Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:59 PM

107 posts, read 120,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
It only takes about 15 minutes to get to the Norwalk/Wilton exit from Trumbull if you leave between 5:00 am or 7:00 am.

I just want to say one thing. Beware of people telling you that the commute would be drastically different from Wilton. It won't be drastically different, maybe about 15 minutes difference if you leave at 7:00 or before.

BTW, depending on where you live in Wilton, Route 7 and most roads that lead to the Parkway are worse than the Parkway.
I am currently in the NYC area. Checking out Wectchester Co. tomorrow, CT Saturday, and NJ Sun morning before I fly back home. I am MUCH more interested in Ridgefield as one of my husbands colleagues lives there and said the commute to Queens isn't that bad. He moved form the Denver area and said it takes him from 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hour each way. If we like it there my hubby would stay there for a week and commute to get an idea of what he's in for. I've pretty much ruled out NJ due to experiencing the INCREDIBLE traffic in Queens and the Bronx today. Saw a sign that said it would take 70 minutes to get to the GWB!! I've been in traffic jams before but they usually end after about 20 minutes. Today was one big never-ending 3 hour traffic jam! Of course my phone died and I had no map so I got lost in Queens LOL. The people were really nice helping me find my way to the expressway going north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 PM

107 posts, read 120,461 times
Quote:
My friend used to live in Ridgefield. She would come down to the more northern part of Stamford to work and her husband had his own business and he flew out of the NYC airports frequently. The traffic was so bad coming down from Ridgefield they finally moved to New Canaan a few years back despite the very high cost of the homes there. Their quality of life was suffering because of their commutes.

I myself lived in Stamford when she lived in Ridgefield and I hated going up there (even though she is a very good friend) even in non-rush hour traffic because it felt like it took soooo loooong. I like Ridgefield itself, just not the ride up there.
Hubby said he would go west into NY then south into the city? Don't know if that is what people typically do

Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:

I just want to say one thing. Beware of people telling you that the commute would be drastically different from Wilton. It won't be drastically different, maybe about 15 minutes difference if you leave at 7:00 or before.
Leaving before 7, maybe it's a 15 min difference, but afternoons? Yeah, OK.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times
I agree with earlier posts that the North Shore of Long Island is a lovely area. WAY different feel than south and mid-island towns. Commute into Queens though will be rough. Not as rough though from SW CT though.. Bonus = no tolls/no bridge. You don't seem to be a fan of LI though, and while I can't say I blame you on that point, definitely do check out East Norwich before you write off the Island entirely - E.N. = great town, great schools, right next to quaint Cold Spring Harbor, lots of shopping/dining options nearby, and freakishly low taxes by LI standards.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:02 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Either town can be hugely disparate relative to the Trumbulls of the world for afternoon commutes from points south simply because you aren't limited to 95 and the Merritt. I fly in regularly to LGA late Friday afternoon and outside of inclement weather I am generally home in just over an hour. However I take 684 to Route 35 and completely avoid the gridlock of the ct shoteline. This generally isn't necessary in the morning since I jump on the Merritt after exit 36 and all the traffic is behind me.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Either town can be hugely disparate relative to the Trumbulls and Dariens of the world for afternoon commutes from points south simply because you aren't limited to 95 and the Merritt. I fly in regularly to LGA late Friday afternoon and outside of inclement weather I am generally home in just over an hour. However I take 684 to Route 35 and completely avoid the gridlock of the ct shoteline. This generally isn't necessary in the morning since I jump on the Merritt after exit 36 and all the traffic is behind me.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:05 AM

34,946 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
I am currently in the NYC area. Checking out Wectchester Co. tomorrow, CT Saturday, and NJ Sun morning before I fly back home. I am MUCH more interested in Ridgefield as one of my husbands colleagues lives there and said the commute to Queens isn't that bad. He moved form the Denver area and said it takes him from 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hour each way. If we like it there my hubby would stay there for a week and commute to get an idea of what he's in for. I've pretty much ruled out NJ due to experiencing the INCREDIBLE traffic in Queens and the Bronx today. Saw a sign that said it would take 70 minutes to get to the GWB!! I've been in traffic jams before but they usually end after about 20 minutes. Today was one big never-ending 3 hour traffic jam! Of course my phone died and I had no map so I got lost in Queens LOL. The people were really nice helping me find my way to the expressway going north
I would not even bother with New Jersey for a commute to LaGuardia. That means your husband would have to commute across Manhattan which is the absolute worst way. Stick to Long Island, Westchester or Connecticut. I think you will like Ridgefield. It is a beautiful town with excellent schools and a great place to raise a family. If your husband can share the commute with a coworker, then maybe it will be a bit better but still it is going to be tough. Jay

Old 06-15-2015, 01:54 PM

174 posts, read 257,832 times
Commuted from Ridgefield to Stamford for 10 years. Took route 123 and then route 106 (in Stamford). Sometimes took Route 35 to Route 124 (to High Ridge Road area of Stamford). Never had to take Merritt Parkway or I95 which was a blessing. Couldn't anyway since neither is anywhere near Ridgefield. Left at 6:30 a.m. or 7:00a.m. to avoid traffic on Route 123 (one lane and passing allowed only at certain spots). Commute was 30 minutes. A "snow-commute" could be 1 1/2 hours. Once or twice during those 10 years, the "snow-commute" was 2 hours, only because of one lane "crawling along". If going to the Greenwich side of Stamford, you could add another 10 or 15 minutes making it 40 - 45 minutes depending on the traffic. But for the area in Stamford that I was driving to (Springdale), for the most part, 30 minutes was a decent commute with just a few traffic lights in Ridgefield, New Canaan, Stamford. Sorry, can't help you with traffic pattern beyond Stamford.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Categorically false. Route 7 moves pretty well all the time. Can get a little slow in the single lane portion through ridge field/redding but never is bright red on the map. Route 7 from Norway to Danbury is smooth sailing relative to 95/15.
Did you mean Norwalk?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Did you mean Norwalk?
Nope--- Rt 7 is also traffic free in Norway.

Driving from Oslo to Bergen - RV7 Hardangervidda - Bergen Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut