Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
What is the "greater good"???

The bottom line is that people like you will vote for spending as long as you aren't the one paying for it.

What's 4.3 Billion anyway if it goes to the greater good! As god is my witness I can't fathom what I hear on this site from posters.
This is a typical "bean counter" .mentality. Shortsighted and narrow minded. Everything is strictly based on saving a penny or two. With that type of thinking, our interstate highway system would never have been built. A lot of people have been hurt or died on that stretch of highway. A lot also live near it and are indirectly affected by pollution from the cars and trucks that sit on the highway each day. Each years thousands of gallons of gas are wasted by vehicles sitting in traffic. Plus it is ugly to look at. The money for it will come from tax dollars we all pay on our gas so why not rebuild it. This is long overdue and well worth the state figuring out how to pay for it. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 04:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is a typical "bean counter" .mentality. Shortsighted and narrow minded. Everything is strictly based on saving a penny or two. With that type of thinking, our interstate highway system would never have been built. A lot of people have been hurt or died on that stretch of highway. A lot also live near it and are indirectly affected by pollution from the cars and trucks that sit on the highway each day. Each years thousands of gallons of gas are wasted by vehicles sitting in traffic. Plus it is ugly to look at. The money for it will come from tax dollars we all pay on our gas so why not rebuild it. This is long overdue and well worth the state figuring out how to pay for it. Jay
Maybe an interesting question: why did they do it the way it was done in the first place? Were they stupid, or was it intentional, to separate parts of the city that seemed to need separation?

Added: where did anybody ever get the idea that left side exits were a good highway design?

Old 06-19-2016, 05:28 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Maybe an interesting question: why did they do it the way it was done in the first place? Were they stupid, or was it intentional, to separate parts of the city that seemed to need separation?

Added: where did anybody ever get the idea that left side exits were a good highway design?
Right on! I've lived here for 9 years, and still feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when I take Exit 43 (left) onto Trout Brook from I-84 eastbound.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:33 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
This is a typical "bean counter" .mentality. Jay
Maybe so Jay but it's not a bad mentality to have, when you're talking about taxpayer (yours & my) money. This whole I-84 project seems like a perpetuation of a bad design from decades ago, when a bypass should have been built around Hartford instead. It's prudent to not throw good money after bad, especially given the dire fiscal straits CT is in. I understand the safety concerns...I personally try and avoid that stretch of I-84 by getting on at Broad St...but we do need the best return on investment.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post

The designers in the 50's and 60's wouldn't have dreamed the amount of traffic highways get nowadays. Interestingly enough, urban planners didn't design these highways. Rumor has it that people within the auto industry did. The reason why they made so many left lane exits is because they don't have the room for a right lane exit. For the Trout Brook exit in West Hartford it's the only option. Trout Brook Dr and Overbrook Rd are within feet from the highway. Building a off ramp from the right and then build a bridge going OVER the highway to Trout Brook is going to cause more stress with builders than the quick alternative left lane exit.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:06 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,237 times
Quote:
Wow well Jay its great we have people like you who don't have the "bean counter" mentality. Based on your expert calculation the gas wasted sitting in traffic and the extra pollution justify a 4.5 Billion dollar project.

I can't figure out if you are serious or joking? Good god CT is doomed

Old 06-19-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Wow well Jay its great we have people like you who don't have the "bean counter" mentality. Based on your expert calculation the gas wasted sitting in traffic and the extra pollution justify a 4.5 Billion dollar project.

I can't figure out if you are serious or joking? Good god CT is doomed
I am not joking and I did not say it was the only reason. Add to it the loss of lives, the injuries, the property damages that thousand suffer each year plus the fact that we are spending millions to keep repairing the bridge and it is kind of a no brainier to someone who thinks beyond the "beans". Heck to me the lives and injuries are worth the cost but you see I value people more than a few pennies. Jay

Old 06-19-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
The designers in the 50's and 60's wouldn't have dreamed the amount of traffic highways get nowadays. Interestingly enough, urban planners didn't design these highways. Rumor has it that people within the auto industry did. The reason why they made so many left lane exits is because they don't have the room for a right lane exit. For the Trout Brook exit in West Hartford it's the only option. Trout Brook Dr and Overbrook Rd are within feet from the highway. Building a off ramp from the right and then build a bridge going OVER the highway to Trout Brook is going to cause more stress with builders than the quick alternative left lane exit.
This is correct. It was built in a completely different time when highway standards were different. A lot has been learned over the past 60 years.

The route of the highway was set to follow the path of least resistance. If you look it more or less parallels the rail tracks where it would have the last impact on neighborhoods. It goes over the tracks to allow better access for large trucks on each side which was less expensive and easier than raising rail lines for truck clearances.

As for why I-84 was built through downtown rather than around it, without good access between downtown and the suburbs, planners feared businesses would leave the city core which is what was beginning to happen in the late 50's. Connecticut General Insurance had built its stunning Bloomfield campus that was the model of the future. By building I-84 and Constitution Plaza, major companies could have modern offices and their employees could commute into the city easily from the desirable suburbs. It also made it easy for shoppers to get to the venerable G. Fox Department Store as its then owner, the powerful Beatrice Auerback demanded. It also conveniently allowed the state to use the Bulkeley Bridge as a river crossing for the new highway and avoiding Riverside park to the north. Jay

Old 06-19-2016, 09:20 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,237 times
Quote:
I am not joking and I did not say it was the only reason. Add to it the loss of lives, the injuries, the property damages that thousand suffer each year plus the fact that we are spending millions to keep repairing the bridge and it is kind of a no brainier to someone who thinks beyond the "beans". Heck to me the lives and injuries are worth the cost but you see I value people more than a few pennies. Jay
and this is worth 4.5 Billion dollars?

Old 06-20-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
and this is worth 4.5 Billion dollars?
Simply, YES! Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut