Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 AM

684 posts, read 812,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So we should take your opinion (or anyone's) over unbiased statistics?

Not sure we really have much left to discuss if you want to ignore the factual in favor of feelings.
You can put any child in any school , how well they perform is up to them and what goes on in the house. Numbers are good to know but i wouldnt say its always the answer. I have my opinions just like you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
And now both TX and OK are showing political opposition to AP History instruction.
The politicalization of the curriculum is absurd and only serves to make their students less prepared for college and more ill informed. The Texas Board of Education has over the past few years entertained such absurdities as:

• Removing Cesar Chavez from history curriculum in favor of Newt Gingrich
• Incorporating texts that said the Constitution was based on the 10 Commandments (It's not)
• Removed Thomas Jefferson's designation as an influential political thinker in favor of St. Thomas Acquinas and John Calvin
• Added Jerry Falwell and Phyllis Schlafley to the curriculum as "important conservative thinkers:
• Removed important Latinos from curriculum including Justice Sotomayor in a state that is nearly 50% Hispanic
• Rejected a proposal that students learn why the founding fathers rejected designation of a state religion in the bill of rights-- with board members discussing that establishment clause was the work of activist judges

and my personal favorite...

• Voted to rename the "trans atlantic slave trade" the "triangle trading route"

And they accuse liberals of using public schools to brainwash?

Controversial Texas textbooks headed to classrooms

Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
You can put any child in any school , how well they perform is up to them and what goes on in the house. Numbers are good to know but i wouldnt say its always the answer. I have my opinions just like you do.
I listed statistics, you respond with opinions.

And yes, it's more about the individual child than the school system-- But that's not what's being discussed here.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. UConn is one of the best public universities in the northeast, if not the country. Definitely not an easy school to get into. You need a very good GPA (minimum 3.25 depending on the quality of high school) and high SAT's (minimum 1700). Jay
I went to Boston University its ranked way higher than UCONN and everyone in my family went to Ivy League Universities, what is so good about UCONN again?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I went to Boston University its ranked way higher than UCONN and everyone in my family went to Ivy League Universities, what is so good about UCONN again?
Everyone? BU isn't Ivy League.

BU is the most expensive University in the Country.

I think UCONN is a much better value.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Everyone? BU isn't Ivy League.

BU is the most expensive University in the Country.

I think UCONN is a much better value.
I didn't say BU was an Ivy League school. Can you read? I am Jewish we tend to be dominate the Ivy League schools with the Asians and yes everyone in my family went to an Ivy League school.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I didn't say BU was an Ivy League school. Can you read? I am Jewish we tend to be dominate the Ivy League schools with the Asians and yes everyone in my family went to an Ivy League school.
Lol.

I'm Jewish too. I went to a state school. Everyone in your family includes you. You didn't go to an Ivy League school.

Jews and Asians don't "dominate" Ivy league schools-- They are overrepresented.

Last edited by JayCT; 02-19-2015 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
The politicalization of the curriculum is absurd and only serves to make their students less prepared for college and more ill informed. The Texas Board of Education has over the past few years entertained such absurdities as:

• Removing Cesar Chavez from history curriculum in favor of Newt Gingrich
• Incorporating texts that said the Constitution was based on the 10 Commandments (It's not)
• Removed Thomas Jefferson's designation as an influential political thinker in favor of St. Thomas Acquinas and John Calvin
• Added Jerry Falwell and Phyllis Schlafley to the curriculum as "important conservative thinkers:
• Removed important Latinos from curriculum including Justice Sotomayor in a state that is nearly 50% Hispanic
• Rejected a proposal that students learn why the founding fathers rejected designation of a state religion in the bill of rights-- with board members discussing that establishment clause was the work of activist judges

and my personal favorite...

• Voted to rename the "trans atlantic slave trade" the "triangle trading route"

And they accuse liberals of using public schools to brainwash?

Controversial Texas textbooks headed to classrooms
This.

Personally, I would rather deal with ultra high taxes, long winters and compact housing than have to live in an environment where people are being spoon fed this conservative NONSENSE!

Texas is also one of the remaining 13 states that haven't even legalized gay marriage yet, which is utterly pathetic for such a highly populated, high growth state. Even the large metros of Houston, Dallas and San Antonio lean conservative.

Last edited by nep321; 02-19-2015 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Lol. You must be a troll.

I'm Jewish too. I went to a state school. Everyone in your family includes you. You didn't go to an Ivy League school.

Jews and Asians don't "dominate" Ivy league schools-- They are overrepresented.
Why would I lie about being Jewish, wow people are amazing on here. I don't get this site, so many ignorant people on here. How are Jewish and Asian people over represented at Ivy League universities if they deserved to get into the university. You are something else man

Last edited by JayCT; 02-19-2015 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
HOA fees? Come on lol , i can find HOA fees in many neighborhoods in CT as well as many other states. There are many homes without HOA fees, it just depends what you move into. Well it looks like your fiend wants to be a nimby and yes you will pay for services when you live in a community like that. Thats usually normal for ANY community that has HOA fees. I personally wouldn't buy a house with HOA fees. Yeah i can see how lovely the roads are out on the NE with all of your taxes paying for.. NOT.

The taxes are lower compared to the NE and your money gets you much more in TX then the NE. Thats a fact.

Highlighted in bold is funny considering the type of cities Plano and McKinney are, i lived in Plano for about 14 years and it has come a long way. Sorry but i call the BS flag on saying the schools are poor and your friend is sending his kids to a private school. I think your friend is sending them to a private school just because of personal preference.

Anyways, i will be returning back to the NE at the end of August, and will probably reside in CT. My wife and i had a good run down here but its time for us to come home, we are not southern people and we miss all our family dearly up north. We truly miss the NE , everything that comes with it , and unfort as much as i ***** about the NE , its a price i will pay to be happy
I never said my friend lives in McKinney or Plano. Schools there are better than others but taxes are also higher. Where he lives the schools aren't that good so he sent his kids to private school.

Also more than a few people have told me that you do not want to live outside of a planned community if you want to guarantee that you have well kept homes next door and the services needed in an emergency. Planned communities have HOA's. Here in Connecticut there really are not many HOA's outside of condominiums projects. That is just the way it is here, fortunately. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut