Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Well for everyone saying "MA is so much better", looks to me like they are facing a similar amount of criticism....

Some local residents think snow plows could have done better job | WWLP.com
Family friends who live in Longmeadow, MA complained on Facebook about their road conditions yesterday also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 09:46 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Went for a run said screw it. Didn't check the main roads out. Some slushy spots here and there on the backroads. Road I run parallels the main road people use it to skirt around traffic so it helped with the snow coming off the toad. However, roads off of this road were covered in about 1/2 inch of ice with slushy snow on top of it.

Huge ruts in the road. The roads were narrow, but mainly due to cars parking on the road.

Then decided to run over the town line when I entered the street in this other town didn't even look like it snowed. Roads were plowed and wide open. Looks like they used this blue liquid, not sure how enviromentally sound it is, to remove snow/ice off the road.

Also with the City I live I snow mounds are breaking apart so helps a little with visibility. However, corners are very slushy lots of wet snow and liquid. Few puddles ankle deep. Going to be a lot of flooding and freezing tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:53 AM

712 posts, read 530,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Well for everyone saying "MA is so much better", looks to me like they are facing a similar amount of criticism....

Some local residents think snow plows could have done better job | WWLP.com
That's completely different. Town roads are totally different than interstates and I think are handled by different plows. I think State plows handle the mass pike/91 and the roads were night and day difference once you passed the state line. I can't speak for Springfield's inner city side street plowing. I was simply talking about the interstates up there.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:01 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Roads are terrible. Passing into Massachusetts in the morning and the roads were GREAT on the interstate in MA. The roads were terrible in CT on the interstates 12 hours after a storm had passed

Sheet of hardpack ice all over 91 having to go 25-30mph and then you hit the mass state line and it's total black top pavement and you can drive the speed limit. The ct dot never kept up with the storm so a sheet of ice/hardpack snow a few inches thick formed on the highway that a plow has a hard time removing once it forms. You need to wait for the sun to shine on it for hours. Unacceptable for the major highways to be that bad.

I remember someone had posted about how much better MA handles the snow plowing than CT and they were given a hard time. I can verify that what that op said was true. MA is way better than CT.
THANK YOU! That was me who posted that back on December 17th

Its pathetic. Why can't CT even keep the interestate highways decently plowed in snow?

Yea, I got a lot of flack for that, but thank you for confirming what I knew to be absolutely true.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:45 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
That's completely different. Town roads are totally different than interstates and I think are handled by different plows. I think State plows handle the mass pike/91 and the roads were night and day difference once you passed the state line. I can't speak for Springfield's inner city side street plowing. I was simply talking about the interstates up there.
My brother always had to wait 24 hours to get his street plowed when he lived in Springfield. He switched to AWD cars because of it. He lives in Wilberham now have to ask how they do there as just moved in last winter. In my experience Mass major highways get cleared well but side streets not so much. CT used to do both pretty well not the greatest, but not much reason to complain, this year they seem way off.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:20 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
The street cleaning crews can't work miracles. The roads were bad after this storm because it was warmer when the snow started and got colder later, which created a base of hard ice that remained after the snow was plowed. I have the same problem with my driveway. And salt doesn't work that well below a certain temperature.

Yesterday was pretty warm and a lot of it melted. We were lucky in that respect. I've seen years when the roads were paced with ice for a while because it remained cold for a while after the snow fell.

Now we're due for 3-5 inches more today, from what I hear.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The street cleaning crews can't work miracles. The roads were bad after this storm because it was warmer when the snow started and got colder later, which created a base of hard ice that remained after the snow was plowed. I have the same problem with my driveway. And salt doesn't work that well below a certain temperature.

Yesterday was pretty warm and a lot of it melted. We were lucky in that respect. I've seen years when the roads were paced with ice for a while because it remained cold for a while after the snow fell.

Now we're due for 3-5 inches more today, from what I hear.
I usually overlook poor road conditions right after a huge storm - but this was different. IMO highways were in good shape, but side state roads were treacherous. Rts 59, 110, 67, 116. They had inches of plowable snow on them 24 hours after the storm finished. It should've been embarrassing for the DOT and was unacceptable for them to go untouched for so long.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I usually overlook poor road conditions right after a huge storm - but this was different. IMO highways were in good shape, but side state roads were treacherous. Rts 59, 110, 67, 116. They had inches of plowable snow on them 24 hours after the storm finished. It should've been embarrassing for the DOT and was unacceptable for them to go untouched for so long.
That sounds kind of bad. I only drove locally, and on Friday, the streets had been plowed but there was a layer of ice in certain places. Yesterday that melted and the roads were relatively clear. Now it's snowing again.

My driveway is a mess. The guy who plows it left a big chunk of snow at the entrance, and managed to damage my asphalt at the same time. I won't know how badly until the snow melts.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Just went out to drive around.. roads are a sheet of ice on the back roads... that snow in the pictures in this thread hasn't all melted, not helping the problem, but does make it more fun!

Old 02-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That sounds kind of bad. I only drove locally, and on Friday, the streets had been plowed but there was a layer of ice in certain places. Yesterday that melted and the roads were relatively clear. Now it's snowing again.

My driveway is a mess. The guy who plows it left a big chunk of snow at the entrance, and managed to damage my asphalt at the same time. I won't know how badly until the snow melts.
It was bad, and I can't help but wonder if it was a DOT political statement.

The few times I've had someone plow my driveway, they managed to damage something or tear up my grass. I bought a great snowblower and it does an excellent job. Tore through the foot of snow the other day and I was done in less than an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut