Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 07:47 AM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 149,854 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving from Princeton, NJ to Guilford, CT in May. I have a psych degree from Europe and am currently finishing my Masters in Clinical Counseling. I was wondering if anyone could advise me a bit about how the counseling/mental health field is in CT, particularly in the Guilford/Madison/New Haven area? I am especially interested in knowing what field/population has the greatest need, how the private practice world is in terms of salary and also what kind of clientele is the most served (and underserved) in the area, plus what kind of State Government job opportunities might be out there? As I will have to do my Practicum very shortly, specific ideas about good places to go to would be very much appreciated also. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
Hello,

I am moving from Princeton, NJ to Guilford, CT in May. I have a psych degree from Europe and am currently finishing my Masters in Clinical Counseling. I was wondering if anyone could advise me a bit about how the counseling/mental health field is in CT, particularly in the Guilford/Madison/New Haven area? I am especially interested in knowing what field/population has the greatest need, how the private practice world is in terms of salary and also what kind of clientele is the most served (and underserved) in the area, plus what kind of State Government job opportunities might be out there? As I will have to do my Practicum very shortly, specific ideas about good places to go to would be very much appreciated also. Thank you!
Here is a website that is a good place to start looking.
Clinical Counseling Jobs, Employment in New Haven, CT | Indeed.com

As for specific companies here are a few.

*Yale New Haven Hospital--New Haven
*Veteran's Hospital-- West Haven
*CT Hospice--Branford
*Boys & Girls Village--Milford
https://www.bgvillage.org/CurrentOpenings
*Department of Children and Family Services New Haven
DCF: Region 2

I would also contact some of the Psychology Departments of the colleges in the New Haven area like Yale, Albertus Magnus, University of New Haven and Southern etc. Here is a complete list of the colleges in the New Haven area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...y,_Connecticut

I think you made a great choice in Guilford. Good luck in your job search and move to CT. As an artist I think you are really going to like the entire area on the coastline east of New Haven.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Your best bet is at a residential or outpatient service. Most hospitals hire LCSW or use APRNs, but some utilize LPCs. A lot of CT uses MFTs and SWs. CT has a lot of openings for substance user's and those with family issue's.

Over in Guilford area there is Shoreline and BHCare probably say two largest services in that area. There is some smaller counseling services.

Going east Old Saybrook/Lyme area has a mix of stuff with Hartford Hospital has a branch of Natchaug Hospital down that way. Heard Yale opened a Doctor office out that way, but not sure.

There is a off site of Middlesex Hospital in that area, a NeuroPsych office, and a few other programs. Think there is an adolescent autistic group works down that way. Also an addiction clinic.

Going further east a few options I know Stonington Institute is a large drug and alcohol rehab center. They work closely with Groton and service members so it's good they take care of them.

A bit off beaten path up in Durham/Meriden area is Rushford another psych facility owned by Hartford Hospital. The state hospital is up that way.

Going towards the West New Haven has some options with Cornell Scott Hill, Yale not Yale Hospital has an adolescent program I believe, research psych department, a anxiety/mood disorder center, and so forth. A few children psych options as well some are The Children's Center in Hamden and The Boy's & Girl's Village Inc. in Milford, they love you if you speak Spanish.

Also CMHC is a good group in New Haven. The VA is in West Haven and Newington. There is some outpatient sites only one I know of is Waterbury.

Farther West services expand especially in Bridgeport/Norwalk area and near Griffin Hospital in Derby area.

Also Catholic Charities has a wide area of coverage in CT.

Pay can range think lowest I seem was $38,000 and highest was $75,000.

Best of luck.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:33 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
I remembered a company named Marrakech. When I googled it I found this page with an entire listing of agencies in the New Haven area that provide mental health services.

Agencies > Community Services Network | Psychiatry | Yale School of Medicine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut