Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 02:30 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What I’m saying is what I posted earlier:

Nobody said they weren’t looking at tolls, but if you dig a bit deeper, you’ll see much of them are toll lanes or on rural stretches used mostly by pass through motorists. While a toll is a toll, the effect on residents will be very different than in CT.

That organization above wouldn’t exist if there weren’t tolls, so of course what they present should be considered carefully.
And as I posted Oregon is moving forward with tolling I-5 and I-205 which are existing highways. Jay

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...n-to-feds.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You pay no more or less Federal gas tax than Connecticut residents do yet we pay tolls on your and other state’s roads. Out of state residents however only pay for the roads if they buy gas and that is statistically not many. How is that fair? Jay

This is one of the biggest issues. The state is trying to sell the idea of tolls as a way to soak out of state drivers. Their estimates have been 30-40% of revenue from out of staters. That still means CT residents are paying 60-70% of the tolls and that is the majority. It doesn't make sense to tax 2/3 of the CT driving population so we can tax 1/3 of the non CT driving population.

CT residents will always be paying the majority of the tolls. The state has also not released any data regarding how they calculated the out of state toll collection percentage.

There's also no reason that out of state residents can not just get a CT EZ pass and receive all the CT toll discounts. That's what I do with NY EZ pass. To cross the Whitestone bridge its $6.12 with EZ pass, cash or non NY EZ pass pay $9.50.

This article highlights some of the differences.

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...ey/3368189002/

Old 05-17-2019, 03:20 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
To me, there is a huge difference in adding tolls to limited stretches of two existing highways in Oregon and adding tolls to the entire length of all the major highways in Connecticut. Night and day difference in the impact it will have on each state’s residents.

Quote:
And as I posted Oregon is moving forward with tolling I-5 and I-205 which are existing highways. Jay

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...n-to-feds.html

Old 05-17-2019, 04:46 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
To me, there is a huge difference in adding tolls to limited stretches of two existing highways in Oregon and adding tolls to the entire length of all the major highways in Connecticut. Night and day difference in the impact it will have on each state’s residents.
I very much agree.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Same here. So many tolls. In MA there are tolls on the Mass Pike and that's it.

The major highway in MA is rte 128, which is a nightmare of traffic. But there are no tolls. You don't have to put tolls on everything. I know I would want tolls on I-84 because I always used to see the tie up of NY cars on the Mass Pike waiting to get onto I-84 and cruise through CT for absolutely free.

And why do the state workers have to be such a drag on the state's finances? Someone mentioned it but I don't know if their pay is out of line and why it would have to be. Or is it their pensions? Who gave them pensions that we can't afford to pay anyway?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:39 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Same here. So many tolls. In MA there are tolls on the Mass Pike and that's it.

The major highway in MA is rte 128, which is a nightmare of traffic. But there are no tolls. You don't have to put tolls on everything. I know I would want tolls on I-84 because I always used to see the tie up of NY cars on the Mass Pike waiting to get onto I-84 and cruise through CT for absolutely free.

And why do the state workers have to be such a drag on the state's finances? Someone mentioned it but I don't know if their pay is out of line and why it would have to be. Or is it their pensions? Who gave them pensions that we can't afford to pay anyway?
Tolls on I-95 from NY border to New Haven. Tolls on I-91 to Hartford. Tolls on I-84 from Hartford to Massachusetts. 1 gantry every 2 exits.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 AM

Some details of the Democrats plan for tolling have been released. It includes installing no more than 50 toll gantries on I-95, I-91, I-84 and portions of Route 15 at a peak rate of 4.4 cents per mile and an off peak rate of 3.5 cents. It also establishes a bipartisan Transportation Commission to administer the funds and set priorities much like the Transportation Strategy Commission used to do before it was eliminated. The most interesting part of their plan is to lower the gas tax. That actually could lower what some drivers in our state pay for transportation. I like a lot of this. Will see if the Legislature does too. Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/local/ctpo...x-13854535.php

Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
If the Democrats truly believe in the value of tolls why is Governor Lamont having to throw out pork projects for them to support his plan?

Quote:
Some details of the Democrats plan for tolling have been released. It includes installing no more than 50 toll gantries on I-95, I-91, I-84 and portions of Route 15 at a peak rate of 4.4 cents per mile and an off peak rate of 3.5 cents. It also establishes a bipartisan Transportation Commission to administer the funds and set priorities much like the Transportation Strategy Commission used to do before it was eliminated. The most interesting part of their plan is to lower the gas tax. That actually could lower what some drivers in our state pay for transportation. I like a lot of this. Will see if the Legislature does too. Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/local/ctpo...x-13854535.php

Old 05-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
If the Democrats truly believe in the value of tolls why is Governor Lamont having to throw out pork projects for them to support his plan?
Its politics. Nobody is saying this is a popular idea so of course there are reservations. Since NO one has come up with a viable alternative to tolls to fund our transportation system, this is the best option. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the state and not what is most popular. Jay

Old 05-18-2019, 11:35 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
Quote:
Its politics. Nobody is saying this is a popular idea so of course there are reservations. Since NO one has come up with a viable alternative to tolls to fund our transportation system, this is the best option. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the state and not what is most popular. Jay
Think the 3 biggest reason for the push against tolls is:

1.) How will they fund the installation of tolls.

2.) How can we trust the funds collected from tolls will go towards infrastructure and improvement of the State's public transportation.

3.) Why toll every highway. While some States only have one highway with tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut