Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,656 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We've been thinking of moving from Mamaroneck to Westport. Main reasons are the schools and community activities. Has anyone made a similar move or have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 AM

328 posts, read 426,113 times
Two vastly different worlds. Mamaroneck far more blue collar and staid, Westport upscale and artsy. Westport has become a culinary mecca with a thriving downtown and vibrant cultural scene. Westchester higher taxes, but NYC much more accessable. Community activities about even. Westport schools superior, though not as diverse. Westport makes better use of its waterfront and the Saugatuck that runs through the city.

Mamaroneck is friendly, non judgemental. Westport is see and be seen. These are generalizations, of course, and lots of exceptions. But there is a palpable difference in the vibe and lifestyle.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Two vastly different worlds. Mamaroneck far more blue collar and staid, Westport upscale and artsy. Westport has become a culinary mecca with a thriving downtown and vibrant cultural scene. Westchester higher taxes, but NYC much more accessable. Community activities about even. Westport schools superior, though not as diverse. Westport makes better use of its waterfront and the Saugatuck that runs through the city.

Mamaroneck is friendly, non judgemental. Westport is see and be seen. These are generalizations, of course, and lots of exceptions. But there is a palpable difference in the vibe and lifestyle.
Generalizations but all very true. Biggest difference is Westport is more flashy, pretentious. Mamaroneck more grounded and frugal.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM

52 posts, read 73,612 times
Take a look at the Westport town site (www.westportct@gov)to see all the different activities. It is an electic, artsy, cultural town with the Westport Country Playhouse, Westport Arts Center, and Levitt Pavillion. However, it has lots of sports, and 3 wondeful beaches. There is great shopping, wonderful schools, and great family life. I think you would be very happy in Westport.

Last edited by JayCT; 02-12-2017 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Removed solicitation

Old 02-12-2017, 10:13 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Generalizations but all very true. Biggest difference is Westport is more flashy, pretentious. Mamaroneck more grounded and frugal.
Frugal? I do not agree with that since taxes are a lot higher in Mamaroneck than Westport. From my quick review of homes for sale in both towns I see taxes on a $1 million home in Mamaroneck are over $25,000 per year while a $1 million home in Westport has taxes less than half that. I would not call that frugal especially since the house in Mamaroneck is a lot more modest than the one in Westport. Jay

Old 02-12-2017, 10:16 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Frugal? I do not agree with that since taxes are a lot higher in Mamaroneck than Westport. From my quick review of homes for sale in both towns I see taxes on a $1 million home in Mamaroneck are over $25,000 per year while a $1 million home in Westport has taxes less than half that. I would not call that frugal especially since the house in Mamaroneck is a lot more modest than the one in Westport. Jay
Im guessing he means how residents portray themselves. I sort of agree with that.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is not what the poster meant by frugal. Mamaroneck is not a keep up with the Joneses community while Westport is. One of the most cherished restaurants in Mamaroneck is Sal's Pizzeria. You don't need an Audi A8 to fit in. Get it?

Also, cheaper rail ticket to Manhattan (and more importantly, half the time), no car tax in New York, and of course you write more taxes off your income.

Yes, Westport overall is "nicer," bit it's not for everybody.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post

How do you know the schools are superior? Have you spent time in both districts interviewing faculty, administrators, and school board members?

Mamaroneck and Larchmont share a school system. Larchmont has has some of the most expensive real estate in Westchester County. And the kids tend to use the public schools. Enough said.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:13 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Not sure about the lower levels, but Staples HS in Westport has about 500 more students than Mamoroneck HS. So, a larger school more likely has more course offerings.

In a quick look at the course catalogs from both schools, Staples seems to have a more robust curriculum - SHS offers 6 languages, while MHS offers 3. SHS seems to have more offerings in Music & Arts as well. Not sure about sports.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Not sure about the lower levels, but Staples HS in Westport has about 500 more students than Mamoroneck HS. So, a larger school more likely has more course offerings.

In a quick look at the course catalogs from both schools, Staples seems to have a more robust curriculum - SHS offers 6 languages, while MHS offers 3. SHS seems to have more offerings in Music & Arts as well. Not sure about sports.
they also excel in extracurricular activities

Westport Students Busted Snorting Cocaine In Staples Bathroom | Westport Daily Voice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut