Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:40 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times

Advertisements

That is my sense of the restaurant scene in much of the Cleveland area but Cincinnati actually has a remarkably vibrant dining scene. (These are two cities I travel to for work on a regular basis but I don't know the first thing about the rest of the state.)

I couldn't agree more about the fact that the "perfect" place being different for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes Ohio-- Nothing like a nice family meal at Tony Roma's or Olive Garden
The "perfect" place is different for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I don't know why people have to keep bringing up Ohio in this thread, but, the statements about Ohio are remarkably laughable.

Cleveland is rated as the 7th best city in the U.S. for food. Cleveland and Cincinnati are legacy cities that do not depend on generic chain restaurants. Columbus does, to a higher degree, because it's a newer city. And all of these cities have far more to offer than any city in CT, except if you like the beach (and even Lake Erie is exactly like the ocean). Cleveland and Cincinnati are NOT in anyway similar to Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix and all of those generic cities. Columbus is, however.

Ohio is the 7th most populated state in the U.S. with the 8th largest economy.

But any of the three major Ohio metros are far more "big city" metropolitan feeling than ANYTHING in CT. I'm not saying that that's what I necessarily prefer or whatever, but just setting the facts straight. Seems like there are many people in CT who probably believe that Ohio is just farms, which is the biggest misconception ever. Much more people in Ohio are living urban/metropolitan lifestyles than people in CT are living. When my friend from Ohio came to visit CT two months ago, he couldn't believe how much more "sleepy" and rural feeling it was. I couldn't believe it myself either.

Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati are large, bustling metropolitan areas with tons of corporate headquarters and gentrification and young people moving in.

Just trying to shoot down the ridiculously embarrassing statements made in this thread by some.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:07 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Cincinnati and Cleveland trump New Haven/Hartford easily. If comparing Cincinnati/Cleveland it's like compared to Pittsburgh and the Twin Cities.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Cleveland is rated as the 7th best city in the U.S. for food.
Ohio is where they put chili and velveta on spaghetti. Ranked by who?

Back OT:

Interestingly, I was in a meeting today discussing entrepreneurism in CT and how to keep more young people here. They had a list of the primary places where CT loses young people to. (Ohio didn't make the list).

Affordable housing with transportation, however, is one of the things that would keep more young people in state. Problem is when you say "affordable housing" people in CT think Father Panick Village. Not this:

Old 11-04-2015, 03:09 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ohio is where they put chili and velveta on spaghetti. Ranked by who?

Back OT:

Interestingly, I was in a meeting today discussing entrepreneurism in CT and how to keep more young people here. They had a list of the primary places where CT loses young people to. (Ohio didn't make the list).

Affordable housing with transportation, however, is one of the things that would keep more young people in state. Problem is when you say "affordable housing" people in CT think Father Panick Village. Not this:
where are they saying they are losing young people too? I think its not just a CT thing but a lot of states are losing youth to areas like Austin which are blowing up with young people.

The problem is also what incentive does the state have to keep young people here who cant afford to live here if they can sell expensive real estate and homes to people that can afford them at whatever age they are?

Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't know why people have to keep bringing up Ohio in this thread, but, the statements about Ohio are remarkably laughable.

Cleveland is rated as the 7th best city in the U.S. for food. Cleveland and Cincinnati are legacy cities that do not depend on generic chain restaurants. Columbus does, to a higher degree, because it's a newer city. And all of these cities have far more to offer than any city in CT, except if you like the beach (and even Lake Erie is exactly like the ocean). Cleveland and Cincinnati are NOT in anyway similar to Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix and all of those generic cities. Columbus is, however.

Ohio is the 7th most populated state in the U.S. with the 8th largest economy.

But any of the three major Ohio metros are far more "big city" metropolitan feeling than ANYTHING in CT. I'm not saying that that's what I necessarily prefer or whatever, but just setting the facts straight. Seems like there are many people in CT who probably believe that Ohio is just farms, which is the biggest misconception ever. Much more people in Ohio are living urban/metropolitan lifestyles than people in CT are living. When my friend from Ohio came to visit CT two months ago, he couldn't believe how much more "sleepy" and rural feeling it was. I couldn't believe it myself either.

Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati are large, bustling metropolitan areas with tons of corporate headquarters and gentrification and young people moving in.

Just trying to shoot down the ridiculously embarrassing statements made in this thread by some.
No matter how you slice it, Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati are second tier cities (cities like New York, LA and Chicago are first tier). I have been to Cleveland and Cincinnati and they are really not much bigger than greater Hartford. They have a little more bustle downtown but really not a lot. Sure there are good restaurants there, just like any city but overall they are not comparable to New York or Boston PERIOD. Jay

Old 11-04-2015, 03:25 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please return to the topic of the OP which is whether Connecticut primarily appeals to older people. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-04-2015, 04:25 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
CT is just one of those states where, unless you had first hand experience of it or have family there, you don't really have a compelling reason to go there and probably don't know how great it is. I personally think it's a great place but before I lived in Westchester and got to experience CT personally, I would've been just as likely to move there as Cleveland or Columbus (that is to say low motivation to do so). It's not known for anything (except Yale) among young people. Whereas places like CA, MA, NY, heck even OR are known for something distinct and that's what helps them attract relocators. Of course once they are there, how long and why they stay is another issue.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:17 AM

720 posts, read 919,936 times
What Millennials Want: Plugging CT's Generational Drain - Hartford Courant

This is what the youth wants, they don't care for a new expensive homes and a white picket fence. They rather live on experiences, have things to do, this is why NYC, BOSTON, AUSTIN, DENVER, MIAMI, SAN DIEGO, HOUSTON, L.A, L.V are more appealing.

Someones comment on the courant site under the article: His point #2! We don't have a big city or anything that exciting in CT! Younger generations want to live downtown, a vibrant downtown!

maxanderson Guest

Rank 52Data shows that millennials are moving to the suburbs in ever-increasing numbers. The problem for CT is that they are moving to suburbs in Utah, Texas, North Carolina, etc and NOT Connecticut.

There are several problems with CT that make it not desirable for millenials:

1. High cost of living - staring out from college or grad school, often with loads of debt, you are looking for place where your earnings go far.

2. Lack of a true city - prior to having kids, most millennials want to be somewhere exciting and fun. While most move to the burbs, a large minority choose city life. No one looking for city life would choose Hartford.

3. Jobs - millenials want to be in a area with good career opportunities - Houston, Dallas, Denver, Austin, Boston or smaller cities like Boulder or Madison. CT lacks any growth that would attract a millenial.

Not until CT starts to grow, lowers cost for residents and turns Hartford into something more than a half-vacant office park, will CT attract millenials

Old 11-05-2015, 05:47 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Second paragraph of that articles sums up CT very well it is very very very true. Straight to the T. Don't want to leave family behind, but COL to salary to job opportunities to tuition cost have to leave to make a living to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut