Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
One word: Legacy.
There's some of that.

Staples has been sending a good number of kids to the Ivy's and other top tier schools for decades. In my experience, every one of the kids who goes to one of these schools is academically qualified. It does help that the Universities know the reputation of Staples well and know the kids who come from there have received an excellent education.

Speaking of Syracuse, Andrew Marchand who covers the Yankees for ESPN is a Staples Grad who went to Syracuse. We've got an excellent tradition of graduating sports reports-- John Stashower (ESPN/NBC formerly WFAN) went to Staples and Syracuse too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:19 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
We've got an excellent tradition of graduating sports reports-- John Stashower (ESPN/NBC formerly WFAN) went to Staples and Syracuse too.
We? You live in westport?….

Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
We? You live in westport?….
Staples class of 1992. I've lived in Westport 3 times, but very recently moved to the lower Ct River Valley/Eastern Coast area.

M

Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I agree 100% - the NJ schools in the top 10 are all magnet schools where students need to test to get into the school. Only 1 magnet school in CT made the list - the Int'l Baccalaureate school in East Hartford.
Yep. Another way is to basically just have a school be magnet by default by being in an area that is wealthy with few if any in poverty. The schools that made the list in my area are no better in preparing the kids than the others it's just more affluent.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Newsweek has come out with their annual list of the top 500 high schools in the country. 15 schools from Connecticut made the list, led by Weston HS at #47. Pretty good overall in that we have about 1% of the country’s population, but 3% of the top high schools.

However, some odd omissions and inclusions on the list. East Granby, Haddam-Killingworth and South Windsor made the cut. But, New Canaan, Greenwich, Darien and Wilton were NOT on the list from Fairfield County, and neither were Trumbull, either high school in Fairfield, Masuk in Monroe, Joel Barlow for Easton/Redding, while elsewhere Guilford, Avon, Glastonbury, East Lyme, EO Smith in Storrs and a few other notables were also missing.

Entire list at the link – several magnet schools from NJ were in the top 10.

http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools...h-schools-2015
zzz..another useless freakin list. Waste of time.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvs2393 View Post
That's what I noticed also. Can't figure out why.

First expand the list so that you can see all 500 schools and then just click on the header of the column. All headers are clickable so that you can sort either ascending or descending for all criteria.
You can also use CT in search if you want to see only the Connecticut schiols.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 AM

68 posts, read 81,486 times
Many top schools in SF Bay (CA) were missing as well. This report is a bit different than the one that US News puts out, and I wish you could filter out magnet/charter

Old 08-21-2015, 07:50 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Scarsdale Sr High School in Scarsdale, NY has long been regarded as one of the top 5/10 high schools in the country. I've seen lists where they are as high as #2. Yet, they are nowhere to be found in the top 500.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:11 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. Another way is to basically just have a school be magnet by default by being in an area that is wealthy with few if any in poverty. The schools that made the list in my area are no better in preparing the kids than the others it's just more affluent.
I disagree with that, and studies have shown it to be true.

A more affluent town/school will likely offer a greater number of advanced and/or AP classes, have a better student/teacher ratio, a better ratio of computers to students, and also be much less likely to have violent incidents on school grounds. And, yes, students are often segregated by ability within the schools, so the advanced students are with other advanced students, but that is not always 100% and it's often not for every class (gym/phys ed, "life skills", music, arts, etc)

That's not to say you can't get an excellent education in a poor or lower middle class town, but you may have fewer options for your studies there. Example: I knew two young men in a small middle class town that had basically finished the high school's advanced math curriculum by the end of their junior year. The school gave them the option to go to a local community college to take the next level in math, but that class was in the evenings. One of the young men, though, was also the starting point guard on a team that was a runner up for the state championship the year before and this class would mean he would not be able to play basketball. If the class was available to him during school, he would not have had to make this choice. He chose to play basketball. Then, when he got to college as an engineering major, he found himself at least a year behind in math and a semester behind in science most of the other students in his major. So, he ended up getting frustrated at being so far behind and switched majors.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:36 PM

174 posts, read 124,497 times
These lists drive me nuts for many reasons. But after reading the comments here about judging a school by how many go Ivy League or top 500, it amazes me that people don't realize that a student in Bridgeport may be Ivy League material but doesn't have the funds to go to an expensive place. That same scenario can easily happen in Seymour or Shelton.

Or maybe someone wants to major in education or social work. Why blow money on a $40,000/year private school when Southern CT State Univ has well regarded programs in those fields for less than half the cost of tuition and the starting salaries in either field aren't anywhere near six figures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut