Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:12 AM

720 posts, read 920,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm 31 and think CT is one of the best places to live in the country (other than southwestern CT). I like the winters and four seasons. Too many people are obsessed with warm weather. My only real complaint about CT is that the gay population is very small, for gays aged 25-35. Most of them leave for places like NYC, Boston, Florida or California because they are metro divas.

CT can be painfully boring and depressing for a young single gay guy. But I'm 31 and only getting older myself, so....

The only place in CT that I think has a vibrant life of some sort is Stamford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 12:54 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Connecticut is only boring to people who refuse to take advantage of all it has to offer. What other part of the country can you be close to the beaches, mountains, countryside, urban areas, open space and history that we have? The only thing we really don't have is a really big city. But unless you want to live in a big city, you can live here and still be near two of the greatest cities in the world. Not bad IMHO.

As for the cost of living, from what I have seen, the cost of housing is not that much lower in or near other similar sized cities outside of Fairfield County. You can easily buy a nice smaller condo near New Haven or Hartford for under $150,000. That is no more than a lot of other cities people say are affordable. Also keep in mind that salaries here are arguably higher to compensate for the added costs here. Jay

Old 11-02-2015, 01:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
The only place in CT that I think has a vibrant life of some sort is Stamford.
But I hate Stamford. That is the most plastic corporate city I have ever seen. Tons of new, cheaply built apartment buildings and complexes. And the traffic is atrocious. The city is very congested. The theme of Stamford is work. The city that works. It's also ultra expensive. Like $1,900 for a 1 bd luxury apartment. All they build now are luxury apartments. The only thing Stamford has going for it is that the crime is low and the schools are decent. It is not a fun city by any means. A fun city would be more like New Haven.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:04 PM

720 posts, read 920,968 times
Quote:
But I hate Stamford. That is the most plastic corporate city I have ever seen. Tons of new, cheaply built apartment buildings and complexes. And the traffic is atrocious. The city is very congested. The theme of Stamford is work. The city that works. It's also ultra expensive. Like $1,900 for a 1 bd luxury apartment. All they build now are luxury apartments. The only thing Stamford has going for it is that the crime is low and the schools are decent. It is not a fun city by any means. A fun city would be more like New Haven.
Stamford has a ton of great restaurants, bars, nice mall, great food and best part it is 45 minutes from NYC. New Haven is to ghetto.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Stamford has a ton of great restaurants, bars, nice mall, great food and best part it is 45 minutes from NYC. New Haven is to ghetto.
I disagree. Norwalk actually has better restaurants than Stamford (94 Zagat rated restaurants in Norwalk). Stamford has no bars that are relevant to me (gay). I think it's absolutely pathetic that Stamford doesn't even have ONE gay bar. So, New Haven beats it in that. If by "nice mall" you're talking about Landmark Square.....give me a break. That mall charges for parking, which is absurd. I think Westfarms or Buckland Hills are both nicer malls. Being 45 minutes from NYC is irrelevant, if we are going to evaluate these cities based on their own merits.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:34 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,712,782 times
I like Stamford, Norwalk, and New Haven. A bit too heavily congested but decent restaurants to check out. Bridgeport has a lot of good takeout places. Danbury has good restaurants as well. Can't say much about Waterbury though.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,400,477 times
Quote:
I disagree. Norwalk actually has better restaurants than Stamford (94 Zagat rated restaurants in Norwalk). Stamford has no bars that are relevant to me (gay). I think it's absolutely pathetic that Stamford doesn't even have ONE gay bar. So, New Haven beats it in that. If by "nice mall" you're talking about Landmark Square.....give me a break. That mall charges for parking, which is absurd. I think Westfarms or Buckland Hills are both nicer malls. Being 45 minutes from NYC is irrelevant, if we are going to evaluate these cities based on their own merits.
might as well just go to nyc if ur looking for gay bars in stamford

Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
might as well just go to nyc if ur looking for gay bars in stamford
Much easier said than done. During my two years of living in Norwalk, I did not go to NYC for gay bars even once. Instead, I went to one in Fairfield, or even up to New Haven, where there are a few half decent ones.

Going to NYC costs big money and time. Much easer to just drive up I-95. Plus, I'd rather invest my time and build relationships and mingle with CT locals than NYC people. I'm a believer in using local amenities instead of having to take a long trip to some other outside city.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:
Much easier said than done. During my two years of living in Norwalk, I did not go to NYC for gay bars even once. Instead, I went to one in Fairfield, or even up to New Haven, where there are a few half decent ones.

Going to NYC costs big money and time. Much easer to just drive up I-95. Plus, I'd rather invest my time and build relationships and mingle with CT locals than NYC people. I'm a believer in using local amenities instead of having to take a long trip to some other outside city.
Not that expensive. Metro North is just $29.50 from Milford, probably $25 from Norwalk max.80 minutes from there max each way.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,962,553 times
What about Hartford, New London area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut