Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM

77 posts, read 325,598 times

Advertisements

Well you also need to qualify for assistance. I believe if you work hard, pay taxes, and still come up on the short end of the stick...you are in the right to seek aid. Maybe "entitled" isnt the kosher word for it considering you still have to apply for it, but regardless, it is well within your right to recieve it.

i apologize for my language, but if you where in my position you would be quite angry if you had just been chastized in such a condescending manner over an issue that you certainly aren't enjoying. taking hand outs isnt as fun as it may seem!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,028,844 times
Tizz, I applaud you for wanting to get an education. It shows that you truly want to better your position in life. I applaud you even more for doing it at such a young age.

But taxes are sky high in this country for many different reasons. The money that you say you are "entitled" to is not just appearing out of thin air. It comes from taxes that all of us pay. Just because a person pays in does not mean the government owes them an education, free meals, free health care, etc. This country has been successful because most people work hard to better themselves and that creates wealth for the government to tax. There are programs to help people in your position to go to school. I think most people (especially in this thread) believe that welfare was not designed for that purpose.

I hate to sound "old" here, but I am a Gen-Xer who is kind of concerned with the entitlement mentality that I see among so many younger people today. I know that the younger generation always gets some flak from older generations, but I am worried that there are way too many people ready to accept a hand-out and there might not be enough contributors, especially when you start competing with the Baby Boomers who will demand no cuts in Social Security (but that is a different thread).

I don't mean to lecture you but please understand that many of us (myself included) pay well over 40% of our income in taxes each year. We just get a little touchy when people stand up and demand more or use it in an unintended manner.

If you can't afford the school of your choice then maybe there is a less expensive alternative for you.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 AM

394 posts, read 2,004,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post

If you can't afford the school of your choice then maybe there is a less expensive alternative for you.
That is an excellent point. Have you applied to Central Connecticut State University, Tizz? Tuition, room and board is a more reasonable $13,000.00 per year. With your good grades you should qualify for all sorts of scholarships and grants. I am not sure what you plan to major in, but even lesser expensive community colleges will have the more common classes that you will need for your major, too. After a year or two you could always transfer to Central, or UNH, you do not need to attend an expensive college for the entire 4 years to get your degree from them.

Niners Fan, my teenagers have resigned themselves to their fate, they accept that they will be starting out their lives with student loans to pay. Of course they are not happy about it, but they understand that it is inevitable with the high cost of college being what it is. And they will continue to work while they attend college. Other than any possible scholarships or grants they might be eligible for, (not entitled to, they don't see it that way at all) they don't expect or ask for any other type of assistance.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiZZ View Post
In response to those who made negative comments regarding me and my friend's choice to seek assistance.

I am 17 years old, white, low income, single mother household. I have lived in Hartford and Windsor my entire life. I was homeless in 1995. I have worked every single day since i turned 16 years old. I studied very hard in poor public school systems to rise to the top 12% of my class with an SAT of 1240 out of 1600. I am attending the Hartt School of Music. They have given me a 17,000 dollar scholarship, but it is not enough. I have NOTHING. I AM ENTITLED TO ASSISTANCE. I pay taxes just like you, thank you.
Well since our laundry is out on the line...

Seems we have something in common then. White, low income, single mother who barely worked household (Mine was battling an alcohol problem too...not sure about your case) I grew up in the worst of the worst neighborhoods in Waterbury.

I got on a Greyhound bus at the age of 19 with $300 and bag of clothes and went to Orlando determined NOT to end up a ghetto thug. Stayed at the Salvation Army for a week before renting a room in someones house, worked two jobs most of the way through school. (University of Central Florida). DJ'd in nightclubs...at night, and worked at various other tasks in the entertainment industry outside of that. Washed dishes at Perkins, worked at Hardees early morning shift on top of it.

Graduated with a double major not at the top of my class but pretty good.

Didn't take a dime from the government.

What I learned most from all that is "want" and "need" are two entirely different things in life and some people these days don't know the difference.

It also gave me the backbone to build a 7 figure company out of a 10K investment in 3 years. I recently sold it and am now on a new venture.

Just another very true story - hopefully for inspriration.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,906,455 times
Very inspiring, indeed! Rep for a good post & reps for having a good head on your shoulders!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM

77 posts, read 325,598 times
JViello

Your story is indeed inspiring. I hope I can accomplish even a fraction of that.

I don't know, maybe it's the culture I live in. The kids i've grown up have all sort have been conditioned to take advantage of the government where possible. I still don't think it's inherently wrong to accept handouts, but your story points out that it is not necesary.

I may be smart, but im not wise. I am still a kid after all. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM

394 posts, read 2,004,184 times
No one is born wise, Tizz! We all just learn as we go along. And I do think you are getting off to a good start, you have accomplished a great deal so far.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,028,844 times
Tizz - you are an inspirational story in the making! Don't underestimate yourself. Government is good. We need it for some things. But ultimately you will be the one to make yourself a success, not government.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiZZ View Post
JViello

Your story is indeed inspiring. I hope I can accomplish even a fraction of that.

I don't know, maybe it's the culture I live in. The kids i've grown up have all sort have been conditioned to take advantage of the government where possible. I still don't think it's inherently wrong to accept handouts, but your story points out that it is not necesary.

I may be smart, but im not wise. I am still a kid after all. Thank you.
I'm glad to hear it...but don't sell yourself short. You are already leap years ahead of where I was. Trust me! I expect you will do things even greater - because in all humility I still say that I'm nothing special. Just a guy who worked hard.

Nothing wrong with HELP IMO, nothing at all. If you are truely down on your luck and need help, by all means. But I see way way way too many students who cry broke but HAVE to have a 160gig iPod because they 'NEED" one. Know what I mean?

I also had many students call me up in my last business with a few thousand to blow on their car because their check/loan came in for "living expenses". I almost hung up the phone more than once...but I aint their momma and the cash was green. lol

If there is anything *I* can do to help you out - just hit me up. I do have commerical accounts (I do tile/grout, natural stone, carpet, vinyl and wood floor restoration, repair and cleaning now) so I do have some "after hours" work and can always use help so long as the work is there. Just let me know. I'm serious.

Good luck and keep working towards the positive and DON'T GIVE UP.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM

191 posts, read 901,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
First, I hope you enjoy your vacation in Florida.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just stating the facts. Between 1850 and 1920 there was a massive amount of immigrants to this country, especially from Italy and Ireland. The Italians and Irish came to America to escape the poverty they were subjected to in their own countries. Most of them entered America through Ellis Island where only 2% of them were turned back because they had obvious physical maladies. That was the only criteria for this "legal" immigration, there were no background checks or document checks.

When they arrived they lived in overcrowded, dirty housing tenements. The men waited on street corners hoping to get picked to work as day laborers in constructions sites or factories. Their children assimilated to American culture and moved up the social ladder. This is American history. My point is what makes the illegal immigrants of today so different?
a few things make a difference.
1. your time frame. 1850-1920 , thats 70 years of immigration, legal or not, compared to the possible 20 million illegals in 10-15 yr boom we're in now. (and those illegals are not working to the point where they are NOThaving babies. They are cranking them out)

2. there was a huge amount of growth in america during your stated time period and the government actually pushed for MORE immigration. we needed the workers. the country's population in 1920 was approx 100 million. The government practically stopped all legal immigration with the immigration law of 1924

3. Welfare. and that my friend makes ALL the difference. Back then there was NO WELFARE. NO services at all. Welfare didnt start till 1930. So if you came to america back then, your 3 choices were work, steal or die. Now the illegals come here and they get free medical and thats about it. But their children that are born here are CITIZENS. Which ENTITLES them to food stamps and everything else. Now those kids are being raised in poverty, living in squalor, and secluded among their own communities. Do you really think they are going to grow up and be law abiding, tax paying, PROUD to be an american? Or do you think they might have the same exact problems faced by much of our urban youth and wind up dropping out, having kids and hitting the welfare system and drug/jail circuit.

just my 2cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut