Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:03 PM

504 posts, read 385,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
No, not a single one. Dirty water very few are willing to swim in and too small. I know hundreds who live within minutes or walking distance to shorelines that never go to the beach, why would they come from MA.
It's not as bad as you make it out to be..... Plus I grew up on the shoreline in the summers, and there were lots of MA plates. People who lived in western Mass either owned homes or rented at the shoreline. This was in the Old Lyme area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 04:26 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
No, not a single one. Dirty water very few are willing to swim in and too small. I know hundreds who live within minutes or walking distance to shorelines that never go to the beach, why would they come from MA.
Not a single beach that could be turned into a destination place that would make money for the state?

I'd heard over the years that the beaches are polluted now but thought maybe that had changed. I have fond memories of Niantic (MANY dinosaur years ago, distant childhood) and Rocky Neck many years ago. Is Rocky Neck not good anymore too?

You ask why would they come from MA? Because not all of us live in Boston! Many of us live just over the state line in the CT River Valley. The Cape is about a four hour drive for us but CT beaches we could do in a day trip. When I was a kid, we drove down to the CT shore to go to the beach for a day. The Cape was only for a week or two vacation--much too far for a day trip.

People from the Farmington Valley are almost as landlocked as MA people in the CT Valley and they would go to the beach in CT if a nice beach were available to them.

As it is, your beaches are only for those who live on them, mostly for boating. I love your coastal towns like Essex with the Griswold Inn. We CT Valley people are more oriented to CT than to MA and we hardly ever go to Boston.

So that's my only suggestion since I don't live there anymore. I will be moving there because I'm retired. If you had some more cute, destination seacoast towns with good restaurants, shopping, scenery, people would make it a day trip or an overnight trip. Maybe it wouldn't help much but everyone loves being near a beach in summer. More jobs, even if they were seasonable, would be a benefit.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not a single beach that could be turned into a destination place that would make money for the state.
That is correct

Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So basically turn Connecticut into Alabama. That's what happens in a race to the bottom. UConn? Close the doors. .
Nonsense. There are 24 states whose taxation ranks below the median state. Tn offers 2 year college scholarships available to all high school grads with even a modest college GPA. Budget surpluses. Great roads. Terrific state parks. All w/o an income tax.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:31 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Connecticut is just east New Jersey

Old 05-16-2017, 08:56 PM

21,759 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
That is correct
The coastline is very beautiful though and many coastline towns are picturesque.

I brought a friend that's from Westchester to Madison and Guilford lately. They were blown away, and yes, they loved the little beach at Madison Beach Hotel. They thought it was gorgeous.

But they had no idea anything like those towns existed beyond Mystic. They want to visit that area more now.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 PM

21,759 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut is just east New Jersey
Where'd you get that one from? They are very different

Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Where'd you get that one from? They are very different
Sport wise it is

New Jersey root for Philly and NYC teams like CT to Boston and NYC sports wise. Both states are situated between two major cities, but lack any world class cities of their own. Both states are known mainly for their suburban areas, and have awful cities.

Connecticut is more similar to Massachusetts/Rhode Island expect Fairfield County its is more similar to Northern New Jersey, Westchester County than MA

Last edited by BPt111; 05-16-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
My two favorites are term limits and no Income tax, and increase the sales tax. There are WAY around many old hats lingering who treat this as a career job and do nothing more but keep themselves in power. Rosa is a perfect example.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The coastline is very beautiful though and many coastline towns are picturesque.

I brought a friend that's from Westchester to Madison and Guilford lately. They were blown away, and yes, they loved the little beach at Madison Beach Hotel. They thought it was gorgeous.

But they had no idea anything like those towns existed beyond Mystic. They want to visit that area more now.
I've mentioned multiple times on here the coast is scenic, great for boating, fishing, sailing, kayaks and so on, but it's never going to be a beach destination state, ever. Mother Nature made it that way. I suppose one can drive a couple of hours to check out Hammonasett or Sherwood for a half a day before boredom sets in it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut