Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Check this out.

Malloy transportation panel recommends gas tax hike, tolls | HartfordBusiness.com

Transportation committee is suggesting tolls, raising the gas tax AND sales tax. Along with mileage based tax system (pilot program for now).

All these leads to $66b. Still a ways to go.
Mileage based tax is just ridiculous. I'm for the increase of the sales tax and gas tax. I'd only be for the toll system unless CT residents are exempt. Having one of the highest gas tax, a car tax, and tolls is pretty crazy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:56 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I am cool with the state raising sales tax and adding tolls. However, if they do that want the statw to eliminate state income tax and taxes on cars or cap car taxes at 25%. Other then that no go nor taking funding from other programs.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:40 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am cool with the state raising sales tax and adding tolls. However, if they do that want the statw to eliminate state income tax and taxes on cars or cap car taxes at 25%. Other then that no go nor taking funding from other programs.
There was a poll on one of the major news/networks. I believe it was WFSB or NBC Connecticut. It was poll on if you agree with the tax increase and tolls. The options were 1. Raise Sales Tax, 2. Raise Gas Tax, 3. Raise Sales and Gas Tax, and 4. Take Funds from other programs. Nearly 95% were for the 4th option...

Old 01-17-2016, 10:37 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Route 2/I-84 interchange construction to affect traffic for months

Old 01-17-2016, 10:51 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Agreed. the car taxes are ludicrous. My new car will cost 800 this year. will probably be close to that next year. Then 750.. then 700. 675.650.600.500.450.....This means for year 1 and 2, Im basically making an extra 3 car payments. Then 2.5, 2ish, 2, ....My car will be long paid for before my taxes are even at the amount of my monthly payments. This all assumes @ current mill rate. Not that I will be here for many more of them, but it's just wrong. Add the 2k in sales tax I already paid on it. In 10 years I'll have paid another 8-9 large for my jeep. When I move I could get a complementary upgrade to the Rubicon model for that.

Income tax will never go away in CT. Is there ANY precedent for a state implementing and then removing an income tax? Im not sure, I doubt it and CT will not be the first if it were ever to happen. TN on the other hand changed the state constitution to prevent an income tax from ever being enacted. Just in case some liberal yahoo down the road gets any ideas. They're removing their Hall tax (on dividends and interest investments) and eliminating what little death tax law exists. It can be done, but not here.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:18 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Mileage based tax is just ridiculous. I'm for the increase of the sales tax and gas tax. I'd only be for the toll system unless CT residents are exempt. Having one of the highest gas tax, a car tax, and tolls is pretty crazy...
Tolls would only be implemented on highways that need major widening or reconstruction. That is I-95 from New Haven to New York and I-84 from Hartford to Danbury. Of course that could change. The money needs to come from somewhere otherwise our highways will just continue to be patched together as they are now. Jay

Old 01-18-2016, 02:35 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Tolls would only be implemented on highways that need major widening or reconstruction. That is I-95 from New Haven to New York and I-84 from Hartford to Danbury. Of course that could change. The money needs to come from somewhere otherwise our highways will just continue to be patched together as they are now. Jay
The money is there we just seem to spend it elsewhere. We have the second highest gas tax in the nation, and If necessary, can direct a portion of the car property tax to infrastructure at the regional and or state level. We just lost GE, the corporate representation to higher taxes, I cannot wrap my head around why the state immediately got back to work on alienating more citizens and corps with even more taxation. It's truly maddening.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
The money is there we just seem to spend it elsewhere. We have the second highest gas tax in the nation, and If necessary, can direct a portion of the car property tax to infrastructure at the regional and or state level. We just lost GE, the corporate representation to higher taxes, I cannot wrap my head around why the state immediately got back to work on alienating more citizens and corps with even more taxation. It's truly maddening.
Very creative folks we have running the state. Real outside the box thinkers...

If all I did at work was tell my boss I can't accomplish what she wants me to do unless she asks the CEO to take more money from shareholders, I would've been fired on spot. Imagine if I also caused our highest performing sales rep to leave our company for regional competitor on top of it. Oh and I just walk around pick pocketing people twice a year because "they exist at our facility". See how stupid it sounds when you apply government work ethic and methods in private sector? What's even crazier is people actually vote FOR it. Mind numbing.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 01-18-2016 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Connecticut spending on transportation in 2015 was $2.7 billion. That includes all transportation spending such as highways & mass transit. Increasing the width of I-84 for a few miles in Waterbury has cost $400 million so far. The cost to make a serious adjustment to miles of I-95 in the FFC area is not going to come from the existing budget. Without taxes or tolls cuts would have to be made. Pensions are pretty much untouchable so take your pick - education, healthcare, welfare, or all three?

Quote:
Also, there's the not-insignificant question of whether widening I-95 would actually reduce congestion. There's a theory in transportation that if you widen a highway and make it less congested, people who didn't use it before will begin using it. It becomes congested again.
Widening I-95 is not the way to go. - Hartford Courant

Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I have to strongly disagree with the Hartford Courant on this. I-95 was designed and built more than 60 years ago. It was a significantly different era with significantly less traffic and yet I-95 is virtually unchanged since then. To ignore its problems and just say "it can't be fixed" is wrong and an injustice to the people who live in the towns along the corridor as well as to the traveling public in general. The state has invested heavily in mass transit in the area over the past several decades and that still has not corrected the problems of congestion and poor antiquated roadway design. If our attitude remains that it can't be fixed, our state truly will become an "economic cul-de-sac" feared more than 20 years ago. A well balanced transportation plan which includes modern highways and mass transit go a long way to preventing this from occurring. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut