Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:04 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,905 times

Advertisements

Article is behind a paywall but here is what is listed

92% of property including house is in Waterbury
8% of yard in Middlebury
Parents say realtor told them the kids would be eligible for Middlebury schools.
$210 paid in real estate taxes paid to Middlebury
$4,875 paid in real estate taxes to Waterbury
Car taxes paid in Waterbury
Wife registered to vote in Middlebury and family taps into Middlebury sewer line. Middlebury tax collector says family has never paid the sewer taxes though.
Middlebury blight officer went to investigate extremely messy property and found it to be under Waterbury jurisdiction
Waterbury blight officer investigates and property is cleaned up
Region 15 (Middlebury and Southbury) school board rules 10 and 12 year old kids not eligible for their schools; kids live in Waterbury jurisdiction.
Parents are fighting for kids to stay but say they will drop case if kids are accepted into Waterbury magnet school until they graduate. State Waterbury schools are underperforming.
Parents want legislature to transfer entire property to Middlebury.

My thoughts:
1. When we were looking at houses fifteen years ago, we found one property that straddled two towns and were told that the kids go to school in the town where house is located. Either their realtor lied (if parents are being honest) or they didn't do their homework. The bulk of their taxes going to Waterbury should have a dead give away.
2. Pay the tuition (if accepted) to send kids to Region 15 or suck it up and go to Waterbury schools. They'd be at Tinker or Carrington most likely which are good. And schools don't underperfom; students underperform....anyone who puts up with my posts know how I feel about stereotyping city schools.
3. I love a guy who thinks his kids are too good for the city schools yet keeps his yard a pig sty, doesn't pay the bills and wears a "drunkagen" t-shirt for a family portrait.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
I'm mostly with you.

In this case, I get they want to keep their kids in Region 15 schools. They're high performing and offer the sheltered environment many parents want for their kids. Uprooting them from the school seems wrong morally, since they've likely become established in their circle of friends and extra curricular activities. But, the parents didn't do their homework when they purchased. It's amazing people making the biggest purchase of their lives don't look into everything.

When we were looking at homes years ago, we looked at one that was on the town line. We would have to pay taxes to both communities and it seemed like a headache. After looking at GIS mapping, we walked. It wasn't worth it. Even with the home we bought now, which is not on a town line, I spent hours researching the land around my house to ensure we wouldn't run into any issues. I contacted the Health department, town hall, etc, you name it. I figured if I'm spending hundreds of thousands on a house. A few hours of phone calls/research is a small price to pay.

It sucks because, unfortunately for these homeowners, their home value will drop now that they're redistricted to Waterbury schools. It's nobody's fault but their own.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:28 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
Houses in which the lot straddles two town/city property lines are not at all unusual in CT. Sometimes the house itself is in two towns.

There are a few houses on the Norwich/ Bozrah border that have the property line running straight through the home. Legally, the kids go to school in the jurisdiction which contains the bedrooms or the majority of each bedroom.

Those people in Waterbury don't really have a choice. The kids are going to have to go to school in Waterbury. The legal questions have been asked and answered before.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:33 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
I mean they should of realized it before hand. As far as Waterbury school's you know my stance on it.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm mostly with you.

In this case, I get they want to keep their kids in Region 15 schools. They're high performing and offer the sheltered environment many parents want for their kids. Uprooting them from the school seems wrong morally, since they've likely become established in their circle of friends and extra curricular activities. But, the parents didn't do their homework when they purchased. It's amazing people making the biggest purchase of their lives don't look into everything.

When we were looking at homes years ago, we looked at one that was on the town line. We would have to pay taxes to both communities and it seemed like a headache. After looking at GIS mapping, we walked. It wasn't worth it. Even with the home we bought now, which is not on a town line, I spent hours researching the land around my house to ensure we wouldn't run into any issues. I contacted the Health department, town hall, etc, you name it. I figured if I'm spending hundreds of thousands on a house. A few hours of phone calls/research is a small price to pay.

It sucks because, unfortunately for these homeowners, their home value will drop now that they're redistricted to Waterbury schools. It's nobody's fault but their own.
Headache describes a situation involving both towns perfectly. There was nothing wrong with the other town when we looked, but the taxes and services going in two different directions just wasn't worth it.

There was another part of the article where the younger child was accepted to a Waterbury magnet already (WAMS goes grades 6-12). I wonder if these parents knew what they were doing all along, though. I've seen/heard enough people who try to put their kids in schools they aren't zoned for to be fairly cynical on this.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I mean they should of realized it before hand. As far as Waterbury school's you know my stance on it.
Did you go to them?

Last edited by AMSS; 12-20-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-20-2015, 10:43 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Did you got to them?
Catholic school growing up. I used to work with young ones from the school's on the area and a few friend's worked in the school system. Some good moment's some hair pulling moments.

Many of the school's in Waterbury are over crowded with dilapidated school's in need of an overhaul or new buildings. Outside of that a few school's have a bad rep for being violent and bullying going on. One school took on a new principle recently thankfully is a no non sense person.

Many of the kid's cam be disrespectful and unruly only a few teachers mostly season can handle the bunch.

Unfortunately kid's are entering middle school not able to speak English or know how to tell time off a standard clock.

Granted their are more bad apple school's, but still some good apples in the bunch.

Bunker Hill and Driggs are two amazing elementary schools in Waterbury.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:16 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
How do houses end up with borders going thru them? Doesnt whoever builds them in the first place plan ahead?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
The builder looks at the lot. If it's an approved building lot , then he builds the house on the lot with consideration as to there building setback lines are, where the septic system can fit, etc. As to where kids will go to school, that's not his problem - lol

Yes, to me and you it is ridiculous to build a home with a town line going through it, but there is a buyer for every house and someone will buy it.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:58 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The builder looks at the lot. If it's an approved building lot , then he builds the house on the lot with consideration as to there building setback lines are, where the septic system can fit, etc. As to where kids will go to school, that's not his problem - lol

Yes, to me and you it is ridiculous to build a home with a town line going through it, but there is a buyer for every house and someone will buy it.
I get that but i'd think the local governments would not approve it just to avoid all the complications.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut