Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 06:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Over 4hrs of lightning now. W...t..f!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Haven't been able to let the dogs go do their thing after dinner thanks to this.. crazy! Def the best lightning show we've had all season.
What a great storm! The cats were happy with the open windows and breeze - what few I could leave open that is.

I was thinking last night that it was definitely a summer type storm, have not heard one like that for awhile!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I was driving through Pound Ridge, NY when the warning appeared on my iPhone. I didn´t read the warning, just saw the box appear on the screen and thought it was a flash flood warning. Then it started to get really dark and the rain was so intense that it felt the sky was falling. By the time I was near the downtown of Bedford, NY plenty of dime size hail started to fall mixed with the heavy rain. That was it, I had to stop so I parked in a church´s parking lot. As I´m waiting for the deluge to end I take my iPhone from the cellphone holder and for the first time I read the warning. It was a freakin tornado warning and telling me to take shelter! I was shocked and started to look around and focus on the noise, in case I could spot if a tornado was coming my way.

I´m not an easily scared person, but I do have to say that during that moment I did wished to be home. So many things could had gone wrong, from giant trees falling on me to a gush of strong water sweeping my car with me away to even a tornado tossing me around. Everything went through my mind. As soon that the hail stop and the downpour subsided somewhat, I was back on the road going home. Way too much water on the road, at times it felt as if I was driving in a river.

I´m glad I made it safe and sound. I consider myself lucky I was not in the path of that tornado. I hope no casualties come out of this storm.
I think I drove through that same sell in New Canaan last night. Didn't get the tornado warning, but I got the hail and the rain. The rain was so intense that you couldn't go more than 5-10 mph - there was absolutely no visibility even with the wipers on max. Plus it was really dark. And so much flash flooding on the roads - was a little dicey at times.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,204 times
I can't edit my previous post. The old clip from channel 30 was related to the Windsor Locks tornado of 1979.

Today? The fog burned off in Newington by the Berlin Turnpike. The sun was out for maybe a half hour. It clouded right back up. Getting a little sun near Berlin town hall and their library.

The three brooks I walked over were high, but not trying to come onto the road.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:46 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Skies are clear and sun is out as of 8am in Wallingford. Not a cloud in sight at the moment.
Turned out to be a nice day! Now cloudied over. Good. Who needs sun with heat? Mid 70s out there and humid.

1:45pm Map. Looks like most of Western CT is sunny.

And Yes, its snowing over southern Canada and N.Dakota. Calgary had their worst October snowstorm in 100 years. Breaking all kinds of records. Go to last page

Old 10-03-2018, 01:22 PM

NWS is in New Canaan & Norwalk. There's nothing widespread and don't people understand what rotting means and a totally saturated ground? Of course trees will come down in strong gusts.

I bet you they classify it as a microburst

https://twitter.com/jscheckerNBCCT/s...61548624011270

Old 10-03-2018, 02:20 PM

833 posts, read 500,308 times
@Cambium

https://twitter.com/ryanhanrahan/sta...80823434739713

Quote:
Public Information Statement
National Weather Service New York NY
411 PM EDT Wed Oct 3 2018

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 10/02/2018 TORNADO EVENT...

.Preliminary survey results for New Canaan, CT...

Start Location...New Canaan in Fairfield County, CT
End Location...TBD
Date...October 2 2018
Estimated Time...5:29 pm
Maximum EF-Scale Rating...EF1
Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...100 mph
Maximum Path Width...100 yards pending further survey results.
Path Length...TBD
Beginning Lat/Lon...41.14074N/-73.5027W
Ending Lat/Lon...TBD
* Fatalities...0
* Injuries...0

...Summary...
The thunderstorm produced a tornado near the intersection of Weed St and
Marshall Ridge Rd. The damage is primarily to trees and cars in the area.
The survey is still ongoing and the PNS will be updated as more information
is available.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstodur View Post
lol. What?! 100mph? I would think there would be more sustained damage and trees and lines down. I did see a couple of trees in New Canaan that fell in different direction though. I should have known.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:16 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. What?! 100mph? I would think there would be more sustained damage and trees and lines down. I did see a couple of trees in New Canaan that fell in different direction though. I should have known.
There is extensive damage in the Silvermine area --- Wilton & New Canaan (Valley, Thayer Pond, Mariomi Roads). Did you drive around?

Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
There is extensive damage in the Silvermine area --- Wilton & New Canaan (Valley, Thayer Pond, Mariomi Roads). Did you drive around?
Coordinates they use start the path on the other side of New Canaan. Didnt hear or see reports near wilton side.
When they do final report we'll see the path of it.

I drove around West New Canaan and didnt see extensive damage. Trees and branches down Yes, extensive over big area...No.

But with these things its hit and miss. Not like it was a mile wide.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:05 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Also today was supposed to be a sunny day. You all said yesterday was it for rain.

Not so fast.

Today and tomorrow are now 100% cloudcover with potential continued rain.

Sunny October 2018 days to date thus far? 0
Sun was out all day in Norwalk, was a BEAUTIFUL time on the water around 3 till sunset!! (those are bottles of bbq sauce, not beer)

Setting sun over South Norwalk today..

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 2-sunset.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut