,279,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
When talking "low income" (Children living in families with incomes below this level—$41,300 for a family of four in 2007—are referred to as low income.) the stats are
14% of white children live in low-income families.

44% of black children live in low-income families.

60% of Latino children live in low-income families

So based on that we can extrapolate that if they are making up for of our society than before, it will indeed affect the social system.

It's not about being "racist" I'm simply stating the facts.
There are about 300,000,000 people living in the United States.

Only 14% of White families may live under the poverty line but according to the last census data white people account for 75% of the American population. Black people account for 12% and Latinos are 12.5%.

If you do the math you will see that the caucasian persuasion is by far the biggest "drain" on your tax dollars.

White: 300,000,000 * 75% = 225,000,000 * 14% = 31,500,000

Black: 300,000,000 * 12% = 36,000,000 * 44% = 15,840,000

Latino: 300,000,000 * 12.5% = 37,500,000 * 60% = 22,500,000

Census 2000 Gateway

Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
There are about 300,000,000 people living in the United States.

Only 14% of White families may live under the poverty line but according to the last census data white people account for 75% of the American population. Black people account for 12% and Latinos are 12.5%.

If you do the math you will see that the caucasian persuasion is by far the biggest "drain" on your tax dollars.

White: 300,000,000 * 75% = 225,000,000 * 14% = 31,500,000

Black: 300,000,000 * 12% = 36,000,000 * 44% = 15,840,000

Latino: 300,000,000 * 12.5% = 37,500,000 * 60% = 22,500,000

Census 2000 Gateway
I'm not sure where all this came from. This was about CT and the impact of our social system from the Latino's increasing in number. Not national numbers or who is "worse".

BUT I'll play for a minute since you are somehow turning this into a racial issue instead of a factual one.

Percentages are what you have to look at, not final figures. Going by above figures only 56% of blacks and 40 % of Latinos are above the "poverty" line while 86% of "whites" are.

20,160,000 Blacks
15,000,000 Latinos
193,500,000 Whites

Repectively above the "poverty line".

That says that overwhelmingly the "white" popluation earns a higher income and therefore pays more in taxes and is "by far" a larger contributor to the coffers than the black or latino populous. In shear numbers and percentages. If you like we can look at household incomes vs race and I think you will see that that caucasians salaries exceed that of minorities by far and as such pay a MUCH higher tax percentage/bracket and again end up being a much larger contributor to the coffers.

Edit: What what the heck...I'll save the time and just post it.

For 2006 the highest percent distribution (In other words in all the income brackets the highest for caucasians was in the over 100K column) for caucasians were over 100K at 20.2% (and that carries a 50% income tax burden - yes 50%) while 5.3% of blacks are in that income bracket and 10.5% of latinos.

Again, this is NOT what the discussion is about and I am simply replying to your skewed numbers and logic.

In case your wondering my degree is in social sciences.

Last edited by JViello; 01-10-2008 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-10-2008, 05:20 PM

77 posts, read 325,598 times
In response to those who made negative comments regarding me and my friend's choice to seek assistance.

I am 17 years old, white, low income, single mother household. I have lived in Hartford and Windsor my entire life. I was homeless in 1995. I have worked every single day since i turned 16 years old. I studied very hard in poor public school systems to rise to the top 12% of my class with an SAT of 1240 out of 1600. I am attending the Hartt School of Music. They have given me a 17,000 dollar scholarship, but it is not enough. I have NOTHING. I AM ENTITLED TO ASSISTANCE. I pay taxes just like you, thank you.

My friend is 17 years old, puerto rican, lived in the north end of hartford for 14 years before moving to Windsor and befriending me. He lives in a small house with more than a half dozen other permanent and semi-permanent residents. His father is on disability and his brother is recovering from a gunshot wound that has left him crippled. He has worked everyday since he turned 16. He worked just as hard as me through poor public school systems and is attending the Univ. Hartford with a 10,000 dollar scholarship. But it is not enough. He has NOTHING. HE IS ENTITLED TO ASSISTANCE. He pays taxes just like you.

my uncle was a heroin addict who lived off of assistance programs for 40 years and never made a move to improve his situation. Me and my friend are rising from circumstances many of you on this board will not ever experience to go to college, educate ourselves, and improve society. WHO DESERVES THE AID???

I don't mean to sound abrasive but i will not be accused of having an entitlement mentatlity like some snot nosed rich little f*ck. Me and my friend and our families have hustled for every cent we have.

THANK YOU

Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,465,881 times
Why don't you get a student loan like everyone else who doesn't come from money does. There are so many resources for you to investigate online rather than posting on a message board about your circumstance.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM

77 posts, read 325,598 times
LuckyGem

I am applying for FAFSA, scholarships, grants, performance scholarships (music school). I will be taking out a loan. I am ALSO looking into assistance programs.

I don't know if you have any experience with being poor, but paying back student loans (or loans of any type) is not as easy as telling me to go take one out.

But suit yourself. Yours (and mine) tax dollars could go to college students or to crackheads.

Hey heres an idea!

How about you send me some money? It grows on trees for you doesn't it? Just go max out on a loan! A perfect solution!

God bless Los Angelinos.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 PM

394 posts, read 2,004,184 times
Quote:
In response to those who made negative comments regarding me and my friend's choice to seek assistance.

I am 17 years old, white, low income, single mother household. I have lived in Hartford and Windsor my entire life. I was homeless in 1995. I have worked every single day since i turned 16 years old. I studied very hard in poor public school systems to rise to the top 12% of my class with an SAT of 1240 out of 1600. I am attending the Hartt School of Music. They have given me a 17,000 dollar scholarship, but it is not enough. I have NOTHING. I AM ENTITLED TO ASSISTANCE. I pay taxes just like you, thank you.

My friend is 17 years old, puerto rican, lived in the north end of hartford for 14 years before moving to Windsor and befriending me. He lives in a small house with more than a half dozen other permanent and semi-permanent residents. His father is on disability and his brother is recovering from a gunshot wound that has left him crippled. He has worked everyday since he turned 16. He worked just as hard as me through poor public school systems and is attending the Univ. Hartford with a 10,000 dollar scholarship. But it is not enough. He has NOTHING. HE IS ENTITLED TO ASSISTANCE. He pays taxes just like you.

my uncle was a heroin addict who lived off of assistance programs for 40 years and never made a move to improve his situation. Me and my friend are rising from circumstances many of you on this board will not ever experience to go to college, educate ourselves, and improve society. WHO DESERVES THE AID???

I don't mean to sound abrasive but i will not be accused of having an entitlement mentatlity like some snot nosed rich little f*ck. Me and my friend and our families have hustled for every cent we have.

THANK YOU
Yes, you have worked very hard, as have many others applying for "assistance". But I hesitate to ever say that anyone is ever "entitled" to it. Anyone who works pays taxes; with your logic everyone would be entitled to some form of assistance just because they worked hard or had troubled backgrounds.

And you don't need to swear at us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut