Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

You can get a nice cape or ranch in nice urban/suburban safe parts of Stamford and Norwalk. Not gong to be the biggest house or in the more affluent sections though. Provided not travelling during rush hour, well within an hour of NYC. Schools are better than Phila.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 04:52 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes1982 View Post
Thanks. There isn't much space that we can really sacrifice. Right now we live in a basement entry 2 bedroom with a windowless den that we use as a 3rd bedroom and it is just too tight. Like I said earlier, 5 boys including an infant and an almost teenager and all the sounds and smells that come with that lol.

As for schools, when you talk about performance...how bad are we talking? We are coming from city schools where there is bad gang activity, lockdowns, violent fights, kids getting searched and going through the metal detector before class, 75% free lunch and lots of ESL kids. I'm not saying East Haven is the town for us cause of the commute but just going by demographics of the town here on city-data, it can't be that bad, or is it? We don't need A+ schools where all the kids are Harvard bound with millionaire parents, and frankly I feel like my boys might struggle in that environment because coming from the Philly school system they might be behind. When I say good schools..I mean safe, no gangs, no drug selling, not too much ESL or poverty. Just a decent middle class school where I know my kids are safe and getting a decent education and I don't have to walk my oldest home because he has gotten mugged by his classmates after school, because that's what I am dealing with now. I went to the same schools that my kids are going too but that was a different time when the surrounding areas were still nice middle class communities. I can't afford catholic/private for all of them and I want to give them at least a shot at getting an education. So keep that in mind when I say I need good schools and safe community..

Anyways, I will check out those towns you recommended to me. And also, do you think it would be cheaper/better to buy a smaller home under budget and add an addition or tear it down and build a new home?
I'm getting a better feeling for what you want, now. We're sometimes jaded on this forum because everyone posts about wanting the "best" schools. Your post is actually refreshing to read.

East Haven schools will be much better than any public schools in Philly. Generally, the suburban districts in CT are among the best in the country so a town like East Haven has a lot of competition.

More and more I think you should take a look at Milford. It's a middle class town, lots of working class neighborhoods and the schools are pretty average (not outstanding but not bad). You can get a decent little home for 400k in that town. You can definitley get more for your money in East Haven, but i don't see any reason to overlook Milford. Stratford is also a great alternative as well for you.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:55 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I wouldn't even think of East Haven as an option. It's just too far and there are other towns closer on the 95 corridor that are similarly priced and closer like Shelton, Stratford, Milford, and Orange. If buying in Milford, focus on the Foran High part of town - that high school is trending really well these days.

Given your description of your current school system, Danbury schools would be more than adequate. Bethel and New Fairfield are nice options with better schools. A 684 commute will be longer mileage wise but have much less traffic than 95/Merritt will.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:05 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Thanks. There isn't much space that we can really sacrifice. Right now we live in a basement entry 2 bedroom with a windowless den that we use as a 3rd bedroom and it is just too tight. Like I said earlier, 5 boys including an infant and an almost teenager and all the sounds and smells that come with that lol.

As for schools, when you talk about performance...how bad are we talking? We are coming from city schools where there is bad gang activity, lockdowns, violent fights, kids getting searched and going through the metal detector before class, 75% free lunch and lots of ESL kids. I'm not saying East Haven is the town for us cause of the commute but just going by demographics of the town here on city-data, it can't be that bad, or is it? We don't need A+ schools where all the kids are Harvard bound with millionaire parents, and frankly I feel like my boys might struggle in that environment because coming from the Philly school system they might be behind. When I say good schools..I mean safe, no gangs, no drug selling, not too much ESL or poverty. Just a decent middle class school where I know my kids are safe and getting a decent education and I don't have to walk my oldest home because he has gotten mugged by his classmates after school, because that's what I am dealing with now. I went to the same schools that my kids are going too but that was a different time when the surrounding areas were still nice middle class communities. I can't afford catholic/private for all of them and I want to give them at least a shot at getting an education. So keep that in mind when I say I need good schools and safe community..

Anyways, I will check out those towns you recommended to me. And also, do you think it would be cheaper/better to buy a smaller home under budget and add an addition or tear it down and build a new home?
Based on that description I honestly think Stamford, Norwalk, or Danbury might work for you. Of the three the cheapest is Danbury, the most expensive Stamford (though still cheaper than surrounding towns and closest to Riverdale), I know $400K would get what you want in Danbury, not as sure about Norwalk and fairly sure in Stamford it will still be smaller than what you want. I have worked extensively in all 3 school districts so while I can tell you that those people looking for "Harvard bound A+ schools" would have qualms about going there, it's not like (since you mentioned these places) Mt. Vernon (where I was born and raised so I know it well too), Yonkers, or inner city NYC and Philly either. Honestly, the only district in FFC that would come close to that kind of environment is Bridgeport and (since you mention East Haven which is a county over) New Haven (East Haven is more like Stamford/Norwalk/Danbury in my view). Even in New Haven I know of one neighborhood where schools are more than fine up to 8th grade.

Also I live in southern Westchester a few miles from Riverdale so with no traffic I've hit Stamford in as little as 25 minutes, Norwalk as little as 35 minutes and Danbury as little as 45 minutes (684 has a legal 65 mph speed limit and is generallly a faster road than I-95 and the Merritt). Good luck!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I wouldn't even think of East Haven as an option. It's just too far and there are other towns closer on the 95 corridor that are similarly priced and closer like Shelton, Stratford, Milford, and Orange. If buying in Milford, focus on the Foran High part of town - that high school is trending really well these days.

Given your description of your current school system, Danbury schools would be more than adequate. Bethel and New Fairfield are nice options with better schools. A 684 commute will be longer mileage wise but have much less traffic than 95/Merritt will.
Actually a 684 trip to Riverdale is about 9 miles closer to Danbury than it is to Milford.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:00 PM

60 posts, read 115,874 times
Thank you guys so much! We are seeing a lot stuff in Milford that we like. We also see some stuff in Danbury that fits our needs but it seems that Danbury is more of a small city that runs the gamut between low income and rich unlike Milford which seems to be a more solidly middle class town.

How are property taxes? The other place (besides CT) that we are seeing things that fit our needs is on the South Shore of Nassau County, NY (Levittown) so it seems as if those are going to be the two choices..

Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you guys so much! We are seeing a lot stuff in Milford that we like. We also see some stuff in Danbury that fits our needs but it seems that Danbury is more of a small city that runs the gamut between low income and rich unlike Milford which seems to be a more solidly middle class town.

How are property taxes? The other place (besides CT) that we are seeing things that fit our needs is on the South Shore of Nassau County, NY (Levittown) so it seems as if those are going to be the two choices..
A quick look at the income distribution of both towns shows they are actually pretty similar. Both have a few low income areas, both have a huge middle class presence and both have a small amount of affluence in areas.

You'll want to avoid Long Island for many, many reasons.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:19 PM

60 posts, read 115,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A quick look at the income distribution of both towns shows they are actually pretty similar. Both have a few low income areas, both have a huge middle class presence and both have a small amount of affluence in areas.

You'll want to avoid Long Island for many, many reasons.
I have heard mixed things about Long Island. We are attracted to the good transit and beaches and family friendliness but I have heard lots of bad things as well. Why do you recommend we stay away from LI? If you don't feel comfortable saying so on the forum please message me.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I have to agree with the others. You would be better off looking in the Danbury area. Bethel would be a good choice. The schools are good. The town is nice and you would be an hour from Riverdale. You can get a nice home for your price there.

East Haven would not be an hour from Riverdale. The schools there are not the best. It is not a bad town but I am not sure it meets the criteria you stated. If you are considering the New Haven area then you might want to consider a couple of other towns in that area but you would still be more than an hour from Riverdale. Jay.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
There are a lot of nice, solidly middle class towns on Long Island that could work (ie Huntington, Melville, Syosset) but it's not that convenient to Riverdale. LI is a better option for people needing easy access to Queens or Brooklyn. With LIE traffic, you can get really stuck out there, and when you go over the bridge, you're on the wrong side of Bronx. Plus, the taxes are also very high.

Stamford would be a really easy trip to Riverdale (like 30 min), has a lot of express trains to NYC, schools are not bad, and it's a small city. It would be a stretch on your budget, but you can find some modest, smaller homes in the 4's. Speaking from experience, Danbury is a haul to the Bronx (1hr 15m approx) and not something I'd want to do regularly.

Northern Westchester is def worth looking at - it's more rural than what you're used to, but you can get more for your money there, and its an easy shot down to Riverdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut