Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM

10 posts, read 7,778 times

Advertisements

Hi! I grew up in the Hartford area and lived here until my early 20s. After spending 15 years in various areas of the country, my husband and I decided to move our family to CT to be near family. Our hope was to move to Windsor but his job search led him to Greenwich.

We are currently staying with family while we look for a rental home closer to Greenwich. I don't know too much about southwest CT, except it's expensive. Here's what we're looking for:

- No more than 30-40 minute commute to Greenwich

- Safe, family friendly neighborhood that is racially diverse

- No more than $1200 monthly rent (I am currently changing careers and want to wait until I build up my business to buy a home)

- 2 to 3 bedrooms, preferably a single family home but I'm realizing that may be hard to find here in our price range

Any suggestions on areas that we should check out? I've heard good things about Norwalk but see no rentals in our price range there.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
I don't mean to sound rude or short, but that's not realistic. 2-3 bedrooms for $1200 a month less than 40 mins to Greenwich is not going to happen. Even up in the New Haven area, which is a little cheaper, it's impossible.. Now that you're back in CT, you have to come to terms with the cost of living. It's high..

You're looking in an area where 1 bedrooms go for $1800+.. Even in Fairfield, which is generally the most affordable commuter town, 2-3 bedroom home rentals are $2,500-3,000 and go up from there. And that's about an hour from Greenwich with traffic.. Even in Norwalk, a 2-3 bedroom house is $3,000 per month.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:50 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Look in Bridgeport

Old 08-12-2016, 06:54 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Welcome back to CT!

30-40 minutes from Greenwich puts you in Norwalk to the east and the Bronx to the southwest. In all of those areas (both CT and NY), home sale prices are in the millions and rents are, on average, $2k for a small 1 bedroom apartment. You won't find anything for $1200 unless you push your radius to Bridgeport or the Valley (Derby/Shelton), but even there, you're likely only getting a 1 bedroom for that price unless you sacrifice safety. Commuting from those cities won't be fun, though, because 95 and the Merritt Parkway are jammed during rush hour.

Have you both considered getting a roommate? It's likely the only way you can stay within your budget and desired commute.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Nah, look elsewhere.
I don't even think the west end of Bridgeport (certainly not Black Rock) you could find 2 beds for $1200. Even if you did, that's over a 1 hr commute.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:41 AM

Thank you for the responses.

My husband used to long commutes so an hour away is not too bad. It's much better than what he's doing now. Hopefully we'll be able to move back to Hartford county in a year or two anyway so it may just be temporary.

What about Ansonia? Hamden? Seymour? Naugatuck? Based on my original criteria. Specifically diversity and crime??

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Hamden and Naugatuck are a bit far, but Seymour and Ansonia are doable. Still longer than I'd do, but a lot of people in the Valley (Shelton included) are lower Fairfield commuters.

Is his work close to a train station? Is the train an option? If so, look into Stratford and Milford.

If he drives, make sure he's aware of the horrific traffic jams. It will regularly take him an hour to get from Greenwich to Fairield on 95, sometimes longer.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. He's currently commuting from Hartford so he's well aware of the traffic.
With the exception of one or two of his co-workers, everyone commutes over an hour. I'm starting to see why.

Yes, we've been thinking the train may be a good idea. Is Milford diverse? What is the crime like? I've seen a couple of rentals there in our price range online.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-12-2016, 08:18 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angiec30 View Post
Thank you for the responses.

My husband used to long commutes so an hour away is not too bad. It's much better than what he's doing now. Hopefully we'll be able to move back to Hartford county in a year or two anyway so it may just be temporary.

What about Ansonia? Hamden? Seymour? Naugatuck? Based on my original criteria. Specifically diversity and crime??

Thanks again!
The problem is going to be traffic. There are a lot of people who live in this area (generally in eastern Fairfield County and western New Haven County) who commute to the Stamford, Norwalk, Greenwich area so highways are jammed and while not necessarily a long distance, traffic will make the commute very long.

Again your budget is very low, particularly for what you are looking for. Remember you are moving to one of the most expensive parts of the country so $1,200 does not get you much. To be honest, you would not even find what you are asking for in more affordable metro areas like Hartford and New Haven. You and your husband need to seriously reconsider this move. If your budget can be made higher, then I would suggest Stamford to minimize the commute to Greenwich. Even Norwalk to Greenwich will be tough because of traffic in Stamford. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-12-2016, 08:18 AM

Milford is diverse, Stratford is more diverse. All parts of Milford are very safe. The Devon area is a little dumpy but still safe.

If he's taking the train, a place close to the station would be best. But also consider how he would get to his Greenwich office from the station (unless it's walkable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut