Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Does anyone honestly care if a school district offers six languages instead of three? Most kids take Spanish. French is a distant second. I don't know what's third.
The world is a lot smaller than it was a generation or two ago so having multiple languages offered in high schools is very important, particularly in an affluent town like Westport. I think many high schools in Connecticut offer close to that number these days. It is just a different world. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkDan View Post
Wanted to follow up on the 'keeping up with' sentiment. I think that is very much palpable in Mamaroneck. Especially for summer activities which basically require membership in a club. My impression is that the town generally congregates around the beach and town amenities are enjoyed by all; is that the case?
Town beach can be accessed by all residents, not private. There is also a town pool for residents, not private.
Town outdoor skating rink in the winter as well, though open to the public, not just residents.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Does anyone honestly care if a school district offers six languages instead of three? Most kids take Spanish. French is a distant second. I don't know what's third.
My high school also had German and Italian, in addition to Spanish, French, latin, etc. Don't remember if they had chinese though. So basically, every language.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:06 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
My high school also had German and Italian, in addition to Spanish, French, latin, etc. Don't remember if they had chinese though. So basically, every language.
Chinese has been coming to more & more schools over the past 10 years or so. If you graduated high school prior to 2010, most schools did not offer Chinese in Connecticut. I know some schools also offer ASL as well (American Sign Language)

I think Glastonbury also offers Japanese and Russian.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Chinese has been coming to more & more schools over the past 10 years or so. If you graduated high school prior to 2010, most schools did not offer Chinese in Connecticut. I know some schools also offer ASL as well (American Sign Language)

I think Glastonbury also offers Japanese and Russian.
Oh it was definitely prior to 2010. I'm just told they offer about 10 languages now or something, insane.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Two vastly different worlds. Mamaroneck far more blue collar and staid, Westport upscale and artsy. Westport has become a culinary mecca with a thriving downtown and vibrant cultural scene. Westchester higher taxes, but NYC much more accessable. Community activities about even. Westport schools superior, though not as diverse. Westport makes better use of its waterfront and the Saugatuck that runs through the city.

Mamaroneck is friendly, non judgemental. Westport is see and be seen. These are generalizations, of course, and lots of exceptions. But there is a palpable difference in the vibe and lifestyle.

I like this quote because it likely will equally upset people from both towns

I moved to Westport in late 2012 and can attest to the fact that there are definitely elements of the "see and be seen" crowds. Many Type-A personalities around and it's hard to argue against that given there's a show on ABC based around this fact. However, they are not in the majority and my family has no trouble finding "normal" people to hang out with. I think all the super-rich kids go to private schools, but there are definitely some $100k+ cars parked at the school's student lots from time-to-time.

The schools are ranked very high but I never know what rankings really mean. I agree with the poster who said bigger schools are better, I think this is true as a big school can cater to all levels of ability. I can say Westport schools push the kids harder than where we lived before, not sure if that's good or not. The downside is no diversity what-so-ever. Also, funding from the state is under pressure as the Governor is looking to take away from the wealthier towns to better help other school districts.

Amenities of living in Westport abound. I love having such easy access to beaches and there are plenty of hiking parks around. The longer commute I have into NYC is worth being able to get more for our money with the house.

Good luck with your decision

Old 03-06-2017, 03:20 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
I did (when I was a student) and would as a parent. If your kid wants to take Spanish, then there's no problem... but if the school offers Chinese, Korean, Arabic, or any other of the Eastern languages that I see in some schools now, and the child wanted to take that, that's pretty valuable. Otherwise they'd be waiting until college (if ever) to learn those. Same with any other niche extra-curricular/course offering - it matters to people who want them.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Quote:
You're 100% right. A million and a half years ago (ok I'm exaggerating-- 1980s really, but pretty much same difference!) languages offered at my NYC HS in Brooklyn were Spanish, French, Japanese, and Hebrew. Lol! Spanish and French are the only two that are relevant though.

Edit: Italian too. And Latin. Doesn't change the fact that Spanish is the one that really counts. And French of course also, only because it's fun

Old 03-06-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
You're 100% right. A million and a half years ago (ok I'm exaggerating-- 1980s really, but pretty much same difference!) languages offered at my NYC HS in Brooklyn were Spanish, French, Japanese, and Hebrew. Lol! Spanish and French are the only two that are relevant though.

Edit: Italian too. And Latin. Doesn't change the fact that Spanish is the one that really counts. And French of course also, only because it's fun
Oui, exactement, as if anyone is gonna stick with Korean or Arabic long enough to learn it fluently.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Oui, exactement, as if anyone is gonna stick with Korean or Arabic long enough to learn it fluently.
Most people don't learn any language fluently in just 4 years. But I don't understand your statement... if someone wanted to take Korean or Arabic and their school offered it, why would they stick with it any less than another foreign language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut