Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want To Win?
Donald Trump 44 45.83%
Jeb Bush 1 1.04%
Scott Walker 1 1.04%
Mike Huckabee 0 0%
Ben Carson 1 1.04%
Ted Cruz 8 8.33%
Marco Rubio 13 13.54%
Rand Paul 4 4.17%
Chris Christie 5 5.21%
John Kasich 5 5.21%
Other 14 14.58%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:32 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Why are you hating on him anyway? He's not advocating that YOU pay higher taxes. What he's talking about only involves people in his "community" of wealth. Let's be real... you and I are never going to get there, if we haven't yet. So why would we be in a better position to dictate what's best or fair for them.
Issue is not simply that he is advocating higher taxes for the rich, but that his advocating for higher taxes.

Let go through the grinder again:

Policitians vote for more taxes. Taxpayer money goes to an already-fat and bloated Federal Govt. Politicians launder the money through the Govt bowls, and diarrhea it out towards whoever is selling his/her vote.

Look at the evidence -- poor are not getting any less poor, middle class are actually getting poorer. The only people who win by this increasingly out-of-control Govt are the rich and politicians themselves. Funny how it works, when all claim to have the interest of the middle class in their hearts.

In the name of the people, impoverish the people. It never fails to trick many gullible either.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Issue is not simply that he is advocating higher taxes for the rich, but that his advocating for higher taxes.

Let go through the grinder again:

Policitians vote for more taxes. Taxpayer money goes to an already-fat and bloated Federal Govt. Politicians launder the money through the Govt bowls, and diarrhea it out towards whoever is selling his/her vote.

Look at the evidence -- poor are not getting any less poor, middle class are actually getting poorer. The only people who win by this increasingly out-of-control Govt are the rich and politicians themselves. Funny how it works, when all claim to have the interest of the middle class in their hearts.

In the name of the people, impoverish the people. It never fails to trick many gullible either.
Sure, then just lower taxes on everyone but the very wealthy... that would work for me too. My point isn't to raise taxes just to raise them, but equalize them because I don't think the playing field is even. And I believe that's what people like, yes, Trump, has said too - it's not that you want to tax people more because you can but that you want to level the field. Personally, I am for a flat tax on everyone over the poverty line and do away with deductions aside from those that encourage productive behaviors (like mortgage interest) so we don't get into lowering or raising taxes based on income.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Sure, then just lower taxes on everyone but the very wealthy... that would work for me too. My point isn't to raise taxes just to raise them, but equalize them because I don't think the playing field is even. And I believe that's what people like, yes, Trump, has said too - it's not that you want to tax people more because you can but that you want to level the field. Personally, I am for a flat tax on everyone over the poverty line and do away with deductions aside from those that encourage productive behaviors (like mortgage interest) so we don't get into lowering or raising taxes based on income.
I disagree - playing "god" is a major source of politicians' power. We need to get the politicians out of the business of picking and choosing whom to tax to death or not.

So absolutely a flat tax, and for everyone, including and particular the poor, so when the poor decide to raise the taxes, they raise taxes on themselves too.

No more -- "I don't give a ****, I will vote to raise just on you, so why do I care?! So tax you, get your money and Govt gives it to me."

This is a corrupt behavior, and collusion.

Same for middle-income earner and the rich.

Last edited by Henry10; 01-08-2016 at 05:02 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 04:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:

Both MCain and Romney lurched left in general elections. Their losses are on them. Establishment put them up as moderates. They lost badly. Many people stayed home.
It's an oversimplification to blame moderation on their defeats. McCain made a fatal choice in his VP that all but sealed his fate against the Obama juggernaut. Romney was a poor candidate period. He was very difficult for people to relate to.

I'm in Boston ATM and I ran into Jeb Bush in the hotel bar. I was able to speak with him for a few minutes. Nice man, but I think it would be silly to blame his campaign failure on moderation.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Beeker -- you've been good sport, but to argue that both Obama and Reagan were viewed as moderates from their own respective bases -- that's pretty far off the mark.

Again, look at these not from your own perspective, but from the perspective of their own bases, at the time.

Bush Sr in 1980 and Hillary in 2008 were viewed by GOP and Dem bases, respectively, as moderate / establishment candidates.

Yes, Dem base considered Bill Clinton "moderate" in 1992, but he was not establishment. There wasn't much enthusiasm there. Regardles, reason that Bill Clinton won is because Conservative voters were turned off by Bush Sr breaking the "no new taxes" pledge + Ross Perot splitting the vote with Bush Sr.

Both MCain and Romney lurched left in general elections. Their losses are on them. Establishment put them up as moderates. They lost badly. Many people stayed home.
Quote:
If you want to see tax reform, support campaign finance reform. Until giant corporate money and superpacs are taken out of the picture, politicians will never truly represent OUR interests.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:57 AM

I would also make "welfare" benefits taxable at the said flat Tax.

So people will stop and think -- do I want to pay $ 5 more a week for that policy? Let people think for once, rather than vote like drones to raise taxes on everybody else.

It would also obliterate a corrupt political system.

I would support any candidate who also would push for "strict liability" for politicians. Politicians put the law-abiding tax-payer on strict liabilities all the time. Let's put the politicians on one too.

Strict liability means liability regardless of intent.

For example politicians have raided Social Security, daylight theft and robbery. Plain and simple. Under a strict liability past politicians would be prosecuted and imprisoned.

Let there be justice. And let there be deterrence of future crime by politicians.

No more temporary politicians causing permanent, long-lasting damage.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:54 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
I disagree - playing "god" is a major source of politicians' power. We need to get the politicians out of the business of picking and choosing whom to tax to death or not.

So absolutely a flat tax, and for everyone, including and particular the poor, so when the poor decide to raise the taxes, they raise taxes on themselves too.

No more -- "I don't give a ****, I will vote to raise just on you, so why do I care?! So tax you, get your money and Govt gives it to me."

This is a corrupt behavior, and collusion.

Same for middle-income earner and the rich.
When I say "raise taxes for the rich" I'm saying, "let it be flat" not let them pay the lion's share of taxes just because they are rich - because right now all these tax shelters bring their effective rates far below the middle class (remember the Romney tax debacle?). If you think everyone should pay a a transparent, flat amount, then you either have to get rid of all the single-class tax breaks or raise some of the taxes to match the others.

And I still don't get this "we can't be God" idea you keep saying. We all "play God" by choosing the president whose policies we agree with - so I guess we are electing God. Every single candidate has an opinion on who, what, and how should be taxed and I don't believe anyone is saying it should remain at status quo. So whether you play God or not, your elected official will be.

Last edited by BicoastalAnn; 01-08-2016 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
I never expected you to vote for Trump or convince you. But he's the person we need to get this country and state back into order from the mess it's in/heading to.
Why is that?
Why are things so much worse today than, for example, during the Bush years? Just wondering because I heard unemployment rate is at 5%. We had a record year for vehicle sales in the US. There's even a new series of Star Wars Movies. Crime rate is at record lows.

Yes, there are problems but there are always problems... Is it more of a problem because we have news networks and radio trying to scare the **** out of people 24 hours a day so they keep watching?

What is it exactly that is MORE problematic than before?

How will Trump help fix the eroding middle class?
How will Trump eliminate Isis? Will they be just so impressed with him they stop their terroristic activities?
How exactly do you make Mexico pay for that wall? What's the plan?
What about the broken criminal justice system. What's Trump's plan there?
How will Trump keep unemployment at the lows we're currently enjoying? How will he fix the problem of underemployment?
Budget deficit? Is he going to cut spending? Where? How is going to grow the military and cut spending?
What about entitlements-- 99% of our budget problems are due to social security and medicare.

Or will he just exacerbate the problems so the next president can inherit them.

What is it about Trump besides the fact that he's a big "F-U" to the political establishment thats going to fix everything?

Also, how does he plan to become president if he can only garner 35% of the Republican vote while alienating everyone else.

How does this work exactly....

Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
This thread is becoming nasty and going off topic yet again. I am just going to shut it down. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut