Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:27 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is great. Makes me think Connecticut has a chance at nabbing Amazon.

Interestingly I was in the company this weekend of several millenials who worked in Boston. Their major conversation was the significant problems they are facing in Boston with rentals. Three of the four are facing significant rent increases in the coming months and are debating what to do about them. One is facing an $800 per month increase!!! I was shocked and asked them to confirm that amount. They said yes and that is not on a super-luxury apartment. It is for a mid-level 2 bedroom apartment. They are considering moving further out of the city and mentioned Canton, MA as a possible location for more affordable rents but their commute would be nearly an hour. Another is seriously considering leaving Boston to return to Hartford though their career at their current company is going extremely well. Still the significant rent increases more than eat up any advancements they are getting in the foreseeable future. They all said their friends are facing similar issues as the city is getting more and more expensive and less and less livable. I thought that said a lot since these are the generation that big companies are trying to entice. Kind of hard to do that when they can't afford to live near where they work. Jay
Yes, absolutely Jay. I feel lucky for having purchased a condo in Harvard Square, Cambridge right after the 2008 meltdown and I have family in the Boston area, so finding a place is not an issue for me. However, rents in Boston have been climbing with no end in sight: greater demand due to a strong economy, landlords asking exorbitant rents, and the lack of affordable housing is definitely impacting the possibility of millennials and others to live near where they work. I am not sure how sustainable this will be for Boston.

CT can definitely capitalize off of Boston. There are plenty of people who would be willing to move from MA to CT as the state offers a very good QoL, quaint towns & villages, and many reasonable housing options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Just heard from a friend at the Norwalk office she's been laid off effective January.

https://patch.com/connecticut/norwal...orwalk-layoffs

Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Just heard from a friend at the Norwalk office she's been laid off effective January.

https://patch.com/connecticut/norwal...orwalk-layoffs
Sorry to hear that. Immelt took GE in a direction it probably never should have gone. They did a knee-jerk reaction to the financial meltdown of 2008 by selling off GE Capital assets that did so well for them in the past and got away from their industrial roots by selling off their appliance and lighting divisions that were the solid base the company was built upon. To me this is just CEO ego rather than solid decision making. Even the move to Boston was more ego than solid long-term decision making. The unfortunate fallout for all of this is loss of jobs for the everyday workers like your friend. I am sure she will have no trouble finding a new job though. Wishing her the best. Jay

Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 PM

It looks like GE may be broken up into smaller companies in order to address the company's current financial problems. The Hartford Courant recently had an interesting editorial about the fact that the two companies that left Connecticut, GE and Alexion, both have seen their stock prices nose dive significantly. Coincidence? Jay

Sources: GE breakup announcement to occur as early as this spring

Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 PM

486 posts, read 516,213 times
Quote:
It looks like GE may be broken up into smaller companies in order to address the company's current financial problems. The Hartford Courant recently had an interesting editorial about the fact that the two companies that left Connecticut, GE and Alexion, both have seen their stock prices nose dive significantly. Coincidence? Jay

Sources: GE breakup announcement to occur as early as this spring
I wonder what this means for their new Boston HQ? It was already delayed.. then they started laying people off in Boston. Bet their plot goes up for sale soon. They havent started the tower yet, so someone would snap it up.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:19 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I wonder what this means for their new Boston HQ? It was already delayed.. then they started laying people off in Boston. Bet their plot goes up for sale soon. They havent started the tower yet, so someone would snap it up.
Thus far the layoffs in Boston have been corporate people most of whom came from FFC. GE doesn't get any tax breaks until they employ at least 400 people at HQ by 2019 - there were 250 before the layoffs - and won't reap the entire benefit without the full 800 they promised by 2024.

Currently, the renovation of 2 existing buildings is underway with an anticipated opening of 2019 - as planned. GE delayed the start of the tower by 2 years to 2019 with a completion target of 2021. As for selling the plot, GE doesn't own the land. They and a state economic agency are working together on developing the project with the state maintaining ownership of the existing buildings and GE the new building.

GE says they are committed to the new HQ. If they were to split, I think that they would probably stay but as a scaled down version but would give up many of the tax breaks.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,800 times
Boston seems to already have the issues that's causing Amazon to look beyond Seattle. It's economy is on fire.
If you think Amazon is going there, could be a great place for R.E investment. Pricy though.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:29 AM

Things are looking even worse for GE. The former Connecticut based company that still has significant offices and employees here, has a major deficit ($31 billion) in its pension fund which is going to make it hard for the company to move forward in the future. What is most glaring is that the fund had a $14.6 billion surplus 16 years ago when Jeffery Immelt took over. Just goes to show you how bad his tenure was for GE. I find it pretty hippo-critical of Immelt that he had the nerve to criticize the State of Connecticut for its handling of finances when he was doing the same or worse at GE. At least Malloy was not living a lavish lifestyle on the company's dime with ridiculous things like have multiple private jets standing by to whisk him from meeting to meeting just in case the one he is on has a problem. I am not saying we can or should compare a government to a business but a person that was as vocal as Immelt was a couple of years back should have been practicing what he preaches. JMHO, Jay

GE's $31 billion pension nightmare | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 01-19-2018, 05:08 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,831,424 times
Quote:
Things are looking even worse for GE. The former Connecticut based company that still has significant offices and employees here, has a major deficit ($31 billion) in its pension fund which is going to make it hard for the company to move forward in the future. What is most glaring is that the fund had a $14.6 billion surplus 16 years ago when Jeffery Immelt took over. Just goes to show you how bad his tenure was for GE. I find it pretty hippo-critical of Immelt that he had the nerve to criticize the State of Connecticut for its handling of finances when he was doing the same or worse at GE. At least Malloy was not living a lavish lifestyle on the company's dime with ridiculous things like have multiple private jets standing by to whisk him from meeting to meeting just in case the one he is on has a problem. I am not saying we can or should compare a government to a business but a person that was as vocal as Immelt was a couple of years back should have been practicing what he preaches. JMHO, Jay

GE's $31 billion pension nightmare | HartfordBusiness.com
We absolutely should be making the comparison, since many people including many on this forum believe Govt should be run like a business.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:48 PM

4,450 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
We absolutely should be making the comparison, since many people including many on this forum believe Govt should be run like a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut