Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,219,211 times

Advertisements

I think what some people mean with "walkable" for other people is "strollable."

For his family, I think OP means strollable. A few blocks of storefronts, downtown, restaurants, churches, and attorney offices.

That's what Ridgefield, Newtown, Litchfield, Bethel, New Milford offer. Pls note that I am staying away from the Merritt and 95.

For me and family Merritt and 95 Friday traffic have made anything along that way a deal-breaker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 05:05 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,094,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
BTW Litchfield is equidistant to trains as Ridgefield. Just the train ride is 2 hrs vs 1 hr to GCT.
Ridgefield has their own train station, and they are very close (15 min) to Katonah. Litchfield is a 40 min drive to the nearest Metro North Station which is in Waterbury. Except on the Waterbury line, you have to change in Stamford I believe... or maybe Bridgeport.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 PM

104 posts, read 100,043 times
Ridgefield has a shuttle to the Katonah train station.

http://www.hartransit.com/routes/shu...05%20RF-KT.pdf

While Ridgefield has a terrific recreation center pool and popular Martin Pond for summer swimming, you might want to consider Ridgefield neighborhoods with their own pool and tennis associations. Ours has a great main pool, a shallow kiddie pool, a nice tennis court, a basketball court, softball & playground area, & ample covered area for grilling & picnics. It's a great gathering spot in summer, with middle-class, down-to-earth types. Normal people, not country clubbish.

Re arts in Ridgefield, I have friends in the Ridgefield Guild of Artists, and they're super friendly & supportive. They really enjoy the RGA community. Also, the Silvermine Arts Guild is a great place, though it's in near-by New Canaan (but worth the drive from Ridgefield).

If you come for a closer look, hope you check out our fabulous new movie house, The Prospector, and our lovely recently expanded library. Also, ask about our summer concerts in the park.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Ridgefield has their own train station, and they are very close (15 min) to Katonah. Litchfield is a 40 min drive to the nearest Metro North Station which is in Waterbury. Except on the Waterbury line, you have to change in Stamford I believe... or maybe Bridgeport.
Danbury line is a slog, and not very reliable. Harlem line is much better. Most Ridgefield commuters use Katonah. During the morning rush hour Ridgefield to Katonah is about half hour.

Litchfield is about half hour from Amenia.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 PM

21,660 posts, read 31,301,140 times
Quote:
Danbury line is a slog, and not very reliable. Harlem line is much better. Most Ridgefield commuters use Katonah. During the morning rush hour Ridgefield to Katonah is about half hour.

Litchfield is about half hour from Amenia.
During the morning rush, Ridgefield to the Katonah station is only about 15 minutes, maybe 20 from central Ridgefield. If you're closer to the border, it should only take 15 max.

You cannot even compare Ridgefield's NY access to Litchfield's. It's at least double the time from Litchfield.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
During the morning rush, Ridgefield to the Katonah station is only about 15 minutes, maybe 20 from central Ridgefield. If you're closer to the border, it should only take 15 max.

You cannot even compare Ridgefield's NY access to Litchfield's. It's at least double the time from Litchfield.
2/3 of Ridgefield's is North of center of town. Many commuters actually need more than 30 minutes to drive to Katonah.

And we're not even talking about the Shuttle, which alone is 1/2 hour from Memorial Church.

About Litchfield -- half of town is West of downtown. Of course trains from Amenia can't compare with access from Katonah, but OP is not looking for daily commute.

He is only looking for 1 trip / week. For OP the drive-out on Friday is the killer. That's why Ridgefield's appealing, all other things being equal.

Last edited by Henry10; 01-13-2016 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Of course trains from Amenia can't compare with access from Katonah, but OP is not looking for daily commute.
And the OP has stated they'd like ease to trains for a quick commute. Let's stop pushing towns that would give the OP a hellish commute, even if once a week. Time to put your own bias aside for their benefit.

I know many who commute from various locations in Ridgefield. One lives on the Redding line - she just replied it takes her 25 minutes from the furthest part of Ridgefield, to Katonah. Of course, this is snow/accidents aside.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
And the OP has stated they'd like ease to trains for a quick commute. Let's stop pushing towns that would give the OP a hellish commute, even if once a week. Time to put your own bias aside for their benefit.

I know many who commute from various locations in Ridgefield. One lives on the Redding line - she just replied it takes her 25 minutes from the furthest part of Ridgefield, to Katonah. Of course, this is snow/accidents aside.
I have no bias. Just want to give OP some accurate info and lay out the options for him to decide.

Litchfield was mentioned along with plenty of other towns, much further than Ridgefield, which offer OP more bang for the buck, plus much less "hedge fund people."

Again, you keep providing inaccurate travel time. Redding's border is about 2-3 miles from center of Ridgefield, while the northern border is 10 miles.

Do you know that Ridgefield's northern border is actually one mile away from I-84? Do you know that some Ridgefield commuters actually drive to SouthEast or Croton Falls rather than Katonah?

Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I have no bias. Just want to give OP some accurate info and lay out the options for him to decide.

Litchfield was mentioned along with plenty of other towns, much further than Ridgefield, which offer OP more bang for the buck, plus much less "hedge fund people."

Again, you keep providing inaccurate travel time. Redding's border is about 2-3 miles from center of Ridgefield, while the northern border is 10 miles.

Do you know that Ridgefield's northern border is actually one mile away from I-84? Do you know that some Ridgefield commuters actually drive to SouthEast or Croton Falls rather than Katonah?
Sorry but my information is not inaccurate. I've lived in the area for quite some time, have driven the Katonah route more times than I can count and it's not a half hour on an average day. Have you driven it? You're overestimating it, period.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say the OP is not interested in Litchfield for reasons previously stated.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Sorry but my information is not inaccurate. I've lived in the area for quite some time, have driven the Katonah route more times than I can count and it's not a half hour on an average day. Have you driven it? You're overestimating it, period.
Wife and I are actually contemplating moving out of the city, into the "peace and quiet", and going back to being "long-distance" commuters. I also have access to tons of data at work, real estate, demographics, commuting times, future outlook, you name it.

Ridgefield is definitely a candidate for us, and have looked at a lot more than just commute times. As I said, there are Ridgefield's NYC commuters who don't even drive to Katonah, although many do. Ridgefield is not a small town.

This discussion is actually useless for OP. For a few times in the summer that he'll take the train, he could just take the Danbury Line in-town. That was a great suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut