Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it possible to live off $54K in the Hartford area?
Yes 31 83.78%
No 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:45 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
6k to eat?! That's $500/mo. He's one person. You can easily do $200/mo or less.

People already posted rents less than $1000. And I also question $400 for utilities etc but I'm not at my computer so I'll just leave that hanging for now. Maybe

(I do normally agree with your posts)

$600 is just $19 per day. I assume he does eat meat. $200 is fine for a bird.

$400 utils is with cable, internet, and the 3rd highest electricity rate per hw hour nationally in Ct.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I would suggest that you focus on job opportunities in Columbus where you would be successful and fulfilled in the role. It takes at least a year to really get to know a new area, and I'm guessing you would miss Columbus if you moved elsewhere. Moving doesn't generally seem like a good solution when you like the local area and it has a strong job market.

As far as the work situation goes, effective communication with management and demonstrating a strong work ethic are keys to success virtually anywhere. I think your next job will turn out better if you keep those principles in mind from the first day at work - not saying you didn't previously, but it's a good idea to strategize now for a better outcome in the next position. It sounds like a good idea to look into a different role that suits you more and if you perform well, there is probably more potential to get raises in the future that make up for the initial pay cut.
The root of the problem was not my work ethic (except for the excessive texting part). The root of the problem was that my previous employer (in Stamford) was VERY lax with everything. So, basically, I went from a very lax company to a very STRICT company. And my expectations and habits carried over to my new employer. On the bright side, I do not enjoy working in a strict work environment. I prefer lax, so I'm GLAD I'm not working there anymore. However, if there's any lesson to be learned from this, that would be that you must always assume that your new employer is going to be strict, at least in the beginning, and then see how things progress over time as you get a feel for their culture, environment, etc. I had assumed that it would be okay to come in at 9:30 if I had a doctor's appointment, or leave at 4:30 for another appointment, etc., because at my last employer (and even the employer before that), it was totally FINE to do that!

So basically, at my next employer, I will come in assuming that they are strict from day one, and limit my texting activity. As for the underperforming aspect, there's not much I can do about that, because I have always tried my best, and my manager failed to provide me with the resources necessary to properly complete my assignments.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That is not true. Food and groceries are expensive. Even just for myself, I spend anywhere from $300 to $600 a month on food and groceries.
I know they're expensive, I eat too. I could never spend that much for just myself though. And I buy grass fed meat.

Nep, I hear you on the lax vs strict thing. I had gone from a 5 year job that was pretty flexible to a very strict place that told me they were flexible. (Turned out that was only true for male employees not female contractors). It was miserable.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321;41741682!

So basically, at my next employer[B
, I will come in assuming that they are strict from day one, and limit my texting activity[/b].

NO texting is the right amount, btw.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:19 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
The root of the problem was not my work ethic (except for the excessive texting part). The root of the problem was that my previous employer (in Stamford) was VERY lax with everything. So, basically, I went from a very lax company to a very STRICT company. And my expectations and habits carried over to my new employer. On the bright side, I do not enjoy working in a strict work environment. I prefer lax, so I'm GLAD I'm not working there anymore. However, if there's any lesson to be learned from this, that would be that you must always assume that your new employer is going to be strict, at least in the beginning, and then see how things progress over time as you get a feel for their culture, environment, etc. I had assumed that it would be okay to come in at 9:30 if I had a doctor's appointment, or leave at 4:30 for another appointment, etc., because at my last employer (and even the employer before that), it was totally FINE to do that!

So basically, at my next employer, I will come in assuming that they are strict from day one, and limit my texting activity. As for the underperforming aspect, there's not much I can do about that, because I have always tried my best, and my manager failed to provide me with the resources necessary to properly complete my assignments.
I can certainly sympathize with the frustration of working in an overly strict, inflexible environment. It sounds like you have the right mindset for joining a new company in the future - assume the worst of their expectations, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Effective managers also want you to succeed because it would reflect positively on them as well, so they will help get you the resources you need and remove roadblocks. Sorry that your last boss was clearly not such a manager, but they are out there.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:22 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
No, I was NOT taking excessive time off, nor any time off at all. Please stop spreading rumors.

And yes, I was texting excessively, and I take responsibility for that. I won't do it in my next job. Problem solved.
Eh, I can get the doctor appointment thing if it was a true necessity. But leaving early on Friday at a new job for the cable guy? That sounds kinda spoiled and wimpy to me. Yes, I get the whole "I'll make up the hours thing"....but no way would I have done that in a new job.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Eh, I can get the doctor appointment thing if it was a true necessity. But leaving early on Friday at a new job for the cable guy? That sounds kinda spoiled and wimpy to me. Yes, I get the whole "I'll make up the hours thing"....but no way would I have done that in a new job.
BobNJ1960Don't forget dental cleaning during probation, plus 9 chiropractor visits OP planned on in 15 business days (3 per week, 3 weeks), but he was fired before taking that time off.

Probation means best behavior. Be there every single business hour of every single day, unless you get approval PRIOR to setting an appointment. Meaning you call doc, find available times, ASK for manager's permission to schedule it, and only if he/she says yes, do schedule it.

Cable can wait until a Saturday appointment is available. I had FIOS installed that way. I lived cable free until then. Work was my priority.

************************************************** ********************************************

OP's post on upcoming 9 appointments during work during probation:

09-11-2015, 07:21 PM
[SIZE=5]nep321[/SIZE]
befriend
8,834 posts, read 7,660,356 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua
So, out of curiosity, how many Dr appointments have you had during working hours in the two months you've been with this company?"

One.

But I need to see a chiropractor 3 times a week for three weeks. You know how hard that would be to schedule ALL of them outside of working hours? It's nearly impossible. Almost all of the night and weekend appointments are taken already, leaving me with no choice but to do appointments that overlap with work hours."

I might get fired next month

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 10-29-2015 at 09:56 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 11:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
BobNJ1960Don't forget dental cleaning during probation, plus 9 chiropractor visits OP planned on in 15 business days (3 per week, 3 weeks), but he was fired before taking that time off.

Probation means best behavior. Be there every single business hour of every single day, unless you get approval PRIOR to setting an appointment. Meaning you call doc, find available times, ASK for manager's permission to schedule it, and only if he/she says yes, do schedule it.

Cable can wait until a Saturday appointment is available. I had FIOS installed that way. I lived cable free until then. Work was my priority.

************************************************** ********************************************

OP's post on upcoming 9 appointments during work during probation:

09-11-2015, 07:21 PM
[SIZE=5]nep321[/SIZE]
befriend
8,834 posts, read 7,660,356 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua
So, out of curiosity, how many Dr appointments have you had during working hours in the two months you've been with this company?"

One.

But I need to see a chiropractor 3 times a week for three weeks. You know how hard that would be to schedule ALL of them outside of working hours? It's nearly impossible. Almost all of the night and weekend appointments are taken already, leaving me with no choice but to do appointments that overlap with work hours."

I might get fired next month
I have never seen someone in these forums so obsessed with hunting down my old threads and quotes to extreme details.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:27 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Yeah, I know. I don't even have cable so I'm sure Nep must think I'm a complete crazy person. The dental appointment could've waited for sure. And just telling you're boss that you won't be in on time because of a doctor's appointment with only one day's notice is also poor form. I'm really surprised that a 31 year old with a college education doesn't already know this. But what do I know? I'm just a GenX oldster.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I have never seen someone in these forums so obsessed with hunting down my old threads and quotes to extreme details.
It helps other posters to see the Big Picture.

Just make your Columbus performance a one time event and, next time, act like an employee on probation during probation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut