Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 25,233 times

Advertisements

I am a new transplant to the Milford area after spending most of my life in the Midwest (I moved here from Kansas City) and I have a few questions.

First of all, can someone give me more details on what the job situation is like here in Connecticut? I came here to go to graduate school but I have been very disappointed in my ability to find a good paying job. I have a good background with a lot of experience in IT, though I am currently working on the business side of health care. I have not seen jobs that pay much at all and in fact my current job at a university hospital pays less than I made back west and it is a temporary job too. Am I just looking in the wrong places? Is NYC much better?

Also, while the group of people that I work with now are nice and friendly, I have not found this to be the case of most people I talk to. I think people are by and large rude up here. Does it kill someone to say "thank you" or "you're welcome" in response to a similar comment? I called a bookstore today to get their hours for tomorrow and as I was saying "thanks" the girl just hung up on me. What is the deal on that? Is it genetic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,038,274 times
Sorry to hear of your unpleasant experiences thus far in Connecticut. Jobs are becoming a tough find everywhere- the economy is simply slowing. Jobs in Connecticut are for the most part in health care , elderly services and education- with the sub prime mortgage market now tumbling- the once strong finance sector is now under stress.

As for rude people- well there are many here- and also along the Boston to Washington corridor. Its the culture- best thing to do is not take it personally, and move on.

Lastly, there is a great deal of cultural shock among many from the middle of the country when they move to the northeast corridor- this is very common. There are differences that in fact do exist, and will not disappear. One has to adapt, meet people who are receptive- and not expect the same openness found in the middle of the country.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM

I would be inclined to agree that the economy as a whole is not great. The jobs data released yesterday would seem to give some support to that. What cities are the best and worse? And is it worth commuting into NYC? Since I'm in health care finance, I don't think that I would have as much competition as I would in pure finance, given the turmoil on Wall St of late.

As for the rudeness of people here, I can deal with it. I am an intensely private person myself, so I didn't care too much for the openness in the midwest. I've been to NYC many times before so it's not really a culture shock. Spent a lot of time in LA too, so I'm used to crowds, etc. I was more lamenting about the lack of politeness and respect that people show each other. I think that's unfortunate.

Last edited by osiris; 01-05-2008 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Well osiris

I wish I could help you more- I have lived here most of my life- and to be truthful, honesty and frankness goes further with me then phony niceness.

I would imagine its all related to expectations- some people might agree with you, some would not. From my personal experiences I have found people here to be more genuine then those in California, who are nice to your face- but have little follow up in their ability to develop a friendship that lasts.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 56,775 times
I have also lived in the Midwest for the better part of my life (despite my NYC origins) and only moved up to CT just this past September from IL after twenty-some years there and a few in England.

Perhaps my experiences are slightly different since I am Asian-American, but I have encountered considerably more rudness and coldness in the midwest than in CT (or in NYC and the UK.). I can't say that Chicago is necessarily racist, but because I have also heard this from so many other Asians from other parts of the nation, I do wonder a bit.

I have to admit that I was reluctant to move to CT at first, if only because I expected that it would be at least as bigoted, but so far I have been pleasantly disappointed. People do say "You're welcome," they do smile, and they don't try to brush or push you aside. And they will strike up a conversation with you: this rather surprised me considering everything I've heard about cold New Englanders! If anything, it seems that people here are extremely polite, if not courtly. (Sometimes you feel like you're back in the 18th century!) Other women don't give you the evil eye if you happen to be well-dressed (as in "how dare a minority woman be better dressed?") Restaurant hosts/hostesses don't seat you in the back because you look "different" from others: everything seems to be first come, first serve--the way it should be! And so far, no idiots approaching me on the sidewalk with "Are you Chinese, Japanese, or Korean?" (As if it's anyone's business.)

The only complaints I have are 1) that the driving seems so much crazier than in the midwest! It's almost kind of Jekyll/Hyde thing where they're polite to you in person--but not on the road! Everyone seems to be in a special hurry to get somewhere. 2) Everything (with perhaps the exception of real estate especially in nice places like West Hartford, Farmington, Avon, etc.) also seems rather more expensive. Otherwise, I like it here a great deal: my only regret is that I didn't move here sooner.

What I'm curious about is what other parts of CT are like. Is Hartford county, especially West Hartford, very unusual in terms of its political, social, and cultural climate? How "typical" is it of CT?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 PM

West Hartford nativebronxgirl- is perhaps one of the most attractive towns in the state with a population over 50,000. It has a more urban demeanor then other towns to the west, but is largely a very attractive community with established leafy neighborhoods with a great amount of charm.

The center of town around Farmington Av, La Salle road and South Main street has fine shops and boutiques, and excellent restaurants. The adjacent Blueback square, just completed adds more in shops, eateries, and entertainment.

Culturally and politically the town leans leftward- as does the state. The town exemplifies New England 'understatement' totally, with a relaxed and sophisticated aura. The town represents a more upscale vision of Connecticut compared to more middle class and working class towns.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 56,775 times
I definitely agree that West Hartford is very charming--it's one of the reasons why I finally decided to move here. I like the fact that it seems to combine the best of relatively rural surroundings--all the hills and beautiful scenery nearby (esp near Avon and Granby)--with cosmopolitan flair.

They just opened up Blue Back square about a month and half ago and it looks quite promising (despite the fact that a few stores have not opened yet). I found it interesting that some of the folks in the daily paper were beginning to compare it to Greenwich! They're probably stretching it a bit, but I guess it's better to feel hopeful than not.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 PM

Is the job market better in Hartford than along the coast?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,411,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Well osiris

I wish I could help you more- I have lived here most of my life- and to be truthful, honesty and frankness goes further with me then phony niceness.

I would imagine its all related to expectations- some people might agree with you, some would not. From my personal experiences I have found people here to be more genuine then those in California, who are nice to your face- but have little follow up in their ability to develop a friendship that lasts.
This is an excellent comment. I live in CA and have been here since 1989 and I have found that it exactly as you say.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 PM

The issue with rudeness was a secondary comment. My greater issue is with the CT job market. Any thoughts on where the best places are to look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut