Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 AM

712 posts, read 530,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Wouldn't mind a 20 to 30 cent per mile toll in CT if they did away with Gas, Sales, and Estate Tax
So increase taxes on low wage workers by jacking their wallet at 30 cents a mile while doing away with an estate tax Planning on getting money from mom soon?

Remember when everyone was going nuts about gas prices and repubs were blaming dems and talking about running and newt gingrich was trying to use a campaign slogan of 3.50 gas back when it was near 5 bucks a gallon? Now people want it to cost more to drive. Tolls have the same effect as a huge rise in raise gas prices since it ends up costing a fortune to drive per mile. So dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:43 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
They're also being sued by several trucking companies who says the tolls are unconstitutional.
Trucking industry, Cumberland Farms sue R.I. to stop tolls - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
Just saw that Rhode Island took in more than expected from their new truck tolls. This is money (about $7.5 million) Connecticut is losing out on because of the poor shortsighted leadership we have here. Jay

DOT says first month of R.I. truck tolling: $625,989 - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
So increase taxes on low wage workers by jacking their wallet at 30 cents a mile while doing away with an estate tax Planning on getting money from mom soon?

I laughed.

Up-thread, I suggested means testing the tolls. The state has tax returns for everyone. The state knows where everyone works. Means test lower income people when they're commuting. Same for car pooling. 4 per car? It's free.

As for 30 cents per mile, I'd happily pay that as a congestion tolling rate to get some of the cars off the road at rush hour.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:

Remember when everyone was going nuts about gas prices and repubs were blaming dems and talking about running and newt gingrich was trying to use a campaign slogan of 3.50 gas back when it was near 5 bucks a gallon? Now people want it to cost more to drive. Tolls have the same effect as a huge rise in raise gas prices since it ends up costing a fortune to drive per mile. So dumb.
Without increasing income tax lol ne great. 30 cent tax per the 500 a week would cost me as much as I pay yearly on income tax.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:29 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Just saw that Rhode Island took in more than expected from their new truck tolls. This is money (about $7.5 million) Connecticut is losing out on because of the poor shortsighted leadership we have here. Jay

DOT says first month of R.I. truck tolling: $625,989 - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

That article was very short on details, plus they only have data for one month ? The truckers are going to figure out how to go around those tolls (unless its a bridge) and RI revenue is going to drop hard. The article said they plan to install 10 more gantries ? Maybe that's 5 in each direction? I'm surprised RI has that much space to install 10 gantries. How hard would it be to take RT 6 into CT instead ?

Also, despite what the RI Govt thinks the truckers aren't paying those tolls. The end user is paying those tolls in increased load fees. I wouldn't be surprised if some trucking companies are actually placing tolls as a line item on the manifests/bills.

Doesn't RI Governor Raimondo have a BA in economics from Harvard ? One would think she learned something while there.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That article was very short on details, plus they only have data for one month ? The truckers are going to figure out how to go around those tolls (unless its a bridge) and RI revenue is going to drop hard. The article said they plan to install 10 more gantries ? Maybe that's 5 in each direction? I'm surprised RI has that much space to install 10 gantries. How hard would it be to take RT 6 into CT instead ?

Also, despite what the RI Govt thinks the truckers aren't paying those tolls. The end user is paying those tolls in increased load fees. I wouldn't be surprised if some trucking companies are actually placing tolls as a line item on the manifests/bills.

Doesn't RI Governor Raimondo have a BA in economics from Harvard ? One would think she learned something while there.
I believe the reason for 11 gantries is to try and avoid looping around 1 or 2. Seems like it would move lots more trucks onto 84 and some back roads like 6 an 100.

There is a shipping port in RI used to import cars I bet that toll makes that port operator real nervous.

I'm interested to see how this plays out in the courts. They picked out certain trucks which might be an issue. If they had done it by GVW or something it seems more likely to claim it's based on road wear and tear. So we know tolls aren't a block to interstate commerce because they apply to everyone but this targets one kind of truck interesting to see how that goes.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I believe the reason for 11 gantries is to try and avoid looping around 1 or 2. Seems like it would move lots more trucks onto 84 and some back roads like 6 an 100.

There is a shipping port in RI used to import cars I bet that toll makes that port operator real nervous.

I'm interested to see how this plays out in the courts. They picked out certain trucks which might be an issue. If they had done it by GVW or something it seems more likely to claim it's based on road wear and tear. So we know tolls aren't a block to interstate commerce because they apply to everyone but this targets one kind of truck interesting to see how that goes.
Most of the cars get to Quonset by train. It’s the “port” for Subaru. Those come from Indiana. The VWs come from Mexico by train.

Relative to fuel and labor, tolls are a pretty small cost.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:50 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Getting around the toll on the local road really wouldn't be worth the aggravation especially since the toll only applies to Class 8 and above trucks and the toll is charged only once in each direction on a daily basis.

And yes, the ultimate payer of the toll is the consumer but trucking companies have been adding a "temporary" fuel surcharge onto their shipping charges for years.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM

712 posts, read 530,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Getting around the toll on the local road really wouldn't be worth the aggravation especially since the toll only applies to Class 8 and above trucks and the toll is charged only once in each direction on a daily basis.

And yes, the ultimate payer of the toll is the consumer but trucking companies have been adding a "temporary" fuel surcharge onto their shipping charges for years.
Truckers get paid per mile and look at the gas mileage they get. It's gallons per mile, not miles per gallon. lol No way any of them are going around those tolls. I agree. Not worth it

Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Truckers get paid per mile and look at the gas mileage they get. It's gallons per mile, not miles per gallon. lol No way any of them are going around those tolls. I agree. Not worth it
Exactly. Trucks do the most damage to a highway and bridge which is why RI has decided to toll them. This is a "pilot" project which means it is a possible showcase for future tolling in other states. Will see if it works fully as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The reason there is only data for one month is that the tolling just started. It is the first month of operation. Of course RI has room for 10 gantries. It is a small state but I-95 bisects it diagonally and there is also I-295, I-195, Route 6 and Route 10 as major highways. Also, have you ever been on the non-expressway section of Route 6? It is not a pleasant road for truckers so I doubt they would even consider using it to save a couple of bucks. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut