Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM

62 posts, read 278,601 times

Advertisements

I guess when I asked that question, I did have the house I owned in Middletown in mind. I was using that as an indicator although I know that prices and demand will be different depending on the town/city.

I bought the house about 7 years ago and sold it about 5 years ago. It has more than doubled in price. It's been on the market again for several months and I've seen the price drop about 6%. I'm watching to see what will happen and use it as sort of a barometer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:01 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplantct View Post
I guess when I asked that question, I did have the house I owned in Middletown in mind. I was using that as an indicator although I know that prices and demand will be different depending on the town/city.

I bought the house about 7 years ago and sold it about 5 years ago. It has more than doubled in price. It's been on the market again for several months and I've seen the price drop about 6%. I'm watching to see what will happen and use it as sort of a barometer.
Trans

Sorry to be so thick. It doubled from where you bought it 7 years ago? or it doubled from where you sold it 5 years ago?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. It's doubled from 7 years ago. Also, I believe it's already been sold once since my sale.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:03 PM

276 posts, read 1,459,007 times
I'm not a realtor, and don't really know much about what is driving the current market, but we attended open houses in eastern CT and there were tons of people out looking! I mean at least 5 other couples in each house that we looked at. They could be mostly tire-kickers, but there might be some legitimate buyers out there!

Also, we were planning on making an offer on a place in Guilford that went under contract before we could sell our current home in NJ. It was only on the market 6 weeks and right around the holidays at that. We thought we had more time

So hopefully thinks are looking up!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:35 PM

172 posts, read 577,835 times
Funny, you said that. I heard from a friend about a similar experience at some open houses in Hamden and Cheshire yesterday. They said there were a lot of people at the houses. I'm hoping that there are some real buyers because we're going to put our house up in Hamden next month

Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie007 View Post
Funny, you said that. I heard from a friend about a similar experience at some open houses in Hamden and Cheshire yesterday. They said there were a lot of people at the houses. I'm hoping that there are some real buyers because we're going to put our house up in Hamden next month
Buyers are out there but they're being r-e-a-l-l-y choosy. I hosted an Open House in Southington yesterday and had 9 couples come through. Another agent from my office complained that he had 0 at this Open House in Wolcott!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Hmm, is the reason people are coming out now because they think that they can get great deals due to the bubble bursting? Sometimes it seems like a lot of media hype with a little truth behind it.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM

164 posts, read 783,758 times
Just read an article in the Danbury News-Times that said housing prices in CT as a whole are dropping. The only towns holding their value (some still going up) are lower Fairfield County with a few west NH County towns. Greenwich, New Canaan, Derby, Darien, Ridgefield, Redding, Oxford are the desirable towns when it comes to homes holding their value.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
From Today's Hartford Courant

Sales of single-family houses plummeted in Greater Hartford in December, according to a report released Monday, increasing fears that a housing recession in Connecticut could deepen in 2008.

See story at Report Stirs Fears About Area's Housing Market -- Courant.com

Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
We listed our home in West Hartford in September 2006 and got an offer in November. During that time, our agent was so upset over the Hartford Courant's gloom & doom articles that she personally went to the Courant's office to speak to the columnist who wrote the article to give her the stats that she based the article on. To make the story short, the articles feed the recession IMO. Not saying that the market has not deteriorated, just that the media attention, and generalized information without market specifics, is making matters worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut